Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?

Comment from: MEL, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Ever since the age of 16, I have had very severe cramps and back pain and am usually bed ridden the first two days of my pre-menstrual symptoms (PMS). I recently hired a personal trainer that I work out with once a week and I go to gym classes twice a week in addition to that. I just got my period and I have no symptoms! It's the work outs that I have been doing with my trainer. He really pushes me and I would never have exercised that hard on my own. Trust me I have tried absolutely everything and this was the only thing that really worked and was good for me!

Comment from: kn05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

The first 2 days of my periods are extremely painful. I usually have to take regular doses of ibuprofen or some other NSAID every 4 to 6 hours, otherwise I start vomiting or feel super nauseated. The medication helps if taken on time, i.e., sometime before or immediately after my period starts. Engaging in activities like watching my favorite shows, reading a good book, browsing, playing board games or even hanging out with friends and loved ones helps me de-stress, hence relieving the pain. A hot shower or applying heat to my abdominal area helps. I also find drinking cocoa or just a having a bar of regular chocolate helps in managing the pain.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

When I was a teenager up to my early 20s, I used to take 1 Midol in the morning and it was enough to stop the cramping. Now, I've stopped taking Midol and found that drinking lots of water and doing exercises that focus on my abdomen and pelvic area in between cycles really lessens the pain when my cycle starts. But sometimes when the pain is a little too much, I rest with a heating pad for a while.

Comment from: Kelly M., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I've had terrible cramps ever since I had my first period at 16. A couple of years ago I had a copper IUD placed (I've had pulmonary embolisms so copper IUD is my only option for birth control) and now the cramps are even worse. However, if I take ibuprofen before the pain gets really awful, it isn't as bad. I also use a heating pad or take a hot shower, which helps a lot.

Comment from: Namley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have had most miserable cramps since the first period. Obscene amounts of ibuprofen coupled with Tylenol, heating pad and exercise gave some relief. Strangely enough I have noted that when on an antibiotic for frequent sinus infections, I have no cramps! Go figure! Also of note, if you read the fine print on allergy medications, they have a side effect of menstrual cramps.

Comment from: BionicEye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I've had horrible menstrual cramps, pelvic and lower backache since I first got my period. The only thing that works is prescription mefenamic acid. One time, even that didn't work; I had to take a Percocet. It's driving me nuts as my doctors think I might have endometriosis. I'm also infertile. The pain has caused me to faint at least 5 times in an hour before. Not even hot water bottles help when it's that bad. I think I have a good pain tolerance. I broke my arm before, and that hurt more than the cramps.

Comment from: raekl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had horrible cramps since I got my period 18 years ago. I have tried them all - NSAIDS, heat, rest, exercise, birth control etc. Sometimes these remedies work but not often. A couple of years ago when I was in school for massage therapy, our hydrotherapy teacher suggested an ice pack to the abdomen for cramps. I thought it was kind of a crazy suggestion but it actually works for me. The reason ice helps is because the muscle is "spasming", so to speak. Also, it helps to decrease the flow of bleeding. If you think of normal first aid principles, you would apply ice to other spasming/bleeding/swollen areas to help reduce the symptoms of injury and pain.

Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.