Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Ouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Mine are so bad I spend up to 2 weeks a month in bed. I have had to give up my whole life. They cause me severe intestinal problems, and depression. The Advil in double doses keeps me from laying there moaning, but it upsets my stomach, but I still take it. Nothing really helps, but to just not move. Sometimes it's so bad I can't walk without a walker. I was on bio-identical progesterone hormones for 1 month and it helped greatly. The insurance co. caught it and took it away. The dr's have been not helpful in fighting to get it back and can't afford it on my small disability payments. I am pre-menopausal and that's what's made it worse-topped with fibromyalgia-the cramps cause my pain to flair. Synthetic hormones just make me very sick and they are too big a risk with my conditions. I so want to go back to having some sort of life where I can do things but it's going to be another 8 years before there's a prayer-by them I hope this periods stuff will be behind me and fat chance the medical system will allow anything safe that works to be approved. I remember when my life stopped when my periods started at age 13-had to give up my dreams by 16-I couldn't do anything.

Comment from: Omotola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started menstruating when I was 13 years and I am 29 years now. I had menstrual cramps all these years and it grew worse yearly, until March this year, my Mum insisted I stop taking sugary things, no minerals, juice, sweet biscuits. I stopped, because pain killers never worked except I take injections. Now in the last 3months, I hardly take pain reliever during my circles, instead of taking pain relievers about 8-10 times I take it once a month.

Comment from: wolffriendinus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get craps once a month, usually on the first day of my period. The severity of the pain all depends on how soon I catch it and take medicine. I've tried hot baths and showers, but they don't work. Instead, I take Midol and curl up in a ball on my bed until the pain goes away. This usually only takes about 30 minutes, sometimes less. If for some reason I'm unable to take the Midol, the pain will be so bad that I can't move. I've actually had to crawl on my hands and knees to the bathroom before because I didn't catch the pain in time.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I'm 28 years old and had cramps since 13 years old. Checked by doctors, went on the pill at 14, but developed 2 cancer tumors, which were removed. I'm not on birth control anymore. Had pelvic exams, showed I have cysts but when they burst I can't even move, or get out of bed. So painful! I tried every medicine on the market. I bleed tremendously.

Comment from: Melanie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

When I have my monthly period at the same time I get this dysmenorrhea and it is really painful and it gives me dizziness, I throw up, I get so miserable.

Comment from: maria m, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have a lot of menstrual cramps that I cannot even move does, this is my first time feeling this since I had my period so I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Ruth, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been getting cramps since I started last year. They have been very painful. My sister crosses her legs to help her cramps but I find this does not work for me. I use a hot water bottle which I find eases the cramps and makes me feel much better.

Comment from: lml, 45-54 Female Published: July 31

I'm 48 years old - nearly 50 - and my cramps continue to be severe. I am bedridden for up to 3 days. They are nowhere near as bad as my teens and 20s, but I have also had a baby and in the long run this didn't help me. I take Advil around the clock including when I am not in pain to prevent it, but this isn't the answer, since I tend to sleep through a lot of my cramps. When I wake up, I am in pain again. Hurts to be a woman!

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.