Patient Comments: Migraine Headache - Symptoms

Do you experience an "aura" prior to your migraine headache?

Comment from: Coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I don't really get an aura, but I have noticed that I will get extremely tired before I get a migraine. Extremely tired. What has helped me is knowing that when I take Imitrex, I can also take an over-the-counter relief medication such as Excedrin migraine (includes acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine). My doctor never told me that I could take the two together, a friend did. Since I have been taking them both together I have had a lot of success and no longer feel like I have to go to the hospital for my migraines. In fact, I usually take just one of each. In the past I would have to take several doses of Imitrex (alone) and it wouldn't work for me. I also find that steam helps as there seems to be a sinus connection for me. So whenever I have a bad one I usually end up steaming.

Comment from: debsgon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Aura's are present just before and during severe migraines.

Comment from: dyspepticon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 47 year old male and I first recognized the attack about 10 years ago. No aura experienced. Usually the headache is not as debilitating as the vertigo and nausea. Daily exercise probably helps make episodes less frequent, sometimes months in between. Only OTC medications ever tried, with moderate efficacy. Last episode was a week ago, and lasted several days. Was able to work, but just barely. Still feel a little off.

Comment from: Leslie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Yes. Once the “whirly-gigs” (aura spinners) start spinning, then I know that I have 10 to 15 minutes to get to a safe place (off the road, laying on the sofa, in a chair at work) to wait out the “light show.” Thirty to 45 minutes later, the aura ebbs and the headache slowly drives in.

Comment from: territory sufferer, 35-44 Female Published: October 24

I'm 36 years old. I have suffered migraines for as long as I can remember. I get auras (different colors), blurred vision, and I experience light sensitivity. I've tried many different medications. Normally, I end up in the hospital. I hate not being able to function for days.

Comment from: GOWRI, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 20

I seem to get (a sudden attack of)headache when I wake up at night/early morning (have an infant)with a jerk. There are no other symptoms before its onset.Can this be migraine? The headache lasts for quite some time and goes only after medication.All indications are that it is migraine. (I am 39)

Comment from: veronica, 35-44 Female Published: September 08

I am suffering for many years migraine with aura. It is too painful. Sometimes, they wake me up w pain in my right eye. Sometimes I am working and that pain is so severe that I can't see clearly sometimes.

Comment from: imblessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Every since I was 12 years old and I am in my early 40's now, I have always had the Auras. Though sometimes scary, I am glad of the warning sign right before the miagraine...It gives me time to take something quick (such as Advil 800mg) to help ease the pain.

Comment from: hunnybunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Approx. two days before the headache I feel disoriented I get extremely dry eyes. Then I have the aura which lasts about 20 minutes. There is a slight dull headache. About 4 to 6 days later I experience a killer headache which lasts about 5 days. This occurs only about 3 times a year. Ice packs help and Relpax is the medicine I take.

Migraine - Triggers Question: What are your migraine headache triggers?
Migraine - Symptoms Question: What migraine headache symptoms do you experience?
Migraine - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment do you get for your migraines? Does it help?
Migraine - Relief Question: Do self-care measures give you relief from your migraine headaches? What do you do?
Migraine Headache - Causes Question: Discuss the triggers for your migraine headaches.