Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls

If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.

Comment from: Airensgalaxy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got my period when I was eleven. I never had cramps until around fourteen. The pain is so severe, I take days off work and school. I won't move for hours. I try taking showers and sleeping, but the pain wakes me up. I take four ibrofen but my body has begun to reject it. I've also tried birth control, it works, but it makes me sick and it gives me the shakes...

Comment from: karla, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

hi I'm 13 years old I first got my period when I was 11 it wasn't bad until now. Now I have really bad cramps and my back and legs hurt the last time I had really bad cramps I was shaking because it hurt so bad. I'm so scared when this happens I'm glad I know more about this and that I'm prepared. Thanks!

Comment from: Misfit, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm 13 and my cramps hurt really bad, especially when I don't take a pill (Midol). When I take the pills my cramps and back pains aren't as bad or won't happen.

Comment from: kristine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I've had my pain now for seven years. Each month, the first and third day, I experience pain to the point where I am in tears because of the severity of the pain. I have tried hot water bottles. I can never sleep while having my period. I feel nauseous and can't eat. Honestly, it is the worst time of the month for me.

Comment from: Destiny, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 15 and I have had my period since I was 11 ½. My periods used to be irregular, but are now pretty regular (once a month). I used to have minor cramps, but for the past year, I have had such severe cramps about every other period – they are unbearable. At times, the pain is so bad, I end up throwing up. I'm so worried.

Comment from: Aunt Flow, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

My first cycle was light, but the ones after that make me feel terrible for about a week. Before my period starts, I get constipated, which adds to the crampy feeling. My back hurts, and I wish I could bring a heating pad with me to school – but that would be out of the question. It's not fair.

Comment from: Popular101, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Some of my friends have pain in their lower stomach, and a few do not experience cramps at all during their periods. Lucky me – I have the worst cramps out of my entire group. I get them very severe in my lower stomach, along with some aching in my thighs, ankles, toes, hands, fingers, arms, back, and neck. I also get acne and bleed heavily. It's the worst three days of every month for me.

Comment from: Franchesca, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

For the most part, I get bad cramps. If I don't include much calcium in my diet and exercise throughout the month, the cramps are unbelievable. But usually, I can get rid of most of the pain with painkillers like Aleve or Midol.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.