Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Ruth, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been getting cramps since I started last year. They have been very painful. My sister crosses her legs to help her cramps but I find this does not work for me. I use a hot water bottle which I find eases the cramps and makes me feel much better.

Comment from: lml, 45-54 Female Published: July 31

I'm 48 years old - nearly 50 - and my cramps continue to be severe. I am bedridden for up to 3 days. They are nowhere near as bad as my teens and 20s, but I have also had a baby and in the long run this didn't help me. I take Advil around the clock including when I am not in pain to prevent it, but this isn't the answer, since I tend to sleep through a lot of my cramps. When I wake up, I am in pain again. Hurts to be a woman!

Comment from: Lane52, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm 22 now. Started having my period at 12. Didn't have any pain until the 6th month. The pain lasts only the first 2 days but they can be very bad. Older ones told me to stop taking sugary stuff but that didn't work. Used to take aspirin for it but after some years, that stopped working too. Currently I take indometacin a day before my period. The only drawback is that I must sleep before it works. Heating pads take too long to work. The pain has reduced since my 21st year, though. Noticed that if I had bad acne the pain will be bad, otherwise, there's no pain. I guess there's some hormonal connection.

Comment from: Omotola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started menstruating when I was 13 years and I am 29 years now. I had menstrual cramps all these years and it grew worse yearly, until March this year, my Mum insisted I stop taking sugary things, no minerals, juice, sweet biscuits. I stopped, because pain killers never worked except I take injections. Now in the last 3months, I hardly take pain reliever during my circles, instead of taking pain relievers about 8-10 times I take it once a month.

Comment from: wolffriendinus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get craps once a month, usually on the first day of my period. The severity of the pain all depends on how soon I catch it and take medicine. I've tried hot baths and showers, but they don't work. Instead, I take Midol and curl up in a ball on my bed until the pain goes away. This usually only takes about 30 minutes, sometimes less. If for some reason I'm unable to take the Midol, the pain will be so bad that I can't move. I've actually had to crawl on my hands and knees to the bathroom before because I didn't catch the pain in time.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I'm 28 years old and had cramps since 13 years old. Checked by doctors, went on the pill at 14, but developed 2 cancer tumors, which were removed. I'm not on birth control anymore. Had pelvic exams, showed I have cysts but when they burst I can't even move, or get out of bed. So painful! I tried every medicine on the market. I bleed tremendously.

Comment from: ImaginaryFiend, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I'm 16, I only experience cramps on my first day. If I feel any cramps on the other days I just tell myself that is impossible because it is no longer the first day and BAM they're gone. I do feel very slight cramps a few days or the day before my period starts though. This is relatively new to me.

Comment from: pinkfire33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I first started my period a day before my 12th birthday, and had my one and only migraine, and I didn't get cramps at first, but I began having them every month since I was 15. I start having them right before my period and they're the worst on the day I start. (although some months are worse than others). They've been gradually getting worse as I'm getting older, and Midol stopped working for them, and Aleve takes the edge off, and the cramps are usually severe. motrin helps some. i have tried several herbs and it doesn't always help. heating pads do help with them and hot baths have helped with them as well. I am miserable on the day I start my period and sometimes feel nausea with them. I do exercise regularly and am trying to eat healthier, which is hard & I feel like stress also makes the cramps even worse. It hurts most in the abdominal area, and also hurts in my back, hips, and thighs. sometimes I get headaches with cramps. I learned to put up with cramps since I feel better my second day and so on, and couldn't handle birth control pills the brief time I tried them.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.