Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Published: July 08

Heating pads seem to be the only things that help me. Applying heat to my lower back helps my muscles relax. Once the pain subsides a bit, doing some light exercise also seems to help. My cramps also induce nausea though, and nothing seems to help that except curling up into a ball and waiting it out.

Published: June 30

I have severe cramps and Midol maximum strength is the only medicine strong enough to take away the pain. I also use a heating pad and lay either on my stomach or sit on my knees and curl into a ball. Concentrating on taking deep breaths during the worst pain sometimes helps too.

Published: June 30

I take mefanamic acid after many years of trying to find a remedy! My cramps are in the severe range of being sick, pains in legs and not knowing whether to stand up and walk or curl up and sleep! Mefenamic acid, a short nap when I get in from work (or mid afternoon if I am not in work) and a hot pack on my abdomen usually helps to ease the pain!

Published: June 25

I take ibuprofen and then put a warm rice bag on my stomach.

Comment from: wings, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I agree with the person who suggested Magnesium, except that I suggest Magnesium Citrate, which is absorbed better by the body. It is best if it is taken with calcium (or better yet -- calcium citrate.) I have had severe cramps for over 10 years, although they have gotten a little better with time. I also have found that eating Salmon and other forms of Omega 3 a few days before the period starts is helpful.

Comment from: Hanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

About every six months or so, I have very severe cramps that cause me to pass out, vomit, cry, and moan. I don't have any more energy for anything else. Every time, I almost go to the emergency room. The only thing that helps me is to take some very, very strong pain relievers that put me to sleep. My gyno hasn't given me any other recommendations, but she believes I have ovarian cysts.

Comment from: Dani34, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm 18 years old, and I got my period when I was 10 years old. I experience bad cramps every month (gassiness, diarrhea, lower back pain, abdomen and upper leg pains). The pains are so severe that they wake me up in the middle of the night. I am unable to get comfortable. I have tried the heating pad, and it works the times when I am able to relax my muscles. Sometimes, I am in so much pain that I am constantly tightening my muscles and the heating pad does not have a chance to work. Taking three Advils instead of two has seemed to help a little bit, although I still get cramps, they are not as severe.

Comment from: Aurora, 25-34 Female Published: August 14

My period is of the nature that I have to sleep with a towel on my bed to prevent complete ruination of my sheets. However I find for the cramps that if I do (and this may sound silly) Greer Childers Body Flex which stretches the body and increases the oxygen to the blood that the cramps subside until I am done. A long, hot shower, Ibuprofen, heating pad, pillows and (most importantly) Chocolate are just what I need to help calm the cramps and nausea. Good luck ladies, it's nice to know that I am not alone in the painful period corner.

Published: July 28

I have used an electric heating pad which has soothed the pain.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.