Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: Pepper, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have been diagnosed with Meniere's disease. At first I was very positive about the whole thing, but now my fear of food, my fear of salts, the nausea, and sleepiness are really starting to get to me. I eat something I feel nauseous. I know that I have to kick the caffeine that is the last thing to go on an ever growing list of things I enjoy and enjoy doing. I don't think people fully understand what all of it feels like unless they are going through it. If anyone has any additional tips I would love to have some. I recently started on Serc, and started to take B vitamins as well. It seems to be working but the sick feeling in my stomach is always there.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

My first attack of Meniere's disease was over 20 years ago. I had profuse sweating and dizziness, spinning, vomiting, loss of hearing and fullness. I was taken to an emergency clinic since the people with me thought it was a heart attack. I was referred to an ENT who diagnosed Meniere's syndrome in my left ear. Prior to this first attack I remember numerous occasions of hearing water running, which of course was not real. I had episodic tinnitus for years before that which would resolve themselves. After about a year it resolved with some hearing loss and occasional ear fullness. I really did well for about 10 years but it returned with a vengeance. I felt I had been hit on the left side of my head with a ball bat; ear roaring and all the other symptoms. Now it is back and never seems to go away; a constant ache for years now and now it is developing in the right ear. It is very hard to cope. I am taking diuretic, exercise and trying to enjoy life although it seems impossible most of the time. What a horrible disease.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 28

My husband first got Meniere's disease 25 years ago. He had dizziness, sickness, pressure, and hearing loss. It lasted 2 years and went away. It came back in 2011 with a vengeance; room spinning 24/7, constantly feeling sick, tinnitus in right ear, and loss of hearing. I have now been shown how to inject him with anti-sickness medication to help. He is now retired.

Comment from: Tater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease yesterday after only having symptoms for the past 2 weeks. It started quite suddenly at work. I had a fullness in my left ear and loud roaring, never any pain, and this has never gone away since. I have significant hearing loss as well. I have had 2 attacks of dizziness where I had to sit down and one day where I was nauseated but not spinning. I had a series of tests, and MRI to rule out tumor on the brain. After hearing that I did not have a tumor but have Meniere's disease, I count myself fortunate if this is my lot in life. I know it will be a struggle but I am in for the long haul. Good luck, my Meniere's friends!

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My symptom of Meniere's disease is that in my right ear, there is a sensation of a distorted hearing when in a noisy setting, small room with everyone taking, loud taking, hair drier, blender, etc. This sensation is in one ear. Now I am beginning to experience dizziness and occasional vertigo, even when turning in bed.

Comment from: Southerngirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease 2 years ago.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?