Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: gardenwitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 49 and for the last 4 years or so, with menopause approaching my periods have been closer together, now nearly every 3 weeks. Every so often I'll have one at 4 weeks or slightly longer. PMS has gone from 3 days to over a week, with tension headaches, general irritability, and sugar cravings. I've felt worn-out exhausted for most of the last 2 years. A stubborn 15-pound ring around my waist refuses to budge despite a healthy diet (well except for when I give in to those sugar cravings) and regular vigorous exercise. My sex drive is nearly non-existent. I sweat like a pig at night; thankfully at least it doesn't wake me up. And for about a year, I had bloated tender breasts with fluid-filled cysts. Those subsided after several acupuncture treatments and they haven't been back, thankfully. I've also had heart palpitations and lightheadedness that sent me to the doctor in a panic, convinced I was going to have a heart attack. An EKG was fine and the doctor could find nothing wrong with me other than that I seemed stressed.

Comment from: Visitor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 57, went through menopause around 50 and experienced no typical menopausal symptoms. At most, I felt slightly warm for short periods. It's true, not all women have a terrible menopause.

Comment from: Goldie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Curious to know as I'm heading towards menopause, if your period just stops. I've always been regular to the day. I have had unusual bleeding in past few months, as well as several bladder infections over the year. I stopped bleeding and I've missed 2 periods not really noticing. I know I need to go to the doctor, but I like the knowledge of my own body before I have someone poke and prod scaring me with just the matter of facts.

Comment from: blondie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I'm 51 and had been taking oral contraceptives in a continuous format (so I only had to have a period every 3 months) for 15 years now. When I had that period, I had night sweats every night starting at age 44 but otherwise, the pill kept me symptom free. Now that I'm 51, my doctor doesn't like to prescribe the pill for me anymore so now I get to figure out what menopause symptoms I have in addition to the night sweats. I'm hoping I only have a few more years of symptoms left.

Comment from: gia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been having irregular periods for about 4 years. This month my period has not happened but it feels like I am having it. I have all the symptoms, but no bleeding. Perhaps I am finally getting to the end!

Comment from: Hating 50's, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am experiencing menopause and have been for the last 5 to 6 years. I can't function. I can't go outside because I am soaked and have a bad odor. I can't sleep and can't laugh anymore; nothing is fun and I don't know what to do or how to live anymore. Doctors are afraid to treat me due to other health issues. I hate this time of my life when it should be the best time of my life!

Comment from: labrador, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With my approaching menopause, I have not had a period for 7 months and am experiencing chronic fatigue, weight gain, mood swings and no sexual desire. It is horrible. I hope it ends soon! I am 48 years old.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?