Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: XBrOoKeX, 19-24 Female Published: July 27

I started my period, when I was 11 now I am 19. I've never had problems with cramping until now; I have a very abnormal period so I went to my doctor to get on the pill to see if that would regulate it. I've only been on the pill for less than a month and now I'm experiencing horrible cramps, I'm to the point of crying. I've read that birth control can cause a heavier bleeding and painful cramps, but I'm beginning to think that birth control is not worth it!

Comment from: Genesis, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 16, and I first got my period when I was 12. Worst pain in my life. I have fainted from pain it's so bad, and it's not just that first day, it's before the bleeding, during and after. It's horrible and as of right now, I can't go to the doctor myself, and my mother seems not to care about it. I think I have endometriosis, I'm not sure yet, but I hope that I don't.

Comment from: vampyers_white_rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I've had my period since I was in the 5th grade....But I've only started having really bad cramps in the past few years...They have been getting worse and harder. I always get them the first few days and they are in my pelvic, back and upper legs.

Comment from: BFEUSA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I started my period when I was 11. The menstrual cramps were so bad, I missed a week of school a month...When I became older and had children, the pain slowly had gotten better. However, the past few years, the pain has returned. Not only pain, but, moodiness, bloating, nausea. Things I never experienced before. A hysterectomy is looking like the way to go, eventually. I am 31 years old, tubes are tied. The doctor had to give me Vicodin for pain, as Advil and other over the counter meds don't even take the edge off. However, hot baths ease the pain and Thermacare's mentrual heating like pads are wonderful!! A little expensive, but well worth the $7 for three of them. If anyone knows of other things that might help, please let me know.

Comment from: Ammmy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I get menstrual cramps all the days of my periods, each month. I started my periods at age 16 and I'm now 28 years, but I go through hell every month. I had surgery in 2003 and my right ovary was removed because of cysts, I thought that was a relief to my painful periods but it worsened. I call in at work because of the pain. I have tried most of the pain killers and sometimes I have to overdose in order to bear the pain. I vomit a lot and loose my appetite for 4 days.

Comment from: Reinthala, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I wanted to look up some form of treatments for this same problem. Dysmenorrhea is hereditary on both sides of my family. The article talks about clots, but we don't pass clots. We pass uterine tissue. Please do not confuse the two. The pain I get can be so bad that I've literally laid in bed and cried. I have found some things that help, though. I take a daily women's vitamin, which has higher B vitamins. I try to take an extra B12 when I know I'm close to my period. Charting has helped me greatly. I do use a heating pad on my lower back when it gets bad, and stretching often helps. One thing I want to look into is Angelica root, which is a Chinese remedy for it; they have a tea specifically for angelica root. Exercise is always great, and it has helped keep the pain down. I have yet to find out if lowering my body fat to under 10% works or not, but when I feel prepared to handle getting that low, I will try to pass that on also. Most female body builders don't have a period, or have a very light one. So if you're willing to try to put on a bit more muscle, go for it.

Comment from: bonnie23456, Female Published: March 15

I have had severe menstrual cramps since about 14, now I'm almost 30. Sometimes the pain is so bad I have to lay on the bathroom floor. Then I begin to vomit anything that I had eaten and also start to sweat profusely, so bad it soaks through my shirt and my hands and arms slip off the toilet when I'm trying to throw up. After about an hour or so of that, the cold hits and the shivers starts and the pain intensifies. Only until I finally pass out from the pain does it start to go away. I have tried Vicodin and all sorts of other stuff but the only thing that has ever saved me from this hell is Mobic, a fantastic NSAID that is prescribed.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.