Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: wilmoth7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had some of the symptoms of Meniere's disease when I was 52 (now 55); hearing loss in left ear, feeling of fullness. I kept trying ways to unclog it but nothing worked. One year I had 4 episodes of dizziness upon awakening in the morning and was nauseous and vomiting. I went back to sleep each time for a couple of hours and woke up just fine. It has been at least 2 years without dizziness. But my left ear progressively got worse with the hearing, the fullness and now it has had tinnitus, a low white type noise, I would call it, and now I get the pulsing sound with it. Sixty percent of hearing is lost in that ear. The other ear has some tinnitus but not very noticeable and the hearing is ok for my age. I was never diagnosed with Meniere"s by the doctor. He just called it hearing loss. One of the doctors who did a test on me said it could be Meniere"s and to cut back on salt. So maybe I have it and maybe I don"t, but it sure sounds similar to what I have been reading. The fact that it is in one ear and I had the vertigo spells and the fullness in the ear, which is the most annoying of all to me.

Comment from: Svbratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had Meniere's disease for 3 years now. Several times I have been out for the count, with the vertigo and vomiting. I have hearing loss in my right ear. I also have a constant loud ringing in that same ear. I am on water pills, exercise regular and try to eat a low sodium diet. These things help to reduce or minimize the attacks. I refuse to let this disease win.

Comment from: gumby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

In my early 20s I had dizzy spells and later in life I have had dizzy spells and total loss of equilibrium to the point of vomiting, and more frequently also. I have no hearing loss with the Meniere's disease, but very exceptional hearing.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm fighting a bit of a quandary in that the vertigo/nausea is not part of my symptomology, at least not now. Two years ago I was snorkeling and the next day I developed acute vertigo attacks, primarily when getting out of bed or dipping my head and then bringing it back to vertical. After 2 weeks these subsided. I've always had a dysfunctional eustachian tube, and hearing issues that were dealt with by decongestants, nasal steroids (Flonase), and ear canal irrigation. However over the past 2 years, I've had progressive tinnitus at high tones, and as far as a year ago, my hearing was 'okay'. But since this spring, a low tinnitus kicked in, constant 'fullness' in my left ear, and conductive response dropped to zero in my left ear and an overall 20db drop in left ear response. MRI and blood tests were negative. But the ENT doctor at the time was not pursuing Meniere's because there was no vertigo issue. After 6 months (I've moved), I met with a new ENT and the tests showed another 20db loss. I've started low sodium and diuretics, dropped caffeine, and reduced my alcohol to 3 drinks a week, but after 3 weeks, not much to report.

Comment from: Peter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My Meniere's started with vertigo and nausea that went away for a while, but about one to two months later, the tinnitus started again, and for the last four months has not stopped. It's mostly in the left ear but also a bit in the right and more or less at the same pitch, but it fluctuates just slightly. The ENT specialist said I just have to accept it. Coming to terms with it has been tough, but I think it's slowly getting easier to accept. Day-time is manageable, lately I've often forgotten it's there, but night-time can be rough at times. Melatonin usually helps me get to sleep a bit easier. The vertigo is not as severe as it was right at the beginning, but it is still unsettling, especially when out in public. I've found I've started getting some mood swings too, which I think are likely from pent up frustration with the tinnitus. But I'm trying to just enjoy life and take pleasure in some of the simple things that I would have taken for granted before or never appreciated as much. Walks outside, a game of golf, gardening just the simple company of friends, video games, etc. I think a positive outlook goes a long way in being able to deal with this sometimes debilitating condition. I wish all fellow sufferers the best of luck in dealing with it.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?