Patient Comments: Migraine - Triggers

What are your migraine headache triggers?

Comment from: eacarlo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have suffered with very frequent migraines since I remember, from the age of 3. When I left home to study and work they were every weekday instead of every day. I used over 80,000 ergot derivative prescription pills after the diagnosis was determined at 22. Then after close to 53 years of migraines they stopped suddenly! That was the day the health department made it mandatory not to smoke in government offices. Finally it sunk in my head that I was born into home cigarette smoke and lived, worked or studied with heavy cigarette smokers until that day (I never smoked). Then I tested this miracle out by asking a friend to blow cigarette smoke in my face. This resulted in a painful 4 hour migraine; it only took one or two puffs. I tried the test a year ago with the same result. How wonderful to be free of migraines for the last 32 years; be smoke free!

Comment from: Lindalu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Some women will get a migraine headache the day after their monthly cycle ends for the month. My migraines started when I was 29 and lasted until I was 49, that is when my monthly cycle ended for good and I started menopause. I have had only one migraine since then, but I noticed, before I did get the migraine that I had cramps, felt like I was going to get my cycle and was extremely moody and I would get upset really easy. I felt just awful before the migraine set in, that was all within four hours. Now the migraines are starting all over again. My pain management doctor gave me a new medicine called Gralise and since I started taking the one 300 mg tablet Friday night before bed, I started to wake up with migraine headaches again. I have woken up every day since I started to take that Gralise. I have taken Gralise since Friday and today is Tuesday, June 16, 2015, I gave the medicine four days and all it seems to do is give me major migraine headaches, which makes my stomach feel awful and I have to wear sun glasses until the migraine goes away and all I can do is load up on Excedrin and caffeine and go back to bed until the migraine goes away. I usually take a shot of Imitrex, but I haven't a prescription for Imitrex at this time, and I am not going to get one. Imitrex is a very expensive medicine and all you get is two injections in a prescription. It is just cheaper and easier just to call my doctor and tell him the Gralise is making me sick and I am not going to take it anymore.

Comment from: Anneksksk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Everything is a migraine trigger; barometric pressure - heavy cloud coverage, sinus problems, too much stress, eye strain, certain foods. And I get both cluster and ocular migraines. I am getting migraines on a regular basis. Sometimes daily. I cannot seem to find relief. Tried triptans oral and injection - make me feel very sick and they do not get rid of the pain. Butalbital works sometimes, but when it does not I end up in the emergency room (ER) to get pain relief. ER trips may happen 3 to 4 times a year. I have been getting migraine headaches since I was 12. I am now in my early 50s. I am trying to get in to see a new neurologist, the one I was seeing does not seem too concerned with my pain. I feel like he thinks I am wasting his time and he has cancelled my appointment with him twice.

Comment from: venus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My migraine headache triggers are processed foods of any kind, salty, sweet, mixed drinks and alcohol of any kind except Pinot Noir, aged cheese, stress and anxiety.

Comment from: GandalfChiefMage, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 30

I have spent 23 years watching my mom suffer from migraine. Migraine is bad and when I was very young our physician explained to us that there is 60 percent chance both me and my sister would develop migraine by the time we hit puberty, because migraine is very hereditary. It turned out my mom's family had many patients that passed down. Today, my sister who is 25 suffers from it and thankfully I don't.

Migraine - Symptoms Question: What migraine headache symptoms do you experience?
Migraine - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment do you get for your migraines? Does it help?
Migraine - Relief Question: Do self-care measures give you relief from your migraine headaches? What do you do?
Migraine Headache - Causes Question: Discuss the triggers for your migraine headaches.