Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: in need of help, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 22 years old and have been having severe cramps since I was 12 years old. I get the hot cold sweats, severe diarrhea when on my period, lower back pain, vomiting, and nausea. I was tested for ovarian cysts about six years ago and nothing came up. My mom had endometriosis when she was my age and was not able to have kids but miraculously had me when she was 40. Since endometriosis is hereditary I'm starting to think that I may have it as well since I do take after a lot of health problems from my mom. I have one of those crappy doctors who just prescribes pills and never has a solution so I'm looking to get referred to a specialist. The pills that my doctor prescribes to me are naproxen 375mg and they seem to take the severity of the pain down a bit.

Comment from: shirley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been having bad cramps from the time I was 14, I usually take diclofenac and buscopan tablets. Sometimes they don't work; so I end up using diclofenac or Buscopan injections which reduce the pain.

Comment from: cutie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I started menstruating at 12 without feeling any pains/cramps. I'd never experienced missing a period. I am now 26 year-old, having a 2 year-old baby. After 1 1/2 months of my delivery, I had my regular menstruation even if I am breastfeeding my son. Soon after a few months of regular menstruation I observed that there is pain or cramp during my monthly menstruation up to now though it is tolerable yet I am suspicious about my case.

Comment from: simplyme, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 17 years old. I began having menstrual cramps when I was about 14. They're the worst on the first day of my period. I often throw up 10 times and have indescribable pain in my stomach. It's so bad that all I can do is moan. OTC meds don't work for me at all. I just have to wait until I start to feel better, which normally isn't until the next day.

Comment from: CoachClaudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have experienced severe menstrual cramps since my first period. After the birth of my daughter in 2001 the pain was bearable and required very minimal pain relief. In 2005 I had my son and all was well for 3 years. The pain is back with a vengeance and since 2011 I am suffering from severe cramps, leg pain, backache that my family is now in tears when they see my curled up. I have tried all the NSAIDs, tylenol, Pamprin, Advil you name them. I've had to call out from work on the 3rd and final days of my period. The last day is the worst!! Sitting over a hot water with a heated pad gives a little relief. HELP. Calling my gyno today, this is it. I am 35 and I've been struggling since 13.

Comment from: pret, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have been getting severe menstrual cramps from the beginning. Someone told me it reduces after the delivery, but now I have a 16 months baby and I still experience severe pain, this time I tried taking motrin 400mg and a glass of lime juice. I felt much better.

Comment from: Unknown, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I'm 26 and started menstruating at 14. I experience menstrual cramps on monthly basis. These cramps started at 19 and during my cycle I experience severe pains on the abdomen, lower back ache for 5days. I feel nausea & loss of appetite especially on the 1st day. Heavy bleeding such that I've to change after every 2 hours for the 1st 3 days, then light bleeding the last 2days. I also experience pms 3days prior to my monthly period. What are the best pain relievers, I usually use diclofenac but it does not help.

Comment from: Kara, Female Published: January 31

I'm 15 and I have just started having continuous cramps for 8 days straight every period for about 5 months now. I've tried many different pain killers, even over the counter and my best relief is sitting in the shower letting the warm pressured water hit my bladder area. I wish there were more long lasting solutions.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.