Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: JaneDoe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 42, my period has been regular since I was 10 - every 28 days lasting for 5 days. It continues to be that way but my period ended on Friday last and I continue to have a pain together with fever etc. I went to the doctor and he told me it was menopause. If this is menopause - period pains like a teenager for more than 5 days - is just not cutting it.

Comment from: gardenwitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 49 and for the last 4 years or so, with menopause approaching my periods have been closer together, now nearly every 3 weeks. Every so often I'll have one at 4 weeks or slightly longer. PMS has gone from 3 days to over a week, with tension headaches, general irritability, and sugar cravings. I've felt worn-out exhausted for most of the last 2 years. A stubborn 15-pound ring around my waist refuses to budge despite a healthy diet (well except for when I give in to those sugar cravings) and regular vigorous exercise. My sex drive is nearly non-existent. I sweat like a pig at night; thankfully at least it doesn't wake me up. And for about a year, I had bloated tender breasts with fluid-filled cysts. Those subsided after several acupuncture treatments and they haven't been back, thankfully. I've also had heart palpitations and lightheadedness that sent me to the doctor in a panic, convinced I was going to have a heart attack. An EKG was fine and the doctor could find nothing wrong with me other than that I seemed stressed.

Comment from: gia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been having irregular periods for about 4 years. This month my period has not happened but it feels like I am having it. I have all the symptoms, but no bleeding. Perhaps I am finally getting to the end!

Comment from: Hating 50's, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am experiencing menopause and have been for the last 5 to 6 years. I can't function. I can't go outside because I am soaked and have a bad odor. I can't sleep and can't laugh anymore; nothing is fun and I don't know what to do or how to live anymore. Doctors are afraid to treat me due to other health issues. I hate this time of my life when it should be the best time of my life!

Comment from: labrador, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With my approaching menopause, I have not had a period for 7 months and am experiencing chronic fatigue, weight gain, mood swings and no sexual desire. It is horrible. I hope it ends soon! I am 48 years old.

Published: July 29

I am only 35 and I had to have a hysterectomy due to an illness and now I am feeling as if I have no energy to do anything. I am always crabby and I can't seem to get interested in having sex at all. I pray that I can get some kind of treatment to help me get through this. I am still too young to feel this worn out.

Comment from: snippinsista, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

After a hysterectomy at 48 (without removing my ovaries) I felt great! I also lost weight. I had energy, had only an occasional hot flash with flushing and thought "no problem" until about a year later! Ugh! It hit like a freight train! I gained almost 20 lbs. I started feeling tired again, my joints ached and still do, I have frequent headaches and even developed the most annoying condition called burning mouth syndrome! It feels as though I scalded my tongue on hot coffee. I haven't had more than 4 hours of straight sleep in almost a year now and my sex drive is nowhere to be found! I wish I could tell you that the initial "feeling good" will last. For me it did not.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had terrible, unpredictable hot flashes that I am still having after 5 years of not having a period.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?