Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: kenah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 51 and have not had a period since June 2013. I have already done the hot flash and night sweat thing. Last month I had the worst back and abdominal pain that I haven"t had since I don"t know when. I have had period symptoms with no period since I began menopause in 2011. Mood swings were helped with an antidepressant but it did not help the night sweats.

Comment from: Sunny, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

I have been going through menopause since 2008 which started after Depo injection. Over the years I've had mood swings, weight gain around the middle, hot flushes, night sweats, headaches, bad anxiety, palpitations and lately, tummy issues, lack of appetite and weight loss. I have other medical issue that is well under control.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Just finishing up a delightful 6 week long period. With approaching menopause, I had several days of severe clotting and heavy bleeding, interspersed with many days of regular but light flow. This came in early December, after not having had a period since September. I've been fatigued and very sleepy. I have had some headaches, a couple of very severe headaches, but this may be allergies because the weather has been odd.

Comment from: Sweetpea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm 49 and my periods are never the same. I skipped one month, the next month my period lasted 16 days. I had 10 days off before I had my period back again. The symptoms are always changing, sometimes several changes in a day. Panic attacks, anxiety, crashing fatigue, brain fog, crying, PMS getting stronger, irritability, headaches, nausea; the list goes on. I don't go out on my bad days if I can help it. On the good days I'm so happy like I've been released from jail.

Comment from: Manie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

For the past 10 years I kept telling my doctor that I thought I was going through the change. I had the most horrific periods; hot flashes and night sweats came and went, usually around the time my period was due. The doctor would just tell me I was really just too young. My periods became so bad I became weak from anemia. My doctor suggested HTA (hormone therapy), which would lessen if not stop my periods. I had that done which I will say was the best thing I could have ever done! I still had a period, but light and only a couple of days long; but the cycles were everywhere and my sex drive was much better. For about the past year and a half, I had terrible mood swings, anxiety, anger, indigestion, well let's just a year and a half of PMS (pre-menopausal syndrome). Now my periods have stopped, 4 months ago and my doctor tested my hormones which showed I was postmenopausal. I deal with the hot flashes and night sweats, dry skin and all that it's just really not that bad right now. I take L-Lysine, flaxseed oil and a very low dose of DHEA, and I can say I feel like a million bucks! I eat healthier, exercise, and I have actually lost 20lbs. My doctor prescribed Prempro, I have not taken it yet.

Comment from: szurek, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I get hot flashes about every 10 to 15 minutes all night long; no sleep for about a month now.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?