- What is Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- What brand names are available for Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- Is Flagyl (metronidazole) available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- Why is Flagyl (metronidazole) prescribed to patients?
- What are the side effects of Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- What is the dosage for Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- Is Flagyl (metronidazole) safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about Flagyl (metronidazole)?
What is Flagyl (metronidazole)?
Flagyl is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites.
What brand names are available for Flagyl (metronidazole)?
- Flagyl and Flagyl ER are the available brand names for metronidazole in the US.
- Metro IV, Metromidol, Protostat, and Satric are brands names for metronidazole that have been discontinued in the US.
Is metronidazole available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for Flagyl (metronidazole)?
Why is Flagyl (metronidazole) prescribed to patients?
- Flagyl is used to treat parasitic infections including Giardia infections of the small intestine, amebic liver abscess, and amebic dysentery (infection of the colon causing bloody diarrhea), bacterial vaginosis, trichomonas vaginal infections, and carriers of trichomonas (both sexual partners) who do not have symptoms of infection.
- Flagyl is also used alone or in combination with other antibiotics in treating abscesses in the liver, pelvis, abdomen, and brain caused by susceptible anaerobic bacteria.
- Flagyl is also used in treating infection of the colon caused by a bacterium called C. difficile. Many commonly-used antibiotics can alter the type of bacteria that inhabit the colon. C. difficile is an anaerobic bacterium that can infect the colon when the normal types of bacteria in the colon are inhibited by common antibiotics. This leads to inflammation of the colon (pseudomembranous colitis) with severe diarrhea and abdominal pain.)
- Flagyl also is used in combination with other drugs to treat Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) that causes stomach or intestinal ulcers.
- Flagyl topical gel is used for treating acne rosacea.
- Flagyl vaginal gel is used for treating bacterial vaginosis.
What are the side effects of Flagyl (metronidazole)?
Flagyl is a useful antibiotic and is generally well tolerated with appropriate use.
Minor side effects include:
Serious side effects of Flagyl are rare and the drug should be stopped if these symptoms appear:
- Damage of nerves resulting in numbness and tingling of extremities
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Aseptic meningitis
Quick GuideSymptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.