Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: princessyurie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I got my first period when I was 11 years old. I developed anemia, and the bleeding started to last for a minimum of 10 to 17 days. My cramps are so intense, that I will double over in pain. The symptoms I get along with my cramps are nausea, headaches, fatigue, cravings, and bloating.

Comment from: angi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I get cramps a few times a month, I suspect its during my ovulation cycle. However when I was a teenager I had no cramps. When I started college I began to have cramps that were so painful that I would cry and vomit from the pain. No pain medication seemed to work and when I went to the doctor I was informed I had endometriosis and was put on birth control to attempt to control my pain. It did work for a while maybe about a year but then the cramping came back and I was again unable to find anything to relieve the pain. Since then I have disovered a routine that actually works for me. When I first started to feel cramping I would make sure to take two Ibuprofin 200 ml and then take a hot bubble bath with peppermint epsom salt like you find in the foot care aisle. While I'm in there I try and eat some crackers, some type of protein like almonds and a little bit of dark chocolate just to get something in my stomach to digest. I also make an herbal tea that works wonders for me. All you do is take one green tea packet, rose hips tea packet, and a few hybiscus flowers and a cup of water. Steep these in the water for about 3 minutes and add honey, lime, lemon, and juice from an orange. You can find the tea and hybiscus flowers at whole foods or asian markets normally. Then I sit up in my bed with pillow proping me up and drink the tea. I normally start to feel better within like 15 minutes of doing this. Also, try not to use a tampon when you are cramping bad. I usually use a pad until I'm not in pain then switch.

Comment from: mrs.gil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every month, it is so stressful.

Comment from: Gloria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every time I get my period the first day is terrible. Sometimes on third day they return for a couple of hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Every month but the intensity varies. As I have gotten older they seem to have increased. I have fibroids (like most every woman my age). The doctor said that can increase the cramping. I also have labor like low back pain and it radiates down my thighs. Just hoping for "the change" right now.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

On a monthly basis with headache, dizziness and lack of appetite. I used drink lot of warm water to minimize the pains. I am currently using some prescribed tablets called Fenamin.

Comment from: Kitten, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 15 and started my periods when I was 11. I get menstrual cramps every month and have gone through all of the available period pain medications that are available over the counter and five or six different types of paracetamol products. They have also gotten worse as I have gotten older.

Comment from: wutwut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I tend to cramp on the first day of my period. Once I start bleeding, the pain can be distressing enough that I want to lie down and cry. Fortunately, I find that drinking lots of water on a continual basis usually alleviates the pain when I am due to have my period. Once it does start, I am able to forego any ibuprofen or other painkillers. Also, I take generic Imodium AD to alleviate diarrhea symptoms.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.