Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Maude, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 17 and my cramps started when I was 12 or so. At first, it did hurt but it was manageable (I was still able to go to school). Unfortunately, as I got older, it worsened and I experienced intense pain in my lower abdomen, lower back, and in my upper thighs. I also vomited several times on the first day of each menstrual period. The pain was so intense, I couldn't move – I was constantly shaking and sweating. That was a problem for me, because I couldn't do anything when I was in that condition. I went to see the doctor and she gave me naproxen, which is a type of anti-inflammatory pill. It helped a little, but even the highest dose (500mg) could only ease a maximum 15 percent of the pain. So, a couple of months ago, I went back to see my doctor and she put me on the birth control pill. The first two times I had my period, it still hurt, but it was a pain I could handle. Afterwards, I didn't feel anything at all. So, for me, the birth control pill worked wonders on my menstrual cramps. I just wanted to finish by saying that you can experience side effects with naproxen, because it lightens your blood. I had a severe nosebleed because of that pill and it lasted for a good 20 minutes. The bleeding was so sudden and heavy that I had to hold my hand under my nose so the blood flow wouldn't stain my clothes. So, you should be careful when taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs.

Comment from: Wenp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 45 and had my first period at 12. I had severe cramps every month until age 22 years. I had my first child at age 21 and the cramps stopped for years after my kids were born. It's just recently in the last two years I double over in pain every month. Which is just weird I think that it went away for years and came back. My symptoms are the same as everyone else back pain abdominal pain and diarrhea. I take Advil or Percogesic or Tylenol for pain. I use a hot water bottle on my front side and back. I also take hot showers and baths. It all helps some but I'm miserable for three days and just stay in bed. My husband and family steer clear of me because I'm so mean and cranky. I hate it! I also take vitamins everyday but I can't tell that anything really helps that much.

Comment from: Alisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have tried taking kalms, a herbal remedy made out of plants. Just a day or two before your periods you are supposed to start. It helped me last time, although the cramp was still there this time. Maybe it will help.

Comment from: miss mhey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm 18 years old. I have severe menstrual cramps. I had my period when i was 10. It hurts so much. It has affected my studies and activities. I vomit and experience diarrhea.

Comment from: evette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I used to have a severe menstrual cramps. Heating pads and hot ginger tea helped to ease the pain.

Comment from: ariadna73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I try to avoid sugars all month, but when the cramps set in I usually have a cup of hot mocha and it seems to take away the pain. If I have had more candy or chocolate than usual during the month, then the "mocha miracle" does not work. I think it has something to do with a "sugar shock" or something.

Comment from: princessyurie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I got my first period when I was 11 years old. I developed anemia, and the bleeding started to last for a minimum of 10 to 17 days. My cramps are so intense, that I will double over in pain. The symptoms I get along with my cramps are nausea, headaches, fatigue, cravings, and bloating.

Comment from: angi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I get cramps a few times a month, I suspect its during my ovulation cycle. However when I was a teenager I had no cramps. When I started college I began to have cramps that were so painful that I would cry and vomit from the pain. No pain medication seemed to work and when I went to the doctor I was informed I had endometriosis and was put on birth control to attempt to control my pain. It did work for a while maybe about a year but then the cramping came back and I was again unable to find anything to relieve the pain. Since then I have disovered a routine that actually works for me. When I first started to feel cramping I would make sure to take two Ibuprofin 200 ml and then take a hot bubble bath with peppermint epsom salt like you find in the foot care aisle. While I'm in there I try and eat some crackers, some type of protein like almonds and a little bit of dark chocolate just to get something in my stomach to digest. I also make an herbal tea that works wonders for me. All you do is take one green tea packet, rose hips tea packet, and a few hybiscus flowers and a cup of water. Steep these in the water for about 3 minutes and add honey, lime, lemon, and juice from an orange. You can find the tea and hybiscus flowers at whole foods or asian markets normally. Then I sit up in my bed with pillow proping me up and drink the tea. I normally start to feel better within like 15 minutes of doing this. Also, try not to use a tampon when you are cramping bad. I usually use a pad until I'm not in pain then switch.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.