Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I'm 28 years old and had cramps since 13 years old. Checked by doctors, went on the pill at 14, but developed 2 cancer tumors, which were removed. I'm not on birth control anymore. Had pelvic exams, showed I have cysts but when they burst I can't even move, or get out of bed. So painful! I tried every medicine on the market. I bleed tremendously.

Comment from: Melanie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

When I have my monthly period at the same time I get this dysmenorrhea and it is really painful and it gives me dizziness, I throw up, I get so miserable.

Comment from: maria m, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have a lot of menstrual cramps that I cannot even move does, this is my first time feeling this since I had my period so I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Ruth, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been getting cramps since I started last year. They have been very painful. My sister crosses her legs to help her cramps but I find this does not work for me. I use a hot water bottle which I find eases the cramps and makes me feel much better.

Comment from: lml, 45-54 Female Published: July 31

I'm 48 years old - nearly 50 - and my cramps continue to be severe. I am bedridden for up to 3 days. They are nowhere near as bad as my teens and 20s, but I have also had a baby and in the long run this didn't help me. I take Advil around the clock including when I am not in pain to prevent it, but this isn't the answer, since I tend to sleep through a lot of my cramps. When I wake up, I am in pain again. Hurts to be a woman!

Comment from: ImaginaryFiend, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I'm 16, I only experience cramps on my first day. If I feel any cramps on the other days I just tell myself that is impossible because it is no longer the first day and BAM they're gone. I do feel very slight cramps a few days or the day before my period starts though. This is relatively new to me.

Comment from: pinkfire33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I first started my period a day before my 12th birthday, and had my one and only migraine, and I didn't get cramps at first, but I began having them every month since I was 15. I start having them right before my period and they're the worst on the day I start. (although some months are worse than others). They've been gradually getting worse as I'm getting older, and Midol stopped working for them, and Aleve takes the edge off, and the cramps are usually severe. motrin helps some. i have tried several herbs and it doesn't always help. heating pads do help with them and hot baths have helped with them as well. I am miserable on the day I start my period and sometimes feel nausea with them. I do exercise regularly and am trying to eat healthier, which is hard & I feel like stress also makes the cramps even worse. It hurts most in the abdominal area, and also hurts in my back, hips, and thighs. sometimes I get headaches with cramps. I learned to put up with cramps since I feel better my second day and so on, and couldn't handle birth control pills the brief time I tried them.

Comment from: Maude, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 17 and my cramps started when I was 12 or so. At first, it did hurt but it was manageable (I was still able to go to school). Unfortunately, as I got older, it worsened and I experienced intense pain in my lower abdomen, lower back, and in my upper thighs. I also vomited several times on the first day of each menstrual period. The pain was so intense, I couldn't move – I was constantly shaking and sweating. That was a problem for me, because I couldn't do anything when I was in that condition. I went to see the doctor and she gave me naproxen, which is a type of anti-inflammatory pill. It helped a little, but even the highest dose (500mg) could only ease a maximum 15 percent of the pain. So, a couple of months ago, I went back to see my doctor and she put me on the birth control pill. The first two times I had my period, it still hurt, but it was a pain I could handle. Afterwards, I didn't feel anything at all. So, for me, the birth control pill worked wonders on my menstrual cramps. I just wanted to finish by saying that you can experience side effects with naproxen, because it lightens your blood. I had a severe nosebleed because of that pill and it lasted for a good 20 minutes. The bleeding was so sudden and heavy that I had to hold my hand under my nose so the blood flow wouldn't stain my clothes. So, you should be careful when taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.