Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?

Comment from: managingmenieres, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had Meniere's disease for over 10 years. I keep it under control with diet and exercise. No caffeine, and a low, low sodium diet, a maximum of 1000 mg per day of sodium. Lots of rigorous exercise that makes you sweat (excess salt leaving your body!) like cycling and boot camps. There are theories about Meniere's being an imbalance of sodium and potassium in the ear canal thus the prescribing of diuretics for treatment. However, exercise can do a better, more natural job of eliminating salt from the body.

Comment from: Luis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 18 years ago. At the beginning the vertigos were horrible but the ENT put a shunt on the affected ear to help drain the excess fluid. It works as I only get lightheaded every now and then. I keep away from salt and take diuretic pills as needed. Hearing loss and ringing are there, nothing can be done about it so I just enjoy life and try to live a normal life.

Comment from: 69lumber69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease 3 years and 2 months ago. I suffered with extreme ringing in my left ear, dizziness and vomiting, and my balance was not good either. My hearing loss was very fast. I consulted with a friend who had an interest in eustachian tube dysfunction, and she suggested that my symptoms were related to GERD and I began to take Nexium. Amazing! My doctor was suggesting gentamicin treatments which I declined. Try Nexium before gentamicin. I am healed, thank goodness!

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

The only treatment that helped Meniere's disease was Dyazide. It ended the vertigo, however did nothing to stop the increasing hearing loss and tinnitus. I also cut down on salt, caffeine which includes chocolate and try to not cry, which is difficult with depression. Unfortunately, most antidepressants aggravate the tinnitus and ear fullness so I'm essentially un-medicated. I've tried all of them and they all cause increased Meniere's symptoms. To sleep I use a small fan and noise machine to cut out the noise in my head. I hope this helps others.

Comment from: Charntel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was finally diagnosed by an ENT after an MRI, with Meniere's disease. My right ear is 80 percent deaf and am on medication called 'Serc' for the vertigo. It hits me any time of the day or night and I find that if I am stressed I feel terrible. At the moment my right ear has the 'full' feeling and it feels like I have water in the ear all the time. If the condition worsens my ENT has advised that they do operate in extreme cases where they use the left ear nerve ending to trick the right ear. I honestly am not coping with this disease and I am afraid to drive but have no option. I do drink water tablets to help with the water retention but then get cramps. I have stopped the salt as this does make it worse, I hope somewhere somehow somebody finds a cure.

Comment from: puff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I believed I finally cured my vertigo caused by Meniere's disease, though tinnitus is still with me. It started several years ago. First mild, then severe. I tried lots of medicines but not work. I don't like surgery. So I kept trying to control it in other ways. And I finally made it. Now all my life is back to normal.

Meniere's Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.