Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Nofolry, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

I am 33 years old. I started having menstrual cramps at 9 years old. My cramps started before I even saw my period at age 10. Since then, I have always had painful cramps and heavy bleeding. Sometimes it's so painful that I can't go to work.

Comment from: Mor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I've experienced these cramps I think when I first started my period. They happen every time when I get in my period. Every time. So they make me vomit, give me a running stomach and make me lose my appetite. It goes on like that for at least two days, but my appetite is restored after about a week, so the only thing if can take as food is only juices and biscuits. I take myprodols to control the pain, it helps a lot.

Comment from: susiemarie81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had little or no period since 2000. I'm 29 years old. It's been 4 years since my last blood flow. Recently I've been having some cramps. From severe to minimal. I bled for a hot minute, but I'm still having the cramps. Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

Comment from: Chujor , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 14 years and I have been experiencing menstrual cramps ever since I started menstruating n it is usually very painful. The worst of all is that I don't get to take any pills because my mom told me that the pills shrink the womb.

Comment from: ms.pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 02

It seems every month I have 2 miss work my cramps hurt me so bad I have been prescribed three different types of pain pills naproxen, ibuprofen, now in taking procet and on top of that I take 2 blood pressure pills. Taking all these pills makes me sick. I am in so much pain when it time for my period I never even bleed just lots of pain.

Comment from: Fighter_n_Lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Had awful cramps since puberty at age 12. I have tried birth control pills to alleviate them but the side effects were more debilitating than the cramps. Now that I'm off those the cramps have returned. I need to alternate between NSAIDs to dull them enough to function minimally. Exercise does work to relieve the remnants of the cramps after the first few days. But during those first days I am not good for anything more strenuous than sitting at my desk. This monthly annoyance is quite disruptive to my work efficiency and my fitness goals.

Comment from: Saima, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I have the same problem with cramps during my periods. I have tried Vitamin E capsules of 400mg daily in my regular diet and I am able to keep myself away from cramps during periods. It really works! I suggest you all should try at least for month and feel the difference!

Published: January 07

Try using a portable heat wrap (Thermacare). You can find them in the pharmacy areas. I find it helps the medicine work better as keeps all those muscles relaxed.

Comment from: lovely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have menstrual cramps just as bad as everyone here says. When nothing worked I tried two Midol extended relief (preferably before it starts). I'm able to actually enjoy the day. It works for me hopefully it can work for you.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.