- Take the Metabolic Syndrome Quiz
- Type 2 Diabetes: Learn the Warning Signs
- A Visual Guide to Heart Disease
- Metabolic Syndrome FAQs
- Patient Comments: Metabolic Syndrome - Effective Treatments
- Patient Comments: Metabolic Syndrome - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Metabolic Syndrome - Diet
- Find a local Internist in your town
- What is metabolic syndrome?
- How is metabolic syndrome defined?
- How common is metabolic syndrome?
- What causes, and what are the risk factors of metabolic syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of metabolic syndrome?
- Why should I know about metabolic syndrome?
- What is the treatment for metabolic syndrome?
- Diet and metabolic syndrome
- Exercise and metabolic syndrome
- Cosmetic surgery to remove fat
- What if lifestyle changes are not enough to treat metabolic syndrome?
- Metabolic Syndrome Summary
Metabolic Syndrome Summary
Choosing healthier lifestyles such as exercising; losing weight; lowering blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels may decrease a person's chance of developing metabolic syndrome.
The final take home message is make healthy lifestyle changes. Some suggestions for doing this are:
- Invite a buddy to exercise with you.
- Take a walk during your work break, even if it is just around the building.
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables and decrease consumption of fats.
- Grocery shop at healthy food stores.
- Evaluate what you feed your kids.
- Urge children to go outside and play.
It all adds up. Preventing metabolic syndrome really means having a healthy lifestyle.
Medically reviewed by a Board-Certified Family Practice Physician
American Heart Association. Symptoms and Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome.
Medscape. Metabolic Syndrome.
NIH. What Is Metabolic Syndrome?