Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Shelbie, 13-18 Female Published: August 22

I am 15 years old, and I started my period when I was 9. I have severe cramps. I vomit, wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. I am extremely irate with anyone who touches me, my upper legs hurt, my lower back and stomach cramp up. I have yet to find a sure way to help ease my pain. I've tried herbal teas, pain relievers, strong pain relievers, light exercise, heat packs, warm baths, hot showers, and even sleeping for long hours. Nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

During my period, I experience mild discomfort lasting for a few days before escalating to a high level. This intense pain lasts up to 12 hours. It tends to accompany nausea, elevated temperature and headaches, and can wake me from deep sleep and inhibit normal, everyday activity. A little careful massage can help. Constant heat (careful not to burn yourself – I did this once!) on the lower abdomen while lying down helps even more. If the pain is sufficiently intense, I take an over-the-counter ibuprofen combined with codeine – although I am always cautious with medication of this strength.

Published: July 15

The only way to ease my pain is to take extra-strength Midol and Advil and apply two heat bags, one to my lower abdomen and one to my lower back. I have severe cramps, and I also get nausea, but nothing seems to help that.

Published: July 08

Heating pads seem to be the only things that help me. Applying heat to my lower back helps my muscles relax. Once the pain subsides a bit, doing some light exercise also seems to help. My cramps also induce nausea though, and nothing seems to help that except curling up into a ball and waiting it out.

Published: June 30

I have severe cramps and Midol maximum strength is the only medicine strong enough to take away the pain. I also use a heating pad and lay either on my stomach or sit on my knees and curl into a ball. Concentrating on taking deep breaths during the worst pain sometimes helps too.

Published: June 30

I take mefanamic acid after many years of trying to find a remedy! My cramps are in the severe range of being sick, pains in legs and not knowing whether to stand up and walk or curl up and sleep! Mefenamic acid, a short nap when I get in from work (or mid afternoon if I am not in work) and a hot pack on my abdomen usually helps to ease the pain!

Published: June 25

I take ibuprofen and then put a warm rice bag on my stomach.

Comment from: wings, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I agree with the person who suggested Magnesium, except that I suggest Magnesium Citrate, which is absorbed better by the body. It is best if it is taken with calcium (or better yet -- calcium citrate.) I have had severe cramps for over 10 years, although they have gotten a little better with time. I also have found that eating Salmon and other forms of Omega 3 a few days before the period starts is helpful.

Comment from: Hanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

About every six months or so, I have very severe cramps that cause me to pass out, vomit, cry, and moan. I don't have any more energy for anything else. Every time, I almost go to the emergency room. The only thing that helps me is to take some very, very strong pain relievers that put me to sleep. My gyno hasn't given me any other recommendations, but she believes I have ovarian cysts.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.