Patient Comments: Metabolic Syndrome - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for metabolic syndrome.

Comment from: DadandSon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

On March 11, my son and I spent the day at a diabetes center, having the fasting test along with other tests performed. I am 51 years old; my son is 17. I had gained weight for the last several years in spite of cutting back on portions and exercising. I developed gout as a 50th birthday present. I felt as if I had to have a nap in the middle of the day. Most days, I just plain felt bad. I weighed 267 pounds the day of the tests. My son weighed 245 pounds. Our excess weight is around our midsections. My son had been fighting the weight problem for a couple of years also. He is a very active teenager. We were at a loss as to what was happening to us. We couldn't sleep well at night and woke up tired. I had been sleeping in another bedroom for the last two years so my wife was not kept awake by my snoring. The kids said it shook the house. We were both diagnosed with metabolic syndrome. Our fasting insulin levels exceeded 300 (as high as the test would go). My triglycerides were at 181, and the coronary risk was rated a 6, with 4 being the normal high mark. Both of our vitamin D levels were low: mine at 21, his at 14. A 50 is considered low. Both of us had low testosterone levels, and he had excess blood (almost two units). This shocked me. It was a “come to Jesus” moment for us. The doctor said to find a diet that would work for us and gave us limits on our carb intake. We were both put on metformin, vitamin D pills, omega-3 fish oil pills, cinnamon pills and a vitamin B12 shot once a week. He said we had to get the junk out of our diet; not junk food, junk in our food. We found the "diet solution" online and have been following it as close as we can, doing a little more each week. It has made us read all labels, eliminating sugars, processed foods, unpronounceable chemicals and going as organic as possible. Our bread is now the Ezekiel bread and Spelt bread. We only drink raw milk and eat organic chickens and fertilized eggs. We have always had organic beef raised by a neighbor. As of today, April 13th, I have lost eight pounds. I sleep at night, and my wife has let me move back into our bedroom. The snoring is very little now. I have my energy back, and it is getting better. My son says he has more energy, and his excess blood is down half a unit as of April 9th. He won't tell me how much weight he has lost. Darn teenagers! We both see the doctor in June to redo the tests and to show our success. It will only get better from here.

Comment from: Female, Kentucky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and high blood pressure (HBP) within the past five years. During this time, I had gained nearly 60 pounds, even though I stayed active and didn't overindulge on any regular basis. I was extremely fatigued and most days I did not even want to crawl out of bed to go to work. During the course, my doctors had put me on lisinopril for HBP and metformin to control the PCOS. My HBP remained in check, but I still continued to gain weight and remain fatigued. In July of last year, my gynecologist diagnosed me with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome and put me on Victoza. This was a newer drug to the market and an injection. It took about three months for adjustment to the medicine, but my fatigue began to disappear and I lost 8 pounds through April of this year. In May, I decided to cut breads, pastas, fried foods, potatoes, and cakes/candies out of my diet (even though I LOVE them). In that time I have lost another 26 pounds. I am feeling much better: I have more energy during the day and I even sleep better at night. Not to say that Victoza is the right choice for everyone, but it may be worth asking your doctor about it.

Comment from: Tigereye16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome by my endocrinologist. She put me on Byetta (samples) and it changed my life! My blood pressure went down, I slept better, I quit sweating, and my triglycerides dropped. I started exercising, and I dropped 15 pounds. I felt great! The problem now is that no doctor or insurance will pay for Byetta unless you are already a type II diabetic! How dumb is that?! Now I am back up to 50 points on LDL and feeling pretty crappy.

Comment from: Hungery, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My husband was coined this term by his doctor when he was now thin 158 at 5'11. He's on meds and still has this we eat supper healthy and cut out all bad fats and still; he runs 7 miles a day 4 days a week and even ran in a marathon and still he's only 33 and I'm afraid is life will somehow be cut short due to his genetic predisposition. Now I worry out my kids.

Metabolic Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of metabolic syndrome, and what medical conditions were associated with it?
Metabolic Syndrome - Cosmetic Surgery Question: Did you have a cosmetic procedure to remove fat? Please discuss your experience.
Metabolic Syndrome - Diet Question: Have you tried a special diet(s), including the popular Mediterranean diet? Please share your experience.