Patient Comments: Mercury Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your mercury poisoning?

Comment from: Wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I used to work in the lab and I believe I had the mercury poisoning while I was doing the hazardous waste disposal. There was no gas mask for me to use. I was having coughing, shortness of breath, difficult breathing and tightness in the chest, sleeplessness, memory loss, muscle weakness, headaches, slow reflexes, and a loss of feeling or numbness back last year June. I went to the doctor and finally they referred me to see the specialist, but my work has terminated me since they found I was walking with a limp back in early September. However, the specialist didn't do the blood test until end of October. My blood test has shown normal, but I am still walking with a limp, and have loss of balance, sleeplessness, and feeling of numbness in my left leg and my right arm whenever I wake up every day. I am just wondering how I can prove I got the mercury damage in my body.

Comment from: Birgit C., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was mercury poisoned after a dentist took out my amalgams. I must have inhaled some elemental mercury. The worst symptom had to do with pins and needles in my hands and feet. The pins and needles feeling persists until today. It was so bad that, at first, I could not walk. It feels a bit like gout but without the swollen toes. The skin looked red around my toes and peeling similar to athlete's foot. I am much better now, but not cured. I advise anyone who gets there amalgams out to have someone do it who knows what it feels like and how toxic it is. It was not done safely. This took place in the early 2000s. The day after the dentist took out the amalgam I was in a really foul mood. That's a mercury poisoning symptom. It's called erethism. That is a symptom I always have after visiting a mercury dentist.

Comment from: SueB, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

I dropped from 0.1 to 0.05 mg on my estrogen patch and the costochondritis pain went away within the week. Prior to that I got some relief from posture support straps, not doing too much lifting or strenuous arm activity. NSAIDs were causing me stomach pain so I tried turmeric as a natural remedy and I believe that helped some too.

Comment from: hey jude, 3-6 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I was given Augmentin for sinus infection, to be taken for 14 days. After 10 days it was affecting my stomach. And now, 5 days later I'm still suffering; sick stomach and acid reflux. Nasty stuff for me.

Comment from: catwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I worked in a dental office for 15 years and I mixed the amalgam fillings, breathed the vapors as the dentist drilled, etc. I got very ill when about 29 or 30 years old. I lost a lot of weight, had horrible anxiety attacks 24 hours a day, fatigue, depression, skin rashes, unable to cope, and suicidal. It ruined my life and my family's life. I had 2 pregnancies during the time I worked as a dental assistant and both of my children have nervous problems. My immune system is damaged from the mercury also. If I get sick I am down for a long time. It's been a nightmare for 30 years now but I am doing better in a lot of ways.

Mercury Poisoning - Treatment and Source Question: What treatment did you receive for your mercury poisoning, and if known, what was the source??
Mercury Poisoning - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with mercury poisoning.
Mercury Poisoning - Fish Question: Please share your experience with mercury poisoning from fish.