Patient Comments: Microcephaly - Symptoms and Signs

Does your child or a child you know have microcephaly? What were the main signs and symptoms associated with the condition?

Comment from: L Weber, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 22

My son has microcephaly. He is 5 turning 6 in April 2014. I have not yet met someone that looks like him, or seen a child with a small head like his. He does have a speech difficulty but is improving every day. He is on no medication yet, although his neurologist suggested Ritalin. He is extremely energetic, but we try and channel the energy. We control him by always telling him, you need to calm down son, and it works 90% of the time. Should my son go to a special school, I don't think so.

Comment from: Khaled, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My daughter is microcephalic. She is 5 years old, has difficulty in speech and we try a lot of speech training, drugs like speak Smooth and hyperbaric oxygen therapy with no results till now.

Comment from: Kathy, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I have an adopted daughter with microcephaly. She came into our family at 5 weeks. She has other facial characteristics of fetal alcohol syndrome, but we don't know the cause. She nursed for a long time, went through first steps, and was in school with typical kids for the most part. With lots of help, she graduated from high school. She has been volunteering with day care centers and is currently babysitting at our home for a 5th grader. She has friends and a boyfriend and with some supports may live an independent life. She is beautiful and spunky!

Microcephaly - Management Question: In what ways do you manage your child's microcephaly? What medications does she/he take?