Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.

Comment from: demiladeayo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I always feel bad when I start feeling that I am ovulating. Because, my cramps are always very bad. I don't feel relieved until I take ibuprofen. But now my doctor told me not to use any NSAIDs again because I'm now battling with gastric ulcer. My pains always walk through my lower abdomen, down to the back of my legs, then the lower part of my spinal cord.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My period is something I dread each month. My flow is rather heavy, I get mild to severe stomach cramps, back aches, mild pain in my legs, bloating and chills or night sweats. It's no fun but it happens every month.

Comment from: no cure kate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had severe cramps and bleeding since my very first cycle. When I was 20 I went to work one day in so much pain I took an ambulance to the clinic the next town over and was told I had a cyst that burst. This was not long after I had a miscarriage and D and C. I then went on Depo-Provera shots for many years. I recently went off it as it is not good for you and my boyfriend has a vasectomy. Now am back to square 1 with the pain, missing work, etc. I can't be on any other birth control because I smoke. The doctor didn't order any tests just said nothing I can do except take NSAIDS.

Comment from: Violetta, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 12

For approximately five years I have been experiencing very severe menstrual cramps with heavy bleeding. There is no painkiller that helps. An even bigger problem is the overall tension in my body and the dizziness. After one to two days, I'm unable to function. I feel almost paralyzed. I have been checked for many possible diseases, without result. The only advice my gynecologist has is to get pregnant. However, my cousin has the same problem even after two kids. Enduring this torture every month is seriously decreasing my quality of life.

Comment from: Beatlebabe25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Cramps are VERY severe, associated with nausea, diarrhea, headaches and lower back pain. Naproxen Sodium and lots of water tend to alleviate the pain. Symptoms usually last about 3 days with the severity decreasing every day. It's annoying but manageable and happens (luckily) only once a month so I haven't bothered telling my doc. She would probably just suggest Naproxin and water, anyways!

Comment from: pinky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I'm 19 years old and started having periods when I was 14 years old. I did not have any cramps until last year, when I felt cramping before my periods. They really hurt and were severe at times. I didn't know what the problem was, but never went to the doctor.

Comment from: nmarg, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I started my periods when I was 15 years old, but the first three years I had no pains. They started when I was in college. The doctors say it's an infection but I tested negative. Sometimes it's severe other months mild. I take strong painkillers but they sometimes fail. Now I don't know what to do any more. They dehydrate, make highly irritable, body swelling and general weakness.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes Question: Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.