Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls

If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.

Comment from: kristine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I've had my pain now for seven years. Each month, the first and third day, I experience pain to the point where I am in tears because of the severity of the pain. I have tried hot water bottles. I can never sleep while having my period. I feel nauseous and can't eat. Honestly, it is the worst time of the month for me.

Comment from: Destiny, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 15 and I have had my period since I was 11 ½. My periods used to be irregular, but are now pretty regular (once a month). I used to have minor cramps, but for the past year, I have had such severe cramps about every other period – they are unbearable. At times, the pain is so bad, I end up throwing up. I'm so worried.

Comment from: Aunt Flow, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

My first cycle was light, but the ones after that make me feel terrible for about a week. Before my period starts, I get constipated, which adds to the crampy feeling. My back hurts, and I wish I could bring a heating pad with me to school – but that would be out of the question. It's not fair.

Comment from: Popular101, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Some of my friends have pain in their lower stomach, and a few do not experience cramps at all during their periods. Lucky me – I have the worst cramps out of my entire group. I get them very severe in my lower stomach, along with some aching in my thighs, ankles, toes, hands, fingers, arms, back, and neck. I also get acne and bleed heavily. It's the worst three days of every month for me.

Comment from: Franchesca, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

For the most part, I get bad cramps. If I don't include much calcium in my diet and exercise throughout the month, the cramps are unbelievable. But usually, I can get rid of most of the pain with painkillers like Aleve or Midol.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.