Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Dean K., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I dislocated my pinky last night playing basketball, one small bone sitting on top of the other; kind of hideous looking. I went to the emergency room, and the doctor put it back in place after taking x-ray to make sure there was no fracture. He numbed it first with local injection of lidocaine. He also took three more x-rays after putting it back. Now I am in splint. Pain is mild throbbing, lessens with ice, and elevation. I will be seeing a specialist in a few days. So far, so good.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: W Ealy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm almost 34 and started the period when I was 14 years old. My period has never been easy. I have cramp every month since the first one. I often have severe pain usually the first day of period, starting with mild cramp at lower abdomen that gets stronger by time. It will hurt more and more for a few hours before I throw up and have diarrhea. After that I'll have cold flash and then hot flash, along with the cramp of course. No pain medicine works at this point. I've noticed that if I started mild cramp, I have to take Pamprin maximum strength immediately. Other pain killers won't do. If I took pill in the beginning, I have only a mild one which is fine, because the severe one keeps me a whole day in pain and I feel helpless. After the C-section, my cramp is not at low abdomen anymore. It's kind of in the middle or higher, I wonder why.

Comment from: BekahC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've suffered from cramps from my first period, although it took me a while to realize what they were, since my mother never had them. I have gastric problems and chills at the beginning of my period and the pain doesn't usually last for longer than a day, thank goodness. I used to take 2 Aleve at the beginning of the pain and that could take care of the cramps for the most part, I might end up taking another. Now due to stomach issues, I take calcium/ magnesium, use a heating pad, and sip a little wine, not very much. It all helps.

Comment from: hardlythere123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I'm 19 and started my period right around the time I turned 11, and have been having severe cramps since I was 15. I had to go home from school multiple times because I was shaking and crying, and couldn't walk (I've also had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, back pain, and pain in front) for up to three hours. All I can say is that going to a gynecologist was a blessing. Medication allows me to continue things as normal when I might have had bad cramps.

Comment from: Patricia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Twenty four hours after a meniscus tear to my knee simply walking in the house, the excruciating pain in lower leg was a ruptured Baker's cyst from the meniscus tear that formed a large hematoma in the calf. Six weeks later and after a MRI of knee and calf, a second ultrasound shows no change at all, hematoma is the same size. I have constant pain and recurring swelling. I had been continuing to go out and walk for 2 or 3 hours, and had started physical therapy. Because of recurring swelling I was told only to rest, keep leg elevated and ice as necessary.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.