Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

It has been so refreshing to find this site and read other's experiences. I was just diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) a few months ago. I had been seeing a doctor for 3 years due to increasing symptoms of muscle weakness, heavy fatigue, some shortness of breath and an overall feeling of being unwell. I am usually a very energetic and active person, but I was finding myself frequently missing work and unable to just get through a regular day. It finally got to the point where just walking around my house exhausted me and caused my heart to race, and shortness of breath. My general physician sent me to a cardiologist who diagnosed the MVP through an echo. I started a beta blocker to control my racing pulse. This has helped quite a bit. I still have frequent episodes of exhaustion, muscle cramps, and some shortness of breath. Stress and running a hectic schedule makes it worse. I keep being told by doctors and specialists that I shouldn't have any symptoms with MVP, especially because my prolapse is so minor, but I feel so much better reading all of your posts. Nice to know others are experiencing similar things.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed after extensive testing a couple of years ago with mitral valve prolapse (MVP), because I was doing Curves workout and couldn't understand why I was so short of breath and yet women 10 years older than me were not! (I'm 65) It's annoying not to be able to hike or even walk too fast with this mitral prolapse thing. And I understand most people have a bit of it 60 and older. I do take 25 mg of atenolol and though there is some heart issues on one side of family (siblings have atrial fibrillation, I don't) it seems I should be able to exercise more than I can, without this annoyance.

Comment from: Kirsti, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with (mitral valve prolapse) MVP when I was 20. I was experiencing some chest pain so I went to a cardiologist. Upon having an EKG, it was diagnosed. It causes very few problems for me other than the occasional flittering of the valve which I can feel and with that, some feelings of anxiety. I still exercise regularly and without any difficulty.

Comment from: Doug, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with MVP (mitral valve prolapse) when I was 20. Other than dental procedures I never gave it another thought. When I was 45 I awoke one day unable to breath or stand. Paramedics were called and I was rushed to the hospital. My mitral valve had snapped and my lungs were filling with fluid. I was in surgery the next day and my valve was repaired. The repair lasted about a year when it slipped and started leaking again. It's been 5 years. I get an echo every 6 months. Just waiting to hear the news that I have to replace the valve. If you have MVP pay attention to it.

Comment from: Mythili, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed to have MVP (mitral valve prolapse) when I was 18 years. I used to have very bad shortness of breath and palpitations. I was in the emergency room most of the nights and finally echocardiogram helped the doctors in diagnosing it. I was on medications for a few months and slowly I started practicing my dance and other normal activities. Now I'm able to lead a healthy and asymptomatic life. Sometimes doctors really scare us but still we need to continue with our physical activities.

Comment from: Govender 27, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 07

About 3 years ago I started feeling a tingling feeling in my left arm and the left side of my chest. Then one night I felt shortness of breath, dizziness and felt as if my heart was racing. I was rushed to the emergency room just for them to tell me everything was fine. I was rushed again 3 times after that with no conclusive answer. Then my general physician diagnosed it as anxiety and I was put on Xanor. This actually helped for a couple months but I started getting sharp pains in my left arm. So I went to see a cardiologist and he diagnosed me with MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and put me on Lanoxin. I am so glad that I haven't been going mad and there is really an issue with me as over the past 3 years it was worrying to have all these symptoms.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?