Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls

If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.

Comment from: vivi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I started having cramps in high school. Usually it was just pelvic pain so it would seem like I keep shifting around at my desk due to sitting problems. My flow amount is stable but it starts usually a week early than the date of the last flow. So at some point, it seems like I would skip a month but my next menstrual flow will begin right at the beginning of the next month. Once I hit college, I started taking Thai health tablets that helps improve blood health because a nurse told me I had low iron in my blood back during high school. The side effects I experienced were that my menstrual flow was not heavy and stable and I experienced no cramps at all. However, I soon ran out of tablets and the first menstruation after that was awfully painful. I feel bone pain on my hips, down my thighs, and up my spine. I get nauseous and a little dizzy, sometimes to the point of vomiting. My body also heats up tremendously and I would feel hot even outside during the winter. The pain is unbearable so I usually stay in bed all day. Depending on my schedule, if it was a busy day, I would take Pamprin and within an hour I would feel better. If it wasn't busy, I usually just skip out and stay home with heat pack. I also drink a lot more water because I think it eases the cramps. That's how I deal with my cramps.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I started my period when I was 16, of course I was a late bloomer for a lot of things. Even in my 20s I have a few baby teeth. My period has always been heavy and moderately to severely painful, not at all what I was told it would be like from my physical education classes. I remember staying home because the pain would get so bad I couldn't move. I still get all the icky symptoms: bloating, back aches, neck and leg pain, moderate cramping, chills or sweats and even cravings for sweets or salty foods depending on my mood. But Advil liquid gels and a heating pad generally do the trick. On my worst days I need stronger pain medication and something to help me sleep.

Comment from: Neha, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Hi I am a 12 year old girl, and I first started experiencing menstrual cramps last year. Whenever my periods occur the cramps are usually severe. The first time I had them it hurt so much I went home early 4 days in a row! Now I use a heating pad of some-sort and it helps me with the pain. But my blood flow gets really, really heavy. Before I read this article I didn't know why this occurred, but now I am prepared.

Comment from: Ouchie, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Hi, I am 12 years old, and my menstrual cramps bother me a lot. It's the worst 5 days of each month for me. I don't experience cramps when I just find out I'm on my period. I experience them later, once I'm wearing a pad.

Comment from: Airensgalaxy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got my period when I was eleven. I never had cramps until around fourteen. The pain is so severe, I take days off work and school. I won't move for hours. I try taking showers and sleeping, but the pain wakes me up. I take four ibrofen but my body has begun to reject it. I've also tried birth control, it works, but it makes me sick and it gives me the shakes...

Comment from: karla, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

hi I'm 13 years old I first got my period when I was 11 it wasn't bad until now. Now I have really bad cramps and my back and legs hurt the last time I had really bad cramps I was shaking because it hurt so bad. I'm so scared when this happens I'm glad I know more about this and that I'm prepared. Thanks!

Comment from: Misfit, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm 13 and my cramps hurt really bad, especially when I don't take a pill (Midol). When I take the pills my cramps and back pains aren't as bad or won't happen.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.