Patient Comments: Meralgia Paresthetica - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your meralgia paresthetica?

Comment from: pharlie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had Graves' disease. I miscarried and my thyroid went into remission around the same time (was on anti-thyroid medications and went slightly hypo briefly before this started), but had meralgia paresthetica in my right thigh, but I also had a similar feeling in my right cheek. Both were severely, severely numb for two years! Deep tissue massage finally helped break down the resulting scar tissue and I regained feeling in those two areas.

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had pain for over eleven years. The meralgia paresthetica started as a sharp electric like pain on my right leg, near the ankle. I have been on medication using gabapentin. I've done physiotherapy, no relief, MRI scans done, everything normal, but I am still in pain. Right now I am experiencing a lot of burning sensation on my outer thigh, right side and on the buttocks when I sit. I was injected with steroids 3 weeks ago but pain still there when I sit and stand for long.

Comment from: David, Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had thyroid surgery. The next day I noticed numbness in my right thigh. I told my surgeon and he said he hasn't heard of any such thing. I have sense be diagnosed with Meralgia paresthetica. I was wondering if this could have happened as a result of being strapped down for surgery? Or any thing else could have caused this during surgery. Has any one had a similar instance?

Comment from: J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I went outside to begin the spring cleanup in my garden. I could tell how out of shape I am, but thought I would get stronger each time I work. When I came in, I felt as though both of my big toes were separated from my feet. Then I experienced pain in the center of the ball of my right foot with pain in the right outside back of my right leg. It scared me. I wondered if I was having a stroke. I have been experiencing severe pain in the front left area of my pelvis, near my groin. I had no reason to think they went together. I do have stenosis of the spine, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, have had lower back surgery, and my tailbone is cracked. I have degenerating disks as well.