Patient Comments: Metabolic Syndrome - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for metabolic syndrome.

Comment from: ladybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have gained weight in my mid section for the first time in my life. I am now in my mid 40's. Both parents deceased and both developed diabetes type 2 and resulting heart disease. I visually look like I remember my mother looking and I have never had children nor have a reason to have a thick middle section. I find it unbelievable that doctors are not concerned with my concern. My body is doing some changes and I can't find a doctor who wants to help me who wants to help me prevent type 2 diabetes. I cut out carbs drastically as I know excessive carbs have always made me gain weight, but never have I gained it in my mid section.

Comment from: Kathy G., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have many of the symptoms already described and have tried the low-carb, lots of exercise route to little avail. The answer for me is in the form of an approach called low-glycemic diet (really easy to follow-no measuring or weird restrictions). I have lost 5 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips in 4 months-unbelievable for me.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Your comments give me a new idea of where to go with my own symptoms. No one has yet used the term metabolic syndrome to me, but I have all the symptoms and have felt frustrated trying to control diabetes with high blood pressure and cholesterol numbers that now require medication. My biggest problem is getting my HDL numbers up. The diet changes I have made seem to lower them along with the LDL and sugar numbers. I think your Omega 3 addition is worth a try.

Comment from: Siva, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

1. Gradually reduce your weight by diet and exercise. 2. Expend calories with physical activity. 3. Sleep well. 4. Eat a good, balanced diet with leafy green vegetables. 5. Be stress free, or learn to cope.

Comment from: Dixie gal, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

At age 4 I noticed that our grandson started rapidly gaining weight. So rapidly that he was getting stretch marks. At first you're puzzled and then you finally realize things just aren't normal. At age 6 we took him to a specialist. My grandson had gained 20 pounds in one year. Once we were told the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome, we got into gear. We wrote down everything he ate. He was limited to 1,500 to 1,800 calories a day. He was allowed only 1/2 hour of TV (or video games) per day. (If that much) We got him outside playing or took walks. We read all labels on his food. When a large package of something is bought, we put it in individual servings in baggies. We also used this as a way to change our lifestyle for the whole family. After six months, he had lost 22 pounds. His blood pressure and triglycerides had returned to normal. But, it's still a never ending battle.

Comment from: Nick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome including high fasting blood sugar (350 on 1000 mg of metformin), very high triglycerides (>1100), high cholesterol (190 on 40 mg of Crestor), high blood pressure controlled with two blood pressure meds, difficulty with weight and waist size (242 lbs and 40" trouser size). I decided to go on a very restrictive diet of protein and non-starch vegetables with 4 tsp. of omega 3 fish oil the only added dietary fat to lose weight and try to improve my blood numbers. After a month my blood sugar had dropped to 85 on 5 mg of glipizide, my triglycerides dropped to 87, my cholesterol dropped to 85, and I lost 10 pounds. After 3 months I've lost 30 lbs, my cholesterol is 93 on half the dose of Crestor (20mg), I've dropped one of my two blood pressure meds, and cut the other one in half, and my trouser waist size is down to 34. I haven't exercised much before or after starting this diet (I know I should), but the diet really works. I've decided to stay on it down to 175 lbs if possible, and only add minimal other foods after that to avoid gaining weight. So far, it's not too hard to do. I think of all the foods I can't eat as if they're cigarettes as an ex-smoker - I just can't eat them. My doctor was astonished at the improvement in my numbers - he kept repeating that I should write a book!

Metabolic Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of metabolic syndrome, and what medical conditions were associated with it?
Metabolic Syndrome - Cosmetic Surgery Question: Did you have a cosmetic procedure to remove fat? Please discuss your experience.
Metabolic Syndrome - Diet Question: Have you tried a special diet(s), including the popular Mediterranean diet? Please share your experience.