Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?

Comment from: menieres cure, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It took almost a year for my ENT to diagnose me with secondary Endolymphatic Hydrops. I also went to other specialists over the years and they pretty much say the same thing, no cure, just deal with it. I was on a diuretic for a year, and I just keep moving trying not to give in to this disease. I suggest everyone try ginger for the nausea, Reeds or Gin Gin's is a good brand. . I have just started treatment at the Neurosensory Center in Austin, Texas and I think there is one in the Dallas, Fort Worth area also. They claim they can cure Meniere's. I am giving them a try, it is much better than being sent home with no hope.

Comment from: Mumzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Vertigo attacks started for me about 30 years ago, and I had no idea what caused them until about five years ago when I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. By that time, the tinnitus and hearing loss were significant, and I was fitted with hearing aids. Although I still have extremely loud tinnitus, wearing the hearing aids helps considerably. I was also advised by my ENT doctor to avoid caffeine, chocolate, salt, and alcohol. Adhering to this has helped as well. I have poor balance, so I wear only flat shoes for safety's sake, and I find going down stairs particularly challenging. But I have not had a major vertigo attack in over a year. Recently my hearing took a noticeable drop, and my audiologist has suggested another hearing test. I don't know how far the hearing loss can go before I can no longer be helped with hearing aids, but we'll keep working at it. I am thankful to be otherwise healthy, and like others who have posted here, I believe a positive attitude helps.

Comment from: fatheroz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

Stop eating salt, stop smoking, and de-caffeinate yourself. Sodium, nicotine, and caffeine are the culprits. I've had Meniere's for 10 years. I'd have a 3-minute-long vertigo attack every 30 minutes, for days at a time. Quitting salt does it for me. If I cheat and add some to my popcorn, nothing happens. But if I 'cheat' too much, for too long, I'll get those mild twinges of the onset of the vertigo stuff. I immediately swear off salt, again, this time forever, and begin guzzling as much water as humanly possible. Getting de-caffeinated, while good for the Meniere's, will also do wonders for your digestion. And your indigestion. And your sleep. And if you smoke, never mind.

Comment from: cassienew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed about a month ago with Meniere's disease not knowing why I was having these vertigo attacks and nausea. I"ve been on two different diuretics Valium and meclizine and nothing is stopping the attacks. I"ve lost my last 2 jobs due to the attacks. My life is so limited... I"m scared to go anywhere, do anything, eat anything! My quality of life is so low right now and the attacks are so bad I"d almost rather be dead than to keep living like this. This is not living... it"s barely existing

Comment from: Janice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had Meniere's disease for more than 3 years and it has gotten worse. There is no medicine. They say it has no cure. I am dizzy and vomiting has been the worst. Can't plan anything as I never know when it will hit me. I just hope for a cure daily. Loss of hearing in the right ear. The sound in the ear never leaves me day or night.

Comment from: dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had Meniere's for over 10 years. I take Valium daily. I only have a few attacks a year, but am slowly losing my hearing in my left ear – it's probably about 80 percent gone. I want to know if a surgery can be done to help restore hearing.

Meniere's Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.