Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: fofa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My pre period pain starts 2 weeks before and worsen as the day of the period gets near. It's almost more painful than the first 2 days and especially in the evening. Everyone says I have to take pain killers. My period lasts 4 days with normal bleeding, not much.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I'm 26 years old and started my menses at 10 years old. From the start, my cycle has been regular and involves cramps along with heavy flow for a week. The cramps are the most intense on the 1st day of my cycle and lessen on the 2nd and are gone by the 3rd, but the pain is never super bad, just mildly annoying and I used to take a Midol for the day. Now I just ride out the cramps since they're not that painful. The only time it was really bad was when I was 15; it hurt so bad I was lying down curled in on myself, it felt like I couldn't move and the Midol I had taken wasn't working. I eventually vomited and that was the end of it. It's never been that bad ever since.

Comment from: OverlyAnnoyed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had a period since I was 10, I'm 30 now and the cramps are worse than ever. Nothing that worked in the past has been working. I have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and back cramps. I do notice that it's mainly the 2nd to 3rd day of my period. I am just nervous it's more than just cramps. But my doctors say it's not. I am so confused and tired of the pain every month.

Comment from: Kris177, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 17 and having only been having cramps since I started high school. They are just about every day I'm on my period and vary in severity. I use Midol and Motrin (alternating so my body doesn't start rejecting one or the other) and drink a lot of water. I also find that walking/light exercise and laughing with friends helps.

Comment from: NM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 29 years old and have been getting painful periods since I was 13. I experience severe pain in my lower abdomen and lower back, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and have almost fainted a few times. Last year, I had to visit the emergency room 3 times. I have a retroverted uterus which seems to add to the pain. My gyno has prescribed Evening Primrose tablets and Vitamin E tablets for 3 months. He has also told me to take Mefenamic Acid tablets (Meftal Spas) on a need to basis, but try to take them before the pain sets in. This has helped a lot. I also use a hot water bag and get a slow massage which helps immensely.

Comment from: MsBridges, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 48 and have had my period since I was 9 years old all the women in my family started early. I developed at a very early age. I still get a period every month but in the last year the cramps on the first and second day makes me not eat, throw up and tampons feel like someone sticking a dagger up in me. My only child is 21 and a girl she started at 10 year old we now cycle together oh what a household. I have had problems with prescription drugs so I choose not to take them any longer but I was always told by my mom that taking hot baths when you have your period is a no no! But I feel much better after a shower I just wish I could sit down!

Comment from: Ouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Mine are so bad I spend up to 2 weeks a month in bed. I have had to give up my whole life. They cause me severe intestinal problems, and depression. The Advil in double doses keeps me from laying there moaning, but it upsets my stomach, but I still take it. Nothing really helps, but to just not move. Sometimes it's so bad I can't walk without a walker. I was on bio-identical progesterone hormones for 1 month and it helped greatly. The insurance co. caught it and took it away. The dr's have been not helpful in fighting to get it back and can't afford it on my small disability payments. I am pre-menopausal and that's what's made it worse-topped with fibromyalgia-the cramps cause my pain to flair. Synthetic hormones just make me very sick and they are too big a risk with my conditions. I so want to go back to having some sort of life where I can do things but it's going to be another 8 years before there's a prayer-by them I hope this periods stuff will be behind me and fat chance the medical system will allow anything safe that works to be approved. I remember when my life stopped when my periods started at age 13-had to give up my dreams by 16-I couldn't do anything.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.