Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Jolie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have menstrual cramps due to the thick uterine lining at 15 mm. I got symptoms of continuous menstrual bleeding. The doctor prescribed medroxyprogesterone tablets to force uterine lining to shed. However, I hate the harmful side effects. I tried to search for alternative treatment. I decided on herbal medicine Fuyan pill instead. After taking herbal treatment, my menstrual period regulated itself back to normal cycle. Four months later, uterine endometrium reduced from 15 mm to 10 mm. During this time, I didn't take any spicy or greasy food, no coffee, no alcohol, but ate many vegetables and fruits. Now, I got rid of the bleeding and pain!

Comment from: Helper, Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Give your kids or even yourselves half teaspoon of moringa 3 times a week. Make it a daily habit. The menstrual cramps will not be severe. My kids have been using it and has helped them a great deal. It has calcium and magnesium.

Comment from: Anon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Bananas are my best friend to handle menstrual cramps. Eat 2 to 3 bananas a day starting a couple days before or even the first day of your period and cramping is dramatically reduced or even eliminated altogether. Bananas also help diarrhea! And if you need something more for pain, Aleve (naproxen sodium) is the best OTC relief I have found. My doctor had me taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening starting a day or two before my expected period. Works way better than Tylenol, ibuprofen, or even Midol! I used to miss school/work every month from cramps and diarrhea. Now my periods are pain free!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 26, I have had my periods since I was 14 and my cramps are pretty bad. During the first 2 days of my period, my cramps are really intense and my whole lower back is stiff and painful. I take 2 Ibuprofens every 2 hours, which helps, but is frowned upon by my doctor, but I haven't found a good alternative; and if I take less it is just not bearable. When the pain medications fail me, I go home, take 2 hot water bottles and basically strap one to my abdomen and one on my lower back, (I use a blanket that I tie around my belly and my pajama pants to hold them in place) and then I try to sleep. If I can't fall asleep, I let hot water into my bathtub and some chamomile essence and sit in the bathtub, while I wipe away my sweat (cause the water is way too hot) with a cold washcloth. This is kind of messy to be honest, but instant pain relief for me.

Comment from: Chef Ceci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm a chronic pain sufferer and my menstrual cramps rival my nerve pain. My cramps have been bad since I was 12 and I used to be on birth control but ever since my first visit to the gynecologist when I had a period that just wouldn't end I have stopped taking it. I take a low estrogen pill every day and stopping my period that way keeps me much healthier now.

Comment from: AshleyJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have very bad menstrual cramps, unbearable usually the first 2 days which includes vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes even sharp pains. I have experienced this since I was 13 and I am now 20. Also I have difficulties swallowing pills, nothing I try helps with the pain!

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.