Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Deidre, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Regularly, usually every months but the pain varies. Some months it is very light, other months it is SO painful that the pain goes into my lower back - much like labor pains! The only thing that helps me is a very strong dose of Jamaica Ginger. I will be 51 and STILL get my periods! Sigh, enough already!!

Comment from: Betharu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 44. I had severe cramps on the first day of my period into my mid-20's. This has subsided. Now, I just have very bad back pain - which I don't even attempt to alleviate with medication as 4 Advil don't even touch the symptoms. But now, I have cramps around Day 3-4 of my period. Just lovely! I am ready to be rid of this monthly thing!

Comment from: Cheryl, 25-34 Female Published: September 27

I am 26 and I feel the pain has worsened with age. One month it's sort of tolerable, the other month, it's painful. I never thought I would have to skip work & the very thought of doing so makes me feel handicapped 2 days a week. For the first time it has freaked me out. I suffer from PMS as well. I try to kill the pain with panadol or some prescription from the chemist. I am still trying to figure out what's best for me, and I just hope that it reduces with age.

Comment from: granny#1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 40 years old and never experienced cramps until I got my tubes tied at the age of 27.Now I have severe cramps every month that are debilitating. I can't get out of bed for 2 days the pain is so bad. Usually I don't cramp until the bleeding has already started, midol use to be my best friend now that doesn't seem to work. I've talked to many doctors I even had that ablation that slowed the bleeding to almost nothing but has done nothing for the cramps.

Comment from: XBrOoKeX, 19-24 Female Published: July 27

I started my period, when I was 11 now I am 19. I've never had problems with cramping until now; I have a very abnormal period so I went to my doctor to get on the pill to see if that would regulate it. I've only been on the pill for less than a month and now I'm experiencing horrible cramps, I'm to the point of crying. I've read that birth control can cause a heavier bleeding and painful cramps, but I'm beginning to think that birth control is not worth it!

Comment from: Genesis, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 16, and I first got my period when I was 12. Worst pain in my life. I have fainted from pain it's so bad, and it's not just that first day, it's before the bleeding, during and after. It's horrible and as of right now, I can't go to the doctor myself, and my mother seems not to care about it. I think I have endometriosis, I'm not sure yet, but I hope that I don't.

Comment from: vampyers_white_rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I've had my period since I was in the 5th grade....But I've only started having really bad cramps in the past few years...They have been getting worse and harder. I always get them the first few days and they are in my pelvic, back and upper legs.

Comment from: BFEUSA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I started my period when I was 11. The menstrual cramps were so bad, I missed a week of school a month...When I became older and had children, the pain slowly had gotten better. However, the past few years, the pain has returned. Not only pain, but, moodiness, bloating, nausea. Things I never experienced before. A hysterectomy is looking like the way to go, eventually. I am 31 years old, tubes are tied. The doctor had to give me Vicodin for pain, as Advil and other over the counter meds don't even take the edge off. However, hot baths ease the pain and Thermacare's mentrual heating like pads are wonderful!! A little expensive, but well worth the $7 for three of them. If anyone knows of other things that might help, please let me know.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.