Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Caphewin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I first went to my doctor because I was having frequent choking episodes, and when they happened I had the worst pain shooting down my arms, like being jabbed with 1000 needles, and the pain would last for up to 30 minutes after I'd stopped choking. I was concerned with the pain in my arms, but doctor was concerned about the choking...so thyroid tests, GERD tests, nothing. Just got back from another follow and told doctor about the dizzy spells I've started having, as well as the palpitations. I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, but now when I describe the feeling when I'm having trouble breathing, it doesn't sound like asthma at all. This was a new doctor I saw today and she listened to my heart and said that I had a heart murmur, and very likely MVP as well. My question to others is, do you ever have sharp needle like pain going down your arms or across your chest or back from a bad coughing or sneezing fit?

Comment from: m wells, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with MVP during the pregnancy with my twins at age 38. I became very tired. anxious, and unmotivated. Although it did pass after their birth I have had continuing symptoms off and on. I am now 54 years old and have been going thru menopause and symptoms have worsened. Very tired anxious at times not motivated. Headaches and i feel not like myself at all. I have always been very energetic and my glass always half full. Now my energy level low and always down. My OB GYN says its horomones.

Comment from: Divarie, Published: May 20

I was diagnosed when I was 14. My doctor didn't prescribe any medications, just to have an echo once every two years. I went to another doctor just to make sure – they say I should be careful because there's a possibility of having a stroke. It's been seven years since I was diagnosed with MVP. Before, I only felt palpitations, tingling of my left hand, headaches, and sudden chest pain, which goes away in a few minutes. Sometimes when I'm short of breath, my back hurts. My cardiologist said that I just need to exercise the muscles on my back by stretching. Lately, I've been feeling this bruise-like pain that feels heavy. It's really bothersome and I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: BermyGee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I am in Bermuda. I also have MVP. I was told last year when I did a full physical. But before that, I was having complications such as coughing and sharp pinches around the heart and sternum and also an irregular heartbeat. Almost a year has passed since I was told of MVP, and things have gotten somewhat worse. Today, I am getting fatigued, my eyes look tired and red a lot, and I'm still coughing and having more and more pinches in the chest. My breathing is getting worse when I sit or lie down. My doctor told me if the breathing gets worse to go to the emergency room. I am 39 years old.

Comment from: Mare, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I was diagnosed with MVP more than 24 years ago. I am 46 now. I took beta blockers (for two months), and they made me so tired and out of it I stopped taking them. I get the flutters/palpitations all the time. I have never passed out. I have had only two electrocardiograms since the diagnosis. I have been told to basically ignore it. Do not breathe any differently when you get an attack or you can pass out due to hyperventilation rather than the MVP. Stress plays a major role in MVP, so try not to let that happen. Most of all, do not worry about it! If something changes, see your doctor and then discuss your options. This is a very livable condition. The nurse and I get a chuckle every time she takes my pulse as it does skip a beat very often!

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I feel that I have had this condition since I was 13 or 14. At that time, I would only have an occasional glub or flutter of the heart. At the age of 22 or 23, I mentioned this to my doctor and they did an EKG, which I thought was stupid because my symptoms were occasional. The EKG found nothing. They said I had anxiety instead and put me on Paxil. My heart continued to do the occasional flutter where it feels like it's pausing then making up for beats right away. Not one time that I have been to the doctor have they heard anything in the stethoscope. I am now 30 and for the past month, I have been experiencing more and more palpitations. Walking up a hill seems to make me out of breath. My mother has had mitral valve prolapse since her 20s, so I'm pretty sure I have it as well. I have no confidence in doctors and am terrified to go see one. Plus it seems to me that the medications they give me don't really help.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?