Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: Porchia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 21-year-old young lady and have been getting cramps since my first period. I get migraines, which make me aware that I'm about to start, and the cramping lasts for three days. The only thing I find helpful is staying on top of it. It's not fun, but I take pills at least a day before my scheduled cycle and drink warm or hot drinks to soothe my muscles. I also use a heating pad and try to relax as much as possible.

Published: September 25

I'm currently in South Korea where drug usage is nonexistent. For my cramps, I usually use herbal meditation to calm me down, and relax my muscles. A heating pad, hot tea and a good book seems to do the trick.

Comment from: ginger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I found that if I take Advil three to four days prior to my period that my periods are less painful. I also suffered from bad PMS, tender breast, sadness, anger, you name it. My vision was even off if you know what I mean. I started taking a multi vitamin with calcium and magnesium and within a couple of months I was no longer suffering from the PMS. I haven't had any symptoms for over a year now, so please start taking your vitamins. I take Advil before period and take 2 every 4 to 5 hours the first 2 days of my period to keep the pain tolerable. Not fun, but some relief.

Comment from: Shelbie, 13-18 Female Published: August 22

I am 15 years old, and I started my period when I was 9. I have severe cramps. I vomit, wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. I am extremely irate with anyone who touches me, my upper legs hurt, my lower back and stomach cramp up. I have yet to find a sure way to help ease my pain. I've tried herbal teas, pain relievers, strong pain relievers, light exercise, heat packs, warm baths, hot showers, and even sleeping for long hours. Nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

During my period, I experience mild discomfort lasting for a few days before escalating to a high level. This intense pain lasts up to 12 hours. It tends to accompany nausea, elevated temperature and headaches, and can wake me from deep sleep and inhibit normal, everyday activity. A little careful massage can help. Constant heat (careful not to burn yourself – I did this once!) on the lower abdomen while lying down helps even more. If the pain is sufficiently intense, I take an over-the-counter ibuprofen combined with codeine – although I am always cautious with medication of this strength.

Published: July 15

The only way to ease my pain is to take extra-strength Midol and Advil and apply two heat bags, one to my lower abdomen and one to my lower back. I have severe cramps, and I also get nausea, but nothing seems to help that.

Published: July 08

Heating pads seem to be the only things that help me. Applying heat to my lower back helps my muscles relax. Once the pain subsides a bit, doing some light exercise also seems to help. My cramps also induce nausea though, and nothing seems to help that except curling up into a ball and waiting it out.

Published: June 30

I have severe cramps and Midol maximum strength is the only medicine strong enough to take away the pain. I also use a heating pad and lay either on my stomach or sit on my knees and curl into a ball. Concentrating on taking deep breaths during the worst pain sometimes helps too.

Published: June 30

I take mefanamic acid after many years of trying to find a remedy! My cramps are in the severe range of being sick, pains in legs and not knowing whether to stand up and walk or curl up and sleep! Mefenamic acid, a short nap when I get in from work (or mid afternoon if I am not in work) and a hot pack on my abdomen usually helps to ease the pain!

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.