Patient Comments: Migraine - Treatment

What kind of treatment do you get for your migraines? Does it help?

A Doctor's View on Migraine Headache Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Migraine headache treatment includes both drug and non-drug treatments. Non-drug treatments for migraine include biofeedback, sleep, smoking cessation, application of ice, and avoidance of triggers. Several medications and supplements are available to prevent and treat migraines. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been suffering from migraine for over 10 years. I was put on various painkillers and blockers to no avail. The pain reached a point where I was suicidal. One day a friend suggested coconut oil. I started with a tablespoon of coconut oil and one hour later my pain was very much reduced. Feeling motivated I took another tablespoon before I went to bed. I woke up without a migraine the next day. I have been migraine free since. It sounds incredible but it is true! I now take a tablespoon in the morning and another before bed. I hope this message helps someone.

Comment from: katie87, Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I get migraines for more than half the month and since I've been in my 20s they have been getting worse and worse. Right now I am getting Botox injections which aren't helping. The only thing I do is take sumatriptan or Relpax when I get a headache. The only problem is insurance only pays for 4 of each a month so I am having to cut pills in half just to get by and it's still not enough. I do like the Relpax the best though as it has no weird side effects like the sumatriptan.

Comment from: Loes, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 25

After years and years of suffering migraines, almost weekly and taking sumatriptan and Voltaren (not always successful), I have found the cause and consequently the solution to my problem. After a stay in hospital during which I developed a bowel problem, I was prescribed Laxsol and other laxatives to regulate my bowel movement. Result? The migraines have disappeared 95%. What a relief! Maybe a tip for other migraine sufferers.

Comment from: bela18, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

Having had these awful migraine headaches since childhood I have tried a lot of things but the medication that has finally done the most for me is Zomig, which now has a generic form. Just recently I had trigger point injections and so far so good. Immediately after the injections the chronic pain in the muscles of my neck and shoulders was pretty much gone.

Comment from: M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had migraines from age 18 to 26, they seemed to correlate with my college years and smoking cigarettes. I would get them seasonally spring, fall winter. The only drug that every helped and took them away within a day was Furanol. I don"t even know if they have it anymore but worth a try.

Comment from: older & experienced, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Now that I have reviewed the different migraines, I know that the ache in the back of my head and neck are definitely migraines. I have some which are blind spots and had them during menopause. I learned they are due to a lack of B6I also have rapid heartbeat episodes at times, cured by B6. It is important to know B6 should not be taken without the other B vitamins! It will make a need for the others giving you other problems, memory function needs niacin. B vitamins are best gotten by eating liver. It can be cooked, ground finely and mixed with other foods: cottage cheese, hamburger etc. Hope this helps others and certainly am thankful I read the article describing where migraines attack.

Comment from: Joan, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

Imitrex only worked a few times. Zomig is my go-to medication. If I take it when I begin to have symptoms (any noise is too much) then I take a 30-minute rest and the headache is gone.

Migraine - Triggers Question: What are your migraine headache triggers?
Migraine - Symptoms Question: What migraine headache symptoms do you experience?
Migraine - Relief Question: Do self-care measures give you relief from your migraine headaches? What do you do?
Migraine Headache - Causes Question: Discuss the triggers for your migraine headaches.