Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Published: July 30

I experienced about six months of severe PMS that would last for 10 days each time. Then my periods stopped, and I've only had a couple during the last six months. I had chronic insomnia, night sweats, tiredness, and mood swings resulting in my doctor prescribing fluoxetine. My first doctor never acknowledged my symptoms, but my present doctor thankfully has. I'm being reviewed soon and HRT has been suggested.

Published: July 09

18 months my temperature went up and stayed up and 2 months age my periods stopped. The worse part is not being able to focus/think and mood swings. I am always hot and moody to tears for no reason.

Published: July 09

I have had very bad sweats night and day, bad mood swings feeling fine one moment and very irritable the next. I am very emotional and tend to cry at the drop of a hat.

Published: June 27

Painful heavy breasts, lack of libido, extreme irritability, hot flashes, night sweats huge mood swings. It's been awful and I've only just started.

Published: June 25

I have suffered on and off with excessive night sweats and hot flashes during the day and occasional vaginal itching but otherwise have been untroubled by menopause. Any herbal or homeopathic aid known to alleviate these symptoms would be useful.

Published: June 20

I have been experiencing hot flashes since I was 46 and "peri menopausal". I am now 52, still having hot flashes and about 6 months ago the night sweats started with a bang and have gotten worse and worse, along with the "sneaking sads".

Published: June 19

I am 56. I still have periods, last one 2 months ago. I had very heavy sudden periods I called whoosh events because I would have to go home 2-3 times a day to change my clothes. I ended up in the hospital where the doctor told me I was anemic and close to hospitalization. The heavy periods happened on and off for about a year. One week ago, I started with hot flashes. The flashes last about 15-30 seconds, mostly around my upper body and they wake me up 2-3 times per night. I do get uncontrollably irritable about twice a week but that also goes away within an hour or so.

Published: June 18

Symptoms included irritability, extreme breast tenderness/soreness, very mild "warm" flashes.

Published: June 16

When I went through menopause, I developed digestive problems. I has a lot of diarrhea and I vomited a lot.

Published: June 16

I have been have trouble with my period for about a year, heavy at times now the past five weeks I have gone from about 5 days of heavy to very light almost a brownish colour not sure if this is the end. I am feeling very tired because of the blood loss, and am taking iron again.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?