Patient Comments: Migraine - Symptoms

What migraine headache symptoms do you experience?

A Doctor's View on Migraine Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Migraine symptoms include throbbing head pain (often one-sided and worsens with exertion), eye pain, sensitivity to light and sound, nausea, and vomiting. Migraine symptoms inhibit daily activities and commonly last from 4 to 72 hours. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Catnandu, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I had a hemilaminectomy and microdiscectomy on 4/14/16 as outpatient surgery. Sounds as though everyone else had a hospital stay. They sent me home after I got up to urinate (1 or 2 hours after surgery).

Comment from: WEIRDmigraines, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have very weird symptoms with my migraines. It starts with a weird feeling in my stomach and then I start sniffling uncontrollably. Usually the right side of my head begins to burn, pain then intensifies, vertigo starts and then the sensitivity to light begins. This is where it gets weird. I start crying/sobbing uncontrollably and involuntarily and I mean sobbing! People who have witnessed it said that I look like the saddest person they've ever seen. I cry for about 5 or so minutes and then instantly, as if someone had flipped a switch, I stop crying and act as if nothing happened. I usually laugh after it happens because it's one of those 'what the?' moments. The pain usually goes away after the 'switch' is flipped. But I am usually very exhausted and dizzy afterwards. Caffeine in coffee (not tea) is a big trigger for me. I avoid it at all cost.

Comment from: Subbersam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have always had headaches, but when they started lasting for hours and even days despite the use of double doses of OTC pain relievers I knew it was time to see a professional. My first real bad one was the most memorable. I remember turning to a flickering light and flinching because I thought something was flying towards my face, but there was nothing there. When a co-worker saw me flinch he asked me what was wrong. I remember being scared when I turned to look at him and I could literally see the sound waves resonating from his face. I tried to stand up for some reason, I was disoriented and I thought my blood sugar had dropped severely so I made my way to the fridge for a Coke. I was crazy thirsty. The phone rang and about knocked me over as it echoed in my head. I excused myself from work and as I drove to the hospital I became suddenly ill. I pulled over and the vomit was yellow and slimy. When I got there I had to place a coat over my head because the light felt like it went straight through my pupils and directly into my brain like a laser. I don"t know if I fell asleep or passed out but at some point I was woken up by a doctor and two nurses and my head was still pounding. I began shifting back and forth as I sat there listening, like if I sat still it hurt more. I ended up getting a shot and a prescription for some stuff that was supposed to help. There were absolutely no narcotics given to me, but the relief of it all when it was over was practically euphoric. In later incidences I mostly recall a lot of pacing; the ability to stay still is lost in these cases. I also experience nausea, sensitivity to light and sound.

Comment from: migrainesufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have always experienced an aura before my migraine. I found out recently that that isn't the norm. Headache without aura or classic migraine is the norm. My auras have consisted of everything including blindness in one and scotomas. I went from having yearly migraines to monthly ones and now take a preventative every day, which has been a god send. I went from having 3 to 4 headaches to maybe one and the pain is greatly diminished. Don't give up hope, fellow sufferers.

Comment from: babynikes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had migraines since I was 3 or 4 years old. Usually mine start with "tunnel vision". I can only see a pin spot clearly. Then the zigzagging/flashing starts. It starts small and grows, reminds me of an arrowhead shape but zigzagged all over. That's when the 'sick to the stomach' feeling starts. I have found that if I can take a pure aspirin at the first sign, it will stop.

Comment from: Jeene john, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My father has been suffering from hemiplegia since last 8 years. Because of his stubborn behavior we were unable to give medical treatment. Now, present situation of his is too bad. He has not lain on bed for sleep for 2 years now. He had anemia problem and was hospitalized. While doing this assistant doctors took him straight in ICCU and laid him on bed. They did whole body checkup and explained many things. They also informed us about his enlarged prostate. I am worried about its effects on a diabetic and hemiplegic person and chances of his recovery.

Migraine - Triggers Question: What are your migraine headache triggers?
Migraine - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment do you get for your migraines? Does it help?
Migraine - Relief Question: Do self-care measures give you relief from your migraine headaches? What do you do?
Migraine Headache - Causes Question: Discuss the triggers for your migraine headaches.