Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Divs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Placing heating pad on the abdomen and taking naps...drinking warm liquids hepls temporarily but amazingly.

Comment from: Gellie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

When I had my first menstruation, I didn't feel anything. But as the months go by, pain on my belly and pelvis area shows up and it's getting worse every month. Now it's unbearable. I drink lots of water and take a hot bath – it helps relieve my pain. I also take a rest and when I wake up it's gone. But then I know there will be more pain.

Comment from: Turks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have found that getting my back adjusted by a chiropractor drastically reduces cramps. I am speaking from experience – I used to take 6-8 painkillers a day. Now I take none.

Comment from: bried90, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am a 22 year old woman. I've had my period since the age of 12. Today is the first time I have ever felt such extreme pain. I couldn't figure it out at first, but I realized it is cramps. I tried painkillers, a heating pad, hot shower, etc. I can't find anything to soothe this constant ache. I want to crouch and just cry.

Comment from: Google, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 30.I have menstrual cramps so bad since I was 12 years old. The pain was terrible I was in bed for four days. Then the doctor put me on a birth control shot called Depo-Provera. It stopped my period for four years. Then I went off of it and I have my period back again. The cramps are bad but not as bad now, but I flow hard and pass blood clots.

Comment from: Painful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have had my period since the age of 13. The day I started, I had cramps. I have tried using Advil, Motrin, Vicodin, heating pads, walking, and lying down. I still continue to have bad cramps, headaches, mood swings and heavy bleeding. My doctor has even tried many forms of birth control pills, but nothing seems to help the pain. I feel like the older that I get, the worse the pain gets.

Comment from: Porchia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 21-year-old young lady and have been getting cramps since my first period. I get migraines, which make me aware that I'm about to start, and the cramping lasts for three days. The only thing I find helpful is staying on top of it. It's not fun, but I take pills at least a day before my scheduled cycle and drink warm or hot drinks to soothe my muscles. I also use a heating pad and try to relax as much as possible.

Published: September 25

I'm currently in South Korea where drug usage is nonexistent. For my cramps, I usually use herbal meditation to calm me down, and relax my muscles. A heating pad, hot tea and a good book seems to do the trick.

Comment from: ginger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I found that if I take Advil three to four days prior to my period that my periods are less painful. I also suffered from bad PMS, tender breast, sadness, anger, you name it. My vision was even off if you know what I mean. I started taking a multi vitamin with calcium and magnesium and within a couple of months I was no longer suffering from the PMS. I haven't had any symptoms for over a year now, so please start taking your vitamins. I take Advil before period and take 2 every 4 to 5 hours the first 2 days of my period to keep the pain tolerable. Not fun, but some relief.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.