Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Latiesha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I feel good sometimes but, when I suffer from mitral valve prolapse (MVP) symptoms they are usually, excessive sweating, chest pain, shortness of breath, and fatigue. The pain usually starts right behind my scar from my open heart surgery. After the tension in my chest has passed, I can gain a sense of my whereabouts. I have a hard time with my vision during these episodes. I experience these symptoms two to three times a week.

Comment from: keep calm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 39-year-old female and was diagnosed at age 9 with mitral valve prolapse. They monitored it throughout my childhood and teens, and I hated it. I felt fine. I studied professional ballet for 16 years, have lots of energy, am quite slim and eat a lot. My blood pressure has always been low. I stopped getting it monitored in my 20s, and about four years ago, I had an echo done by a doctor who was fresh out of medical school. He said I had "severe regurgitation" and that if I didn't have surgery soon, I would be gasping for air on staircases within two years. That never happened. I don't take drugs for it, and I still work out. I'm mainly asymptomatic with only occasional palpitations or sharp pains if I lie on my left side. I do have migraines and occasionally feel anxious but honestly, that runs in my family and no one else has mitral valve prolapse. I think that too many doctors want to perform expensive surgeries and scare people into them. Try to live your life: eat well, exercise, sleep and try not to stress. I still have an internist who really wants me to get it looked at again and I probably will, but the thing is, I've never broken a bone or had a surgery and the last thing I want to do is invite trouble for something that may never kill me.

Comment from: chippies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have suffered from MVP for 20 years, starting out with the feeling of skipping and racing in my chest, to trying to catch my breath. After being told I was having panic attacks, I still felt things were not right, I went to a heart specialist and he did all the right tests and put me on Inderal, this beta blocker has made things better, I still feel the flutter, skipping and racing at times, but much less than before. I do not have caffeine or chocolate it actually makes my heart go crazy, but I find when it acts up I eat a banana and drink orange juice together it really helps, I try not to focus on the skipping and although its scary and hard not too, it helps. No one can understand how this feels unless it happens to you, I know how you all feel and if my story helps, I'd love to know.

Comment from: Kelekat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed at age 26, six months after giving birth to my eldest daughter. I ended up in the emergency room with an out of control heart rate and an impending feeling of smothering. My cardiologist prescribed Tenormin - 10 mg per day and after one year, weaned me off of it (Thank goodness. It made me weak and tired and unable to function). My most severe symptoms in the years since have been palpitations, and insomnia. However, now that I am in my late 40's, I find that symptoms are appearing at an alarming rate, particularly panic and/or anxiety attacks--those include rapid heart rate and palpitations, a smothering feeling which rather resembles hyperventilation, cold sweats, and numbness in my hands. It is quite disconcerting. Oh, and I've noticed that my sensitivity to Epinephrine has increased. My last dentist's visit which included Novocaine, brought on a 20 minute panic attack, due I am sure to the epi in the Novocaine.

Comment from: shan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been suffering many symptoms over the past 12 months it began with headaches then depression anxiety, panic attacks and palpitations. I also experience other symptoms including chest pain, stinging in veins and shaking inside which must be my nerves. I have been to my GP on numerous occasions and have even visited AE! No one has diagnosed anything even after many tests. Basically, I felt like I was going crazy until I tap into this site and can't wait until tomorrow to contact my GP and basically diagnose myself. If it wasn't for finding this I probably would have cracked up. All I can say is don't suffer in silence.

Published: July 28

I was diagnosed with MVP about 3 years ago. I was having dizzy spells and palpitations a lot. I have also felt like I couldn't take a deep breath a lot of the time. I also suffer from feeling tired a lot of the time. I went to see the Cardiologist were they found MVP. I am relieved that I wasn't crazy. I also suffered with panic attacks that left me in the emergency room three different times thinking that something really bad was happening to me. My doctor put me on a Beta Blocker and an anxiety medication. Together the two have seemed to help the palpitations and extra beats or fluttering. I also have not suffered from a panic attack in a long while. I still suffer from feeling like I can not get a good breath a lot of the time, but over all I think I am more relaxed that I know what it is that is causing these crazy symptoms. I do notice that I have a much harder time maintaining and taking off weight now that I have been taking this medication. I wish everyone luck with MVP it is a very tricky problem and also scary at times. We just have to take each day at a time.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?