Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Fighter_n_Lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Had awful cramps since puberty at age 12. I have tried birth control pills to alleviate them but the side effects were more debilitating than the cramps. Now that I'm off those the cramps have returned. I need to alternate between NSAIDs to dull them enough to function minimally. Exercise does work to relieve the remnants of the cramps after the first few days. But during those first days I am not good for anything more strenuous than sitting at my desk. This monthly annoyance is quite disruptive to my work efficiency and my fitness goals.

Comment from: Saima, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I have the same problem with cramps during my periods. I have tried Vitamin E capsules of 400mg daily in my regular diet and I am able to keep myself away from cramps during periods. It really works! I suggest you all should try at least for month and feel the difference!

Published: January 07

Try using a portable heat wrap (Thermacare). You can find them in the pharmacy areas. I find it helps the medicine work better as keeps all those muscles relaxed.

Comment from: lovely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have menstrual cramps just as bad as everyone here says. When nothing worked I tried two Midol extended relief (preferably before it starts). I'm able to actually enjoy the day. It works for me hopefully it can work for you.

Comment from: AJ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I'm 15 years old and have been getting my period since I was 12 years old. It seems like some months my period is really light, but then other months I can't even move. Sometimes I get really bad lower back pains and cramps at the same time. I sit on the bathroom floor for an hour hoping that I don't throw up. If I can't get to Midol or my naproxen then it gets to the point where I start to almost shake and I start sweating. I also use a heating pad and usually just curl up with it and try to fall asleep. But definitely using a heating pad or taking a really hot shower helps me.

Comment from: JPT1992, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I'm 19 years old and have had my period since I was about 9 or 10. My very first period I had horrible cramps and was in the bathroom for hours. Ever since then I have always had really bad cramps the first and second days. It gets so bad that sometimes I cry for hours. I have tried every over-the-counter medication. Sometimes they work and sometimes they do nothing. When I do get the pain to go away I just want to sleep the rest of the time I'm on it.

Comment from: LadyT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My cycle last 6 days. I have cramps everyday during the cycle.

Comment from: Babykakes, Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've been having cramps for 23 years now got my period at 9 soon at 14 day cramps followed nothing really helps but Aleve my first day is tolerable but day 2 I can't eat, sit, stand let alone work.

Comment from: patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I experience severe menstrual cramps almost every month. The vomiting and pain is unbearable.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.