Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?

Comment from: 69lumber69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease 3 years and 2 months ago. I suffered with extreme ringing in my left ear, dizziness and vomiting, and my balance was not good either. My hearing loss was very fast. I consulted with a friend who had an interest in eustachian tube dysfunction, and she suggested that my symptoms were related to GERD and I began to take Nexium. Amazing! My doctor was suggesting gentamicin treatments which I declined. Try Nexium before gentamicin. I am healed, thank goodness!

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

The only treatment that helped Meniere's disease was Dyazide. It ended the vertigo, however did nothing to stop the increasing hearing loss and tinnitus. I also cut down on salt, caffeine which includes chocolate and try to not cry, which is difficult with depression. Unfortunately, most antidepressants aggravate the tinnitus and ear fullness so I'm essentially un-medicated. I've tried all of them and they all cause increased Meniere's symptoms. To sleep I use a small fan and noise machine to cut out the noise in my head. I hope this helps others.

Comment from: Charntel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was finally diagnosed by an ENT after an MRI, with Meniere's disease. My right ear is 80 percent deaf and am on medication called 'Serc' for the vertigo. It hits me any time of the day or night and I find that if I am stressed I feel terrible. At the moment my right ear has the 'full' feeling and it feels like I have water in the ear all the time. If the condition worsens my ENT has advised that they do operate in extreme cases where they use the left ear nerve ending to trick the right ear. I honestly am not coping with this disease and I am afraid to drive but have no option. I do drink water tablets to help with the water retention but then get cramps. I have stopped the salt as this does make it worse, I hope somewhere somehow somebody finds a cure.

Comment from: Libra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been suffering from Meniere's disease for about five years. My attacks have ranged from mild to severe. Recently I had two attacks nine days apart which were severe; extreme vertigo and vomiting. I wish I knew what triggered the disease, something I ate or supplements that I was taking. When I have an attack, if there's time, which unfortunately hasn't happened that often, I swallow one ondansetron ODT 4 MG tablet for the nausea, and 25 MG of meclizine. I never know when I'm going to have an attack and it puts me on edge at times. I can't believe how quickly the dizziness and nausea sets in. I have to lay down with my eyes closed until after the attack subsides. I don't know of anyone in my family who ever suffered from this disease. I wish there was a magic cure.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had Meniere's disease for about 12 years now. The initial attack lasted a long time, then I didn't have any attacks for several years, but they have started up again in the last 4 years. I am in the midst of my third attack in 8 months. My ears are full and I am nauseous and slightly dizzy. I only have slight hearing loss and my right ear is the more affected, I feel I want to keep poking it. My doctors prescribed regime is Stemetil and Betaserc. I was interested to read that salt and caffeine are bad and also aspartame and MSG. I try to remain positive but the attacks are so unexpected and make me fearful.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had Meniere's disease for several years and suffered from terrible vertigo that was impacting my ability to work. My doctor suggested middle ear injections of gentamicin, an antibiotic that's toxic to your inner ear, reduces the balancing function of your ear, and your other ear assumes responsibility for balance. It made me a little more wobbly, but two treatments has pretty much eliminated my vertigo attacks. I still have the hearing loss and tinnitus, but that you can live with as long as you can eliminate the vertigo attacks.

Meniere's Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.