Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: mo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I've found that eating just half a banana before the menstrual cramps get really bad, usually when I first notice the bleeding, helps and I feel fine. And my cramps are usually very bad.

Comment from: KittenUK, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I'm 20, I first had period when I was 12. For the last 5 to 6 years it has been a nightmare every month. Thank goodness I am in pain only the first day or two from the start of bleeding and it doesn't last the whole week. But lately I feel like the pain is getting stronger. I used to get painkillers as soon as the pain took over (I kept hoping I just won't be in pain in spite of it happening every single month), but now that doesn't really help. I think I will try to start drinking painkillers couple of days before the period and hope it will help. Because as you all know, that pain just makes you want to curl up somewhere, cry and sob until it's over and then sob some more.

Comment from: ricannblkhunie, 25-34 Female Published: September 11

I have been getting my period since the age of nine. I have had bad cramps since I started. I vomit up to 5 times a day. I can't eat so I just vomit stomach acids. Even when my period is over my stomach is still sore from all the pain. Motrin used to be my best friend and would take away my pain, but my body started rejecting it and now I have nothing. I go through the pain each month trying to find something to help but I have yet to find my magic remedy or pill. Using a heating pad sometimes helps but I have to be sweating from it in order for my body to completely relax to feel better. I miss days from work and no one seems to understand the pain is unbearable!

Comment from: kokomo19, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have gotten horrible cramps for the last 6-7 years or so. I get really sweaty, diarrhea nausea, they go down my legs, and I pretty much just lay or crouch in pain. I call in sick all the time because I can't get up. I've tried hot baths, showers, heating pads, every pain killer that is out there, and several prescription pain killers. Motrin 800 doesn't prevent the cramps, but it's the only one that has made them less severe for me. I've tried several birth control pills, which always help, but then the side effects I get from them are sometimes not any better than the cramps!

Comment from: stressisa4letterword, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I will take two ibuprofen (not Midol or Tylenol) when I first get the familiar symptoms just before my period (gassy, bloated, kind of a diarrhea-type feeling). If it's bad enough, I'll supplement it with one of those other over-the-counter PMS medications containing ibuprofen and an antihistamine instead of acetaminophen and caffeine, which is less effective and can make you agitated and restless. The medication needs to have some form of diuretic in it to reduce the bloated, gassiness feelings. I recommend that you wear comfortable pajamas, lie on your back with a pillow under your knees and one between your knees. Drink an herbal tea designed for PMS (you can find them at your local health food store). Place a heat pack on your uterus. Read a book, draw, watch TV, surf the Internet or sleep. Calming music, fresh clean sheets and the ambiance of a fan also help. Tell everyone not to disturb you for the next few hours.

Published: July 25

I have had success taking magnesium (you also need calcium to release the magnesium from your cells - but be careful not to take too much calcium or you'll use up all the magnesium). The pain gradually got less and after about three months I had almost no pain. Some people also recommend omega 3 (not 6).

Comment from: Amie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I drink a lot of water and I let my mind think that it's not really painful when I get menstrual cramps.

Comment from: Kris, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I fill up a water bottle with really hot water or have my dog lay across my abdomen where it hurts I also take 4-6 ibprofen all of it helps some Enough to make me not want to cry anymore.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.