Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: snippinsista, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

After a hysterectomy at 48 (without removing my ovaries) I felt great! I also lost weight. I had energy, had only an occasional hot flash with flushing and thought "no problem" until about a year later! Ugh! It hit like a freight train! I gained almost 20 lbs. I started feeling tired again, my joints ached and still do, I have frequent headaches and even developed the most annoying condition called burning mouth syndrome! It feels as though I scalded my tongue on hot coffee. I haven't had more than 4 hours of straight sleep in almost a year now and my sex drive is nowhere to be found! I wish I could tell you that the initial "feeling good" will last. For me it did not.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had terrible, unpredictable hot flashes that I am still having after 5 years of not having a period.

Comment from: tbtexas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I just turned 47 and I am in the middle of my heaviest period I have had. For the last few months my periods have been not usual but they have been light. I was surprised with this heavy period (had to go home during work hours to change clothes!) so I decided to do some research. I feel better knowing that this is not so unusual.

Comment from: blackbeltnj, Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I'm 45 years old and my last period was April 30, 2013. For the past few years, my periods were close together, then skipping a month here and there. I did have the emotional roller-coaster ride as well. Anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I thought it was the stress from work. But now, all that went away. My doctor told me I'm menopausal. But since my last period, I feel great. I only had hot flashes for around 2 months or so and zero weight gain. I actually lost weight. Sex drive hasn't changed either. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced my situation. I hope this won't change because I haven't felt this good in years. Right now, I'm loving menopause.

Comment from: NWcorner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My menstrual period was awful from the first day it arrived at age 10. When I started with mood swings, hot flashes, and drenching night sweats, I thought I was going to go insane. Weight gain has been awful. Can't lose it. I am 48 and haven't had a menstrual period in 5 years. That is the one good thing about menopause. But, getting to that point was terrible. Periods so irregular and heavy. My friends did not understand when I was at the height of my misery (they are older than me and are just starting to have the symptoms). Good luck.

Comment from: Renatta, 45-54 Female Published: August 16

I'm 47 had a good Heath but lately I been having palpitations or rapit heart beats, I don't know this its because I'm closer of having m premenopausal or its something else? P

Comment from: cantgetenuf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

been going through this for about six months but even before that I noticed my sex drive going crazy. Is it normal to want sex more as we're going through the change? MY husband thinks its great and so do I but will it last? Has anyone else had this "problem'?

Comment from: shychicka, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

OMG! yes...and of course 1 year prior I was recovering from a broken left leg and dislocated left ankle.... I gained weight...lost some of it...then had right knee surgery....gained more weight...and of course with Menopause the diets are not working....and am not back to fitness-form....UGH! I never paid attention to my age....but I really hate being 52 :[

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?