Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: mrs.gil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every month, it is so stressful.

Comment from: Gloria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every time I get my period the first day is terrible. Sometimes on third day they return for a couple of hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Every month but the intensity varies. As I have gotten older they seem to have increased. I have fibroids (like most every woman my age). The doctor said that can increase the cramping. I also have labor like low back pain and it radiates down my thighs. Just hoping for "the change" right now.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

On a monthly basis with headache, dizziness and lack of appetite. I used drink lot of warm water to minimize the pains. I am currently using some prescribed tablets called Fenamin.

Comment from: Kitten, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 15 and started my periods when I was 11. I get menstrual cramps every month and have gone through all of the available period pain medications that are available over the counter and five or six different types of paracetamol products. They have also gotten worse as I have gotten older.

Comment from: wutwut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I tend to cramp on the first day of my period. Once I start bleeding, the pain can be distressing enough that I want to lie down and cry. Fortunately, I find that drinking lots of water on a continual basis usually alleviates the pain when I am due to have my period. Once it does start, I am able to forego any ibuprofen or other painkillers. Also, I take generic Imodium AD to alleviate diarrhea symptoms.

Comment from: in need of help, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 22 years old and have been having severe cramps since I was 12 years old. I get the hot cold sweats, severe diarrhea when on my period, lower back pain, vomiting, and nausea. I was tested for ovarian cysts about six years ago and nothing came up. My mom had endometriosis when she was my age and was not able to have kids but miraculously had me when she was 40. Since endometriosis is hereditary I'm starting to think that I may have it as well since I do take after a lot of health problems from my mom. I have one of those crappy doctors who just prescribes pills and never has a solution so I'm looking to get referred to a specialist. The pills that my doctor prescribes to me are naproxen 375mg and they seem to take the severity of the pain down a bit.

Comment from: shirley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been having bad cramps from the time I was 14, I usually take diclofenac and buscopan tablets. Sometimes they don't work; so I end up using diclofenac or Buscopan injections which reduce the pain.

Comment from: cutie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I started menstruating at 12 without feeling any pains/cramps. I'd never experienced missing a period. I am now 26 year-old, having a 2 year-old baby. After 1 1/2 months of my delivery, I had my regular menstruation even if I am breastfeeding my son. Soon after a few months of regular menstruation I observed that there is pain or cramp during my monthly menstruation up to now though it is tolerable yet I am suspicious about my case.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.