Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: pinkfire33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I first started my period a day before my 12th birthday, and had my one and only migraine, and I didn't get cramps at first, but I began having them every month since I was 15. I start having them right before my period and they're the worst on the day I start. (although some months are worse than others). They've been gradually getting worse as I'm getting older, and Midol stopped working for them, and Aleve takes the edge off, and the cramps are usually severe. motrin helps some. i have tried several herbs and it doesn't always help. heating pads do help with them and hot baths have helped with them as well. I am miserable on the day I start my period and sometimes feel nausea with them. I do exercise regularly and am trying to eat healthier, which is hard & I feel like stress also makes the cramps even worse. It hurts most in the abdominal area, and also hurts in my back, hips, and thighs. sometimes I get headaches with cramps. I learned to put up with cramps since I feel better my second day and so on, and couldn't handle birth control pills the brief time I tried them.

Comment from: Maude, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 17 and my cramps started when I was 12 or so. At first, it did hurt but it was manageable (I was still able to go to school). Unfortunately, as I got older, it worsened and I experienced intense pain in my lower abdomen, lower back, and in my upper thighs. I also vomited several times on the first day of each menstrual period. The pain was so intense, I couldn't move – I was constantly shaking and sweating. That was a problem for me, because I couldn't do anything when I was in that condition. I went to see the doctor and she gave me naproxen, which is a type of anti-inflammatory pill. It helped a little, but even the highest dose (500mg) could only ease a maximum 15 percent of the pain. So, a couple of months ago, I went back to see my doctor and she put me on the birth control pill. The first two times I had my period, it still hurt, but it was a pain I could handle. Afterwards, I didn't feel anything at all. So, for me, the birth control pill worked wonders on my menstrual cramps. I just wanted to finish by saying that you can experience side effects with naproxen, because it lightens your blood. I had a severe nosebleed because of that pill and it lasted for a good 20 minutes. The bleeding was so sudden and heavy that I had to hold my hand under my nose so the blood flow wouldn't stain my clothes. So, you should be careful when taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs.

Comment from: Wenp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 45 and had my first period at 12. I had severe cramps every month until age 22 years. I had my first child at age 21 and the cramps stopped for years after my kids were born. It's just recently in the last two years I double over in pain every month. Which is just weird I think that it went away for years and came back. My symptoms are the same as everyone else back pain abdominal pain and diarrhea. I take Advil or Percogesic or Tylenol for pain. I use a hot water bottle on my front side and back. I also take hot showers and baths. It all helps some but I'm miserable for three days and just stay in bed. My husband and family steer clear of me because I'm so mean and cranky. I hate it! I also take vitamins everyday but I can't tell that anything really helps that much.

Comment from: Alisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have tried taking kalms, a herbal remedy made out of plants. Just a day or two before your periods you are supposed to start. It helped me last time, although the cramp was still there this time. Maybe it will help.

Comment from: miss mhey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm 18 years old. I have severe menstrual cramps. I had my period when i was 10. It hurts so much. It has affected my studies and activities. I vomit and experience diarrhea.

Comment from: evette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I used to have a severe menstrual cramps. Heating pads and hot ginger tea helped to ease the pain.

Comment from: ariadna73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I try to avoid sugars all month, but when the cramps set in I usually have a cup of hot mocha and it seems to take away the pain. If I have had more candy or chocolate than usual during the month, then the "mocha miracle" does not work. I think it has something to do with a "sugar shock" or something.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.