Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Ammmy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I get menstrual cramps all the days of my periods, each month. I started my periods at age 16 and I'm now 28 years, but I go through hell every month. I had surgery in 2003 and my right ovary was removed because of cysts, I thought that was a relief to my painful periods but it worsened. I call in at work because of the pain. I have tried most of the pain killers and sometimes I have to overdose in order to bear the pain. I vomit a lot and loose my appetite for 4 days.

Comment from: Reinthala, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I wanted to look up some form of treatments for this same problem. Dysmenorrhea is hereditary on both sides of my family. The article talks about clots, but we don't pass clots. We pass uterine tissue. Please do not confuse the two. The pain I get can be so bad that I've literally laid in bed and cried. I have found some things that help, though. I take a daily women's vitamin, which has higher B vitamins. I try to take an extra B12 when I know I'm close to my period. Charting has helped me greatly. I do use a heating pad on my lower back when it gets bad, and stretching often helps. One thing I want to look into is Angelica root, which is a Chinese remedy for it; they have a tea specifically for angelica root. Exercise is always great, and it has helped keep the pain down. I have yet to find out if lowering my body fat to under 10% works or not, but when I feel prepared to handle getting that low, I will try to pass that on also. Most female body builders don't have a period, or have a very light one. So if you're willing to try to put on a bit more muscle, go for it.

Comment from: bonnie23456, Female Published: March 15

I have had severe menstrual cramps since about 14, now I'm almost 30. Sometimes the pain is so bad I have to lay on the bathroom floor. Then I begin to vomit anything that I had eaten and also start to sweat profusely, so bad it soaks through my shirt and my hands and arms slip off the toilet when I'm trying to throw up. After about an hour or so of that, the cold hits and the shivers starts and the pain intensifies. Only until I finally pass out from the pain does it start to go away. I have tried Vicodin and all sorts of other stuff but the only thing that has ever saved me from this hell is Mobic, a fantastic NSAID that is prescribed.

Comment from: Nofolry, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

I am 33 years old. I started having menstrual cramps at 9 years old. My cramps started before I even saw my period at age 10. Since then, I have always had painful cramps and heavy bleeding. Sometimes it's so painful that I can't go to work.

Comment from: Mor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I've experienced these cramps I think when I first started my period. They happen every time when I get in my period. Every time. So they make me vomit, give me a running stomach and make me lose my appetite. It goes on like that for at least two days, but my appetite is restored after about a week, so the only thing if can take as food is only juices and biscuits. I take myprodols to control the pain, it helps a lot.

Comment from: susiemarie81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had little or no period since 2000. I'm 29 years old. It's been 4 years since my last blood flow. Recently I've been having some cramps. From severe to minimal. I bled for a hot minute, but I'm still having the cramps. Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

Comment from: Chujor , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 14 years and I have been experiencing menstrual cramps ever since I started menstruating n it is usually very painful. The worst of all is that I don't get to take any pills because my mom told me that the pills shrink the womb.

Comment from: ms.pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 02

It seems every month I have 2 miss work my cramps hurt me so bad I have been prescribed three different types of pain pills naproxen, ibuprofen, now in taking procet and on top of that I take 2 blood pressure pills. Taking all these pills makes me sick. I am in so much pain when it time for my period I never even bleed just lots of pain.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.