Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: kokomo19, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have gotten horrible cramps for the last 6-7 years or so. I get really sweaty, diarrhea nausea, they go down my legs, and I pretty much just lay or crouch in pain. I call in sick all the time because I can't get up. I've tried hot baths, showers, heating pads, every pain killer that is out there, and several prescription pain killers. Motrin 800 doesn't prevent the cramps, but it's the only one that has made them less severe for me. I've tried several birth control pills, which always help, but then the side effects I get from them are sometimes not any better than the cramps!

Comment from: stressisa4letterword, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I will take two ibuprofen (not Midol or Tylenol) when I first get the familiar symptoms just before my period (gassy, bloated, kind of a diarrhea-type feeling). If it's bad enough, I'll supplement it with one of those other over-the-counter PMS medications containing ibuprofen and an antihistamine instead of acetaminophen and caffeine, which is less effective and can make you agitated and restless. The medication needs to have some form of diuretic in it to reduce the bloated, gassiness feelings. I recommend that you wear comfortable pajamas, lie on your back with a pillow under your knees and one between your knees. Drink an herbal tea designed for PMS (you can find them at your local health food store). Place a heat pack on your uterus. Read a book, draw, watch TV, surf the Internet or sleep. Calming music, fresh clean sheets and the ambiance of a fan also help. Tell everyone not to disturb you for the next few hours.

Published: July 25

I have had success taking magnesium (you also need calcium to release the magnesium from your cells - but be careful not to take too much calcium or you'll use up all the magnesium). The pain gradually got less and after about three months I had almost no pain. Some people also recommend omega 3 (not 6).

Comment from: Kris, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I fill up a water bottle with really hot water or have my dog lay across my abdomen where it hurts I also take 4-6 ibprofen all of it helps some Enough to make me not want to cry anymore.

Comment from: Divs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Placing heating pad on the abdomen and taking naps...drinking warm liquids hepls temporarily but amazingly.

Comment from: Gellie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

When I had my first menstruation, I didn't feel anything. But as the months go by, pain on my belly and pelvis area shows up and it's getting worse every month. Now it's unbearable. I drink lots of water and take a hot bath – it helps relieve my pain. I also take a rest and when I wake up it's gone. But then I know there will be more pain.

Comment from: Turks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have found that getting my back adjusted by a chiropractor drastically reduces cramps. I am speaking from experience – I used to take 6-8 painkillers a day. Now I take none.

Comment from: bried90, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am a 22 year old woman. I've had my period since the age of 12. Today is the first time I have ever felt such extreme pain. I couldn't figure it out at first, but I realized it is cramps. I tried painkillers, a heating pad, hot shower, etc. I can't find anything to soothe this constant ache. I want to crouch and just cry.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.