Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: zaza s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With approaching menopause I had continuous hot flashes and nonstop sweating.

Comment from: Nannie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am having a hard time with everything menopause. It is near a year since I had a period, my symptoms are varied and are leaving me semi housebound as I don't know how I'll be feeling from day to day. I get this horrible scary body sensations which then leaves me in a near uncontrollable crying mess till it passes. I just feel unwell, I get low blood sugar, and feelings like I'm going to pass out. I have to eat every 2 or 3 hours hoping to feel ok. I have low stamina and energy, anxiety, headiness, unsteadiness, also I am hot flushed with blood pressure (BP) spikes. I wake early, occasionally hot and sweaty. I can't take hormone replacement therapy. Lots of other medicines seem to interfere with my BP medicines. I do take herbal menopause tablets but not sure how effective they are. I stopped taking multi B vitamins because of anxiety. Just want to be normal again; been a long 2 years so far.

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 48 year old female, and I have had cycles ranging from 14 days to 34 days long in the past year. I have yet to skip a period. My premenstrual symptoms feel like early pregnancy and my monthly flows are heavy. My moods swing widely in the week before my period and I literally feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. One good thing is that Advil and Midol will help lessen those symptoms. My sex drive is still going full force, thank goodness!

Comment from: lost, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I'm 51. I can't stabilize these menopause frustrations. I have severe mood swings, anxiety to the obsessive hate of hubby admiring other women, depressive ups and downs, restless sleeps, and aching muscles. I am feeling useless to my family. I am on Catapres and Drulox that's supposed to help. I have nervous body jolts, fatigue and brain fog. I had angioplasty six years ago and on minimum medication. I am fully fit and healthy from diabetes and heart disease now; until, along came menopause! Thank you very much!

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I was on birth control pills for 18 years, and went off them 11/13. Since then I have panic attacks very often, anxiety out the roof, hot flashes, night sweats. Indigestion are real bad, feels like I am going to have a stroke at times. I have not had a period since February 2014. My heart all of a sudden starts racing, I've been to the emergency room (ER) twice because I thought I was having a stroke, went to my doctor and she wants me to take anti-depressants, those make me even more anxious. They all say menopause... They want to put me on hormones which I will not take.

Comment from: Visitor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 57, went through menopause around 50 and experienced no typical menopausal symptoms. At most, I felt slightly warm for short periods. It's true, not all women have a terrible menopause.

Comment from: kenah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 51 and have not had a period since June 2013. I have already done the hot flash and night sweat thing. Last month I had the worst back and abdominal pain that I haven"t had since I don"t know when. I have had period symptoms with no period since I began menopause in 2011. Mood swings were helped with an antidepressant but it did not help the night sweats.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?