Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Goldie, (Patient) Published: June 10

A rose thorn pricked near my elbow. I had subsequent lymphatic drainage from the site of prick to fingertips (duration one month). Drainage has stopped but arm is swollen from fingertips to shoulder. Treatment revealed no blood clot. Dicloxacillin was given for possible sporotrichosis infection. Doctor said I may have injured a blood vessel and that the swelling may last for nine months. I am exercising my arm every day and elevating it whenever possible.

Comment from: Dean K., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I dislocated my pinky last night playing basketball, one small bone sitting on top of the other; kind of hideous looking. I went to the emergency room, and the doctor put it back in place after taking x-ray to make sure there was no fracture. He numbed it first with local injection of lidocaine. He also took three more x-rays after putting it back. Now I am in splint. Pain is mild throbbing, lessens with ice, and elevation. I will be seeing a specialist in a few days. So far, so good.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: W Ealy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm almost 34 and started the period when I was 14 years old. My period has never been easy. I have cramp every month since the first one. I often have severe pain usually the first day of period, starting with mild cramp at lower abdomen that gets stronger by time. It will hurt more and more for a few hours before I throw up and have diarrhea. After that I'll have cold flash and then hot flash, along with the cramp of course. No pain medicine works at this point. I've noticed that if I started mild cramp, I have to take Pamprin maximum strength immediately. Other pain killers won't do. If I took pill in the beginning, I have only a mild one which is fine, because the severe one keeps me a whole day in pain and I feel helpless. After the C-section, my cramp is not at low abdomen anymore. It's kind of in the middle or higher, I wonder why.

Comment from: BekahC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've suffered from cramps from my first period, although it took me a while to realize what they were, since my mother never had them. I have gastric problems and chills at the beginning of my period and the pain doesn't usually last for longer than a day, thank goodness. I used to take 2 Aleve at the beginning of the pain and that could take care of the cramps for the most part, I might end up taking another. Now due to stomach issues, I take calcium/ magnesium, use a heating pad, and sip a little wine, not very much. It all helps.

Comment from: dummy, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

After my minimally invasive hip replacement pain has been getting worse every day for the last five years.

Comment from: tessay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I feel dizzy if I take a long walk, and my chest pains.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.