Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment

What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?

Comment from: arjay, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 16

After the sudden death of my husband, about 32 years ago, I experienced a fast heart rate and I saw my family physician immediately. At the time he said "Don't let anyone tell you that you have heart trouble". He kept me in a room in his office after giving me something to medicate the heart rate. I relaxed and eventually was released to go home. While visiting my parents shortly after that they felt I should see a heart specialist in a larger city and he diagnosed me with the Mitral Valve Prolapse. He prescribed 10mg Inderal twice daily. I now use Propranolol (generic)I continue to use that medication to the present time.

Comment from: amandahewettart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

So i am 23 now and was diagnosed at age 14 after a number of fainting spells. It actually took a Health Analysis from the School of Metaphysics to find out the prolapse was due to a deficiency in thiamine, vitamin b1. I started taking a 250mg tablet each morning and I have no more heart palpitations. The mental cause and though pattern was "not having the attention in the present moment”. Which makes sense as the cause of my panic attacks. Funny, my heart stops beating if my attention is not in the present. I practice a 10 min focus exercise each morning with a candle and I now hold my attention with people instead of endless daydreaming. Thought is cause and by changing my mental pattern of disengagement my heart has healed.

Comment from: RNRM, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

Taurine and magnesium work wonders for my mitral valve prolapse (MVP). I have no more palpitations, no more chest pain.

Comment from: Reggie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

What's really helped me is taking magnesium supplements. I take a 450-mg tablet every morning and I have almost no palpitations anymore, as opposed to palpitations every five minutes before. Good thing about magnesium – it is a supplement, not a medicine. I've heard that excess magnesium leaves the body through the “backdoor.” I recommend it to all MVP sufferers. Try this one out – it improved my quality of life amazingly.

Comment from: sadgirl, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My boyfriend recently died at 27 years old of a floppy mitral valve. He had NO symptoms. We never knew he had it. On Christmas day he suddenly had, what I believe was a seizure, and was in cardiac arrest and became unconscious. He was shocked by paramedics numerous times, within 5 minutes after seizure and at the hospital as well. Sadly, he never made it. They say that having MVP is not a big problem, and people live a normal life with it. Apparently this is not true.

Comment from: Debbie Rowley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I too was told I had mitral valve prolapse. For years I had horrible palpitations. But several years ago I had a heart catherization ablation and I have not experienced a palpitation since. It really helped me! I am 58 years old. I had the ablation done when I was around 40 years old. IT WORKED FOR ME!! I don't know if they are still doing this procedure, but it sure made a difference in my life.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?