Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Anon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Bananas are my best friend to handle menstrual cramps. Eat 2 to 3 bananas a day starting a couple days before or even the first day of your period and cramping is dramatically reduced or even eliminated altogether. Bananas also help diarrhea! And if you need something more for pain, Aleve (naproxen sodium) is the best OTC relief I have found. My doctor had me taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening starting a day or two before my expected period. Works way better than Tylenol, ibuprofen, or even Midol! I used to miss school/work every month from cramps and diarrhea. Now my periods are pain free!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 26, I have had my periods since I was 14 and my cramps are pretty bad. During the first 2 days of my period, my cramps are really intense and my whole lower back is stiff and painful. I take 2 Ibuprofens every 2 hours, which helps, but is frowned upon by my doctor, but I haven't found a good alternative; and if I take less it is just not bearable. When the pain medications fail me, I go home, take 2 hot water bottles and basically strap one to my abdomen and one on my lower back, (I use a blanket that I tie around my belly and my pajama pants to hold them in place) and then I try to sleep. If I can't fall asleep, I let hot water into my bathtub and some chamomile essence and sit in the bathtub, while I wipe away my sweat (cause the water is way too hot) with a cold washcloth. This is kind of messy to be honest, but instant pain relief for me.

Comment from: Chef Ceci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm a chronic pain sufferer and my menstrual cramps rival my nerve pain. My cramps have been bad since I was 12 and I used to be on birth control but ever since my first visit to the gynecologist when I had a period that just wouldn't end I have stopped taking it. I take a low estrogen pill every day and stopping my period that way keeps me much healthier now.

Comment from: percy09, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've had horrible cramps ever since my first period at 13. My symptoms included extreme pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and I was basically incapacitated for a whole day. When I was young I used to visualize myself walking through a field of flowers to take my mind off the pain. When I got older, I started taking ibuprofen, 600 mg every 4 to 6 hours as soon as I felt a twinge of cramps. I would wait 20 minutes and if the cramps worsened, I would take 2 shots of whiskey quickly. The ibuprofen followed by whiskey remedy worked 85 to 90 percent of the time. Of course I would have to go home from work sick before I could use this remedy, but it really works!

Comment from: Callie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I've just about always had 'rolling on the floor crying, cursing at everything' menstrual cramps. I hate taking pills but have tried codeine mix pain killers and even Percocet. Neither did a thing. My relief now is Excedrin, calcium supplements, heating pad, and exercise. Sometimes I'll have some hot ginger tea, especially if I'm nauseous. I've found that since taking calcium supplement they have not been as excruciating, still bad though. Quitting smoking has seemed to help and although it makes me extremely crabby, limiting alcohol and coffee has helped as well. A few days before I start my period I seem to feel the need to be very active, I started my period today after hiking 2 days in a row which is not like me and my cramps are bearable today.

Comment from: AshleyJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have very bad menstrual cramps, unbearable usually the first 2 days which includes vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes even sharp pains. I have experienced this since I was 13 and I am now 20. Also I have difficulties swallowing pills, nothing I try helps with the pain!

Comment from: AceMatters, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

When I first started my period it wasn't so bad. But as I got up in high school my cramps were bad! Every month I had to miss my first 2 days of my period because the pain was so bad! I throw up, get headaches, and feel hot and till this day I still have it hard during my first 2 days, and I'm now 26. I have tried everything, I mean everything, and I can't find not one solution for my cramps.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.