Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes

Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?

Comment from: IMineMeMine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I began my period in my early teens and had a normal flow. I did not have menstrual cramps the first 3 years of it beginning. When I hit about 18-19 they began to get really bad. For me the first two days of my cycle are the worst. I get abdominal cramping, lower back pain, leg pains and will get very nauseous. I would have to say that I throw up about 3-4 times a year from the nausea. What helps me is not eating heavy foods during my nausea and drinking warm tea. A hot water bottle or warm cloth on my lower back helps me more so then a bottle on my lower belly.

Comment from: kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

Stress mostly effects the duration of my cycle as well as the intensity of cramps. The days when I am more tensed about my studies, it leads to severe cramps. Some of my friends also suggest that spicy food also aggravates them.

Comment from: miss rhu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My menstrual cramps are severe that neither foods and the above mentioned can be my stable cause or worsen. Since I started my period cycle 8 years ago within this space of time I've deteriorated from concessional cramps to vomiting, diarrhea, bone fragility and weight loss. I've tried placing hot water bottles below my navel believing it would reduce blood clots only to worsen the pain, pain block tablets and raw chopped garlic soaked in lukewarm water to drink failed due to vomit. All these trauma starts and end only on my first day of each period.

Comment from: asparaggus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My cramps began at the age of 23 (5 years ago), and I have struggled with them since. They are debilitating. Ibuprofen sometimes alleviates them. The other thing that helps is not eating. I eat light while expecting it, and if I eat no solid food once my period starts, no cramps! I drink juices, smoothies, and lots of tea. If I get too hungry, Ill nibble a low fiber cracker. Crazy, but I hope this can help some others.

Comment from: ohithurts, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

This is crippling pain, I am finding myself getting annoyed at the suggested remedies. It feels like my legs weigh a ton, they're cramping My belly and back hurt too and my head is pounding. I can't use heat coz I am soo hot, no fever and I am also nauseated. The most annoying thing is that I have been experiencing this since I started having periods 21 years ago and it seems to be worse now. I have no underlying condition that I know of and none of my physicians seem to be the least bit concerned about this. Worst of all, it lasts at least seven days and with heave bleeding too. I have had to get blood transfusions twice before in the last 10 years, but I am told this is normal.

Comment from: lele, 19-24 Female Published: April 17

My menstrual cramps differ from time to time. Some months, I get them before my periods and they get severe when I stand or sit for a long time. Some months are worse than others. When I am stressed, they get more severe.

Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences Question: How often do you experience menstrual cramps?
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls Question: If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.