METHYLPREDNISOLONE-NEOMYCIN COMPOUND-TOPICAL (cont.)
SIDE EFFECTS: Burning, irritation, dryness or itching may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor. Very unlikely but report promptly: redness and swelling in the affected area, rash, change in the amount of urine, hearing changes, fainting. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your medical history, including: allergies (especially drug allergies), other skin problems. Though very unlikely, it is possible this medication will be absorbed into your bloodstream. This may have undesirable consequences that may require additional corticosteroid treatment. This is especially true for children and for those who have used this for an extended period of time and if they also have serious medical problems such as serious infections, injuries or surgeries. This precaution applies for up to one year after stopping use of this drug. Tell your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur: vision problems, persistent headache, increased thirst or urination, unusual weakness or weight loss, dizziness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details, and inform them that you use (or have used) this medication. Use of this product for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a secondary infection (e.g., oral, bladder, or vaginal yeast infection). This product should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. It is not known whether this product is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding. This product is not recommended for use in children under 12 years of age. Children may be more sensitive to drug side effects, including effect on growth, with prolonged use. Consult your doctor.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Tell your doctor of all nonprescription and prescription medication you may use, especially of: other skin medications, corticosteroids, (e.g., prednisone), cyclosporine. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.
OVERDOSE: If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call the US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents should call their local poison control center directly. This medicine may be harmful if swallowed.
Back to Medications Index
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox FREE!