Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: sexy runningirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I believe I have been going through perimenopause since I was about 38 years old. It has gotten progressively worse within the last two years. I am now 47. One month I had two periods; another month I bled for the whole month. With a couple other cycles, I bled for two days with a four-day break. The moods carry over even if I am not bleeding at the time: I'm depressed, emotional, and crying. The next minute I can be laughing! My cure is lots of running. I also take tons of vitamins, like B-complex, B12 shots, prenatal vitamins, omega 3's, calcium, potassium, and magnesium.

Comment from: CJ, Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 46 years old, and for the past 10 years, I have had night sweats. Within the past year, it has gotten really bad. I wake up almost every night with my shirt wet. I also have to urinate in the middle of the night. For the last year my periods have become very irregular. I may skip a month or have two or three periods in a month. My periods are lasting longer now, up to eight or nine days. I will stop for two or three days, then start again.

Comment from: Sweatin' in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

The symptoms I am experiencing include life-sucking, ear-burning, disgusting, perspiration-laden hot flashes, day and night; heightened emotions -- I've never been an emotional, teary woman, but I feel frequently on the verge of tears; and I've ballooned up 20 pounds in two months. I'm still having occasional periods, and I was told at age 35 that I was premenopausal. I'm now 45; I started my period at age 12. Aren't I too young for menopause? Can it be induced by stress? I've had a very stress-filled year.

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am only going on 44. I had a partial hysterectomy in the year 2001. I am now experiencing hot flashes and the chills. I for the first time in 20 years have gained 15 pounds. My breasts are larger than ever. My sex drive has increased dramatically.

Comment from: Netty, 35-44 Female Published: August 28

I'm 44 and still have periods although they are getting heavier and less time in between. I start feeling bloated, emotional and angry, even aggressive about 10 days before I start to bleed. I have night sweats and bouts of depression, and I have been tested and my general practitioner. He has said everything is normal!

Comment from: mesospoiled37, 35-44 Female Published: August 26

I am 40 years old, and I would have to say since I was 33, I have been perimenopausal. It has really hit hard over the last six months. I have been having anxiety, hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, no energy, heavier than my normal menstrual cycle, breast tenderness, and a low, if any, sex drive. It hasn't been easy or fun. But I am trying to make the best of it. I am very lucky to have a man who understands everything I am going through. Oh, and I have the facial hair that keeps coming back.

Published: July 30

I experienced about six months of severe PMS that would last for 10 days each time. Then my periods stopped, and I've only had a couple during the last six months. I had chronic insomnia, night sweats, tiredness, and mood swings resulting in my doctor prescribing fluoxetine. My first doctor never acknowledged my symptoms, but my present doctor thankfully has. I'm being reviewed soon and HRT has been suggested.

Published: July 09

18 months my temperature went up and stayed up and 2 months age my periods stopped. The worse part is not being able to focus/think and mood swings. I am always hot and moody to tears for no reason.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?