Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.

Comment from: Delilah1986, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I'm 29 years old and have had my period since age 12. At first the pain was tolerable and would go away in a few hours. However as I got into my late teens the cramps began to get worse, my face would go pale, and sweating, I'd be up for minutes at a time in the middle of the night. Then when it got intense vomiting happened, afterwards I'd feel sore so to get better I'd take a liquid gel Advil, glass of ginger ale and put a wet towel across my stomach to soothe it. Also exercising seems to take the edge off of the cramps because now they're not quite as severe.

Comment from: jema, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Every month I experience severe pain during menstruation to the extent that I collapse. After my menstruation the pain is still there and lasts for a week but not that painful.

Comment from: Debbi, Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My cramps are so severe for a couple days at onset of cycle. I have pain that radiates down my thighs. It is so severe I can't function and require prescribed medication to alleviate the pain. However, the pain medication is now causing such severe headaches. I hope to find a suitable medication to relieve and reduce my cramps. I have also had two ectopic pregnancies in both tubes and have had to have tubal removals on both sides.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My menstrual cramps always begin on the 1st day of my cycle and start out dull and then move quickly on to achy. It feels like having a muscle ache/cramp you'd get in your leg only right in your pelvic area. Sometimes my cramps are preceded by diarrhea, and that's when I definitely know the cramps are on their way. My cramps are pretty easy to ignore, I'm lucky to have them stay in the mild to moderate zone. Only once have they been severe to the point of me vomiting when I was a teen, and it's never happened since then.

Comment from: demiladeayo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I always feel bad when I start feeling that I am ovulating. Because, my cramps are always very bad. I don't feel relieved until I take ibuprofen. But now my doctor told me not to use any NSAIDs again because I'm now battling with gastric ulcer. My pains always walk through my lower abdomen, down to the back of my legs, then the lower part of my spinal cord.

Comment from: Lilian Archibong, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I always feel like vomiting, frequent stools, weakness, fever, dizziness, loss of appetite, and frequent urinating most times, when I am menstruating.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My period is something I dread each month. My flow is rather heavy, I get mild to severe stomach cramps, back aches, mild pain in my legs, bloating and chills or night sweats. It's no fun but it happens every month.

Comment from: no cure kate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had severe cramps and bleeding since my very first cycle. When I was 20 I went to work one day in so much pain I took an ambulance to the clinic the next town over and was told I had a cyst that burst. This was not long after I had a miscarriage and D and C. I then went on Depo-Provera shots for many years. I recently went off it as it is not good for you and my boyfriend has a vasectomy. Now am back to square 1 with the pain, missing work, etc. I can't be on any other birth control because I smoke. The doctor didn't order any tests just said nothing I can do except take NSAIDS.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.