Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 28

My husband first got Meniere's disease 25 years ago. He had dizziness, sickness, pressure, and hearing loss. It lasted 2 years and went away. It came back in 2011 with a vengeance; room spinning 24/7, constantly feeling sick, tinnitus in right ear, and loss of hearing. I have now been shown how to inject him with anti-sickness medication to help. He is now retired.

Comment from: Tater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease yesterday after only having symptoms for the past 2 weeks. It started quite suddenly at work. I had a fullness in my left ear and loud roaring, never any pain, and this has never gone away since. I have significant hearing loss as well. I have had 2 attacks of dizziness where I had to sit down and one day where I was nauseated but not spinning. I had a series of tests, and MRI to rule out tumor on the brain. After hearing that I did not have a tumor but have Meniere's disease, I count myself fortunate if this is my lot in life. I know it will be a struggle but I am in for the long haul. Good luck, my Meniere's friends!

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My symptom of Meniere's disease is that in my right ear, there is a sensation of a distorted hearing when in a noisy setting, small room with everyone taking, loud taking, hair drier, blender, etc. This sensation is in one ear. Now I am beginning to experience dizziness and occasional vertigo, even when turning in bed.

Comment from: Terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had Meniere's disease for 5 years now. My symptoms include vertigo, nausea, fatigue, brain fog, hearing loss, and tinnitus. After years of going to an ENT, she referred me to another ENT who specializes in dizziness. He gave me some options, all of which included destroying my balance nerve to alleviate the vertigo. I didn't want to go this route. I got on line and read everything I could on the disease. I found a vitamin regimen that has kept me symptom free (except for the hearing loss and the tinnitus) for four months now.

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

My Meniere's disease first started 31 years ago; left ear ringing, fullness, and vertigo. It lasted about 6 months and then after a vertigo attack and sleep, it was gone. Ten years later it came back while I was pregnant; only ear ringing and fullness. No vertigo until the night I had my son. I couldn't even lift my head to nurse him. Needless to say, it's 21 years later and although the vertigo is gone, I now have it in both ears. It sounds like a million crickets in my head. I've lost a lot of hearing in my left ear. What hearing I do have in that ear, is distorted.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've struggled with Meniere's disease for 15 years. Mine started when I began to take a birth control pill. By the time I realized that was the problem, it had done the damage. For women, avoid anything hormonal such as birth control, topical progesterone, etc. I use an herbal allergy medicine and it helps me a lot when I'm symptomatic. Something about pulling fluid from the middle ear may relieve fluid in the inner ear. I just started menopause, and it has been difficult. I notice over 15 years, the dizziness and nausea do get more manageable. When I first got it, I would lay on the floor for hours with the room swirling, now I almost never have it that bad.

Comment from: Sokun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had this dizziness all my life, I can't do certain things like normal kids would do. But my parents never knew what was wrong with me. I recently was very sick for about two weeks and vomiting. I went to see a specialist and he diagnosed that I have this Meniere's disease.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?