Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Patricia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Twenty four hours after a meniscus tear to my knee simply walking in the house, the excruciating pain in lower leg was a ruptured Baker's cyst from the meniscus tear that formed a large hematoma in the calf. Six weeks later and after a MRI of knee and calf, a second ultrasound shows no change at all, hematoma is the same size. I have constant pain and recurring swelling. I had been continuing to go out and walk for 2 or 3 hours, and had started physical therapy. Because of recurring swelling I was told only to rest, keep leg elevated and ice as necessary.

Comment from: BekahC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've suffered from cramps from my first period, although it took me a while to realize what they were, since my mother never had them. I have gastric problems and chills at the beginning of my period and the pain doesn't usually last for longer than a day, thank goodness. I used to take 2 Aleve at the beginning of the pain and that could take care of the cramps for the most part, I might end up taking another. Now due to stomach issues, I take calcium/ magnesium, use a heating pad, and sip a little wine, not very much. It all helps.

Comment from: hardlythere123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I'm 19 and started my period right around the time I turned 11, and have been having severe cramps since I was 15. I had to go home from school multiple times because I was shaking and crying, and couldn't walk (I've also had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, back pain, and pain in front) for up to three hours. All I can say is that going to a gynecologist was a blessing. Medication allows me to continue things as normal when I might have had bad cramps.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I'm 26 years old and started my menses at 10 years old. From the start, my cycle has been regular and involves cramps along with heavy flow for a week. The cramps are the most intense on the 1st day of my cycle and lessen on the 2nd and are gone by the 3rd, but the pain is never super bad, just mildly annoying and I used to take a Midol for the day. Now I just ride out the cramps since they're not that painful. The only time it was really bad was when I was 15; it hurt so bad I was lying down curled in on myself, it felt like I couldn't move and the Midol I had taken wasn't working. I eventually vomited and that was the end of it. It's never been that bad ever since.

Comment from: OverlyAnnoyed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had a period since I was 10, I'm 30 now and the cramps are worse than ever. Nothing that worked in the past has been working. I have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and back cramps. I do notice that it's mainly the 2nd to 3rd day of my period. I am just nervous it's more than just cramps. But my doctors say it's not. I am so confused and tired of the pain every month.

Comment from: Kris177, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 17 and having only been having cramps since I started high school. They are just about every day I'm on my period and vary in severity. I use Midol and Motrin (alternating so my body doesn't start rejecting one or the other) and drink a lot of water. I also find that walking/light exercise and laughing with friends helps.

Comment from: fofa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My pre period pain starts 2 weeks before and worsen as the day of the period gets near. It's almost more painful than the first 2 days and especially in the evening. Everyone says I have to take pain killers. My period lasts 4 days with normal bleeding, not much.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.