Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: masoudh, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

I have a heavy vertigo because of Meniere's disease that I can't walk 2 steps! The world is circling around me!

Comment from: vparadise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had Meniere"s disease since 2012, and then it went away, and came back in 2014 with different symptoms. I drove myself to the doctor, but soon thought that that was a bad idea, when I started entering other lanes.

Comment from: hiddenlove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

For several years I had vomit, nausea and ringing in my ear and never knew what it was until I found out I have Meniere's disease.

Comment from: gabstardeluxe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had vertigo for about a year and two months before my dad died, I ignored my symptoms and it wasn't until about 8 months after he died I found out I was quite unwell. Renal failure runs in my family so I can't take diuretics. I am on stemital and serc for the Meniere's. I have had quite A few falls and I feel like I'm being thrown around on a roller coaster. The tinnitus is mainly in my right ear. I hate not being able to bend down and my house is atrocious. =(

Comment from: mammy donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had the symptoms for about 10 years but was actually diagnosed with Meniere's disease about four years ago. I have all of the common symptoms, but in the last year, I have started having the sensation of loosing my stomach (like when you are on a roller coaster, and you go over the top or that big dip at the bottom). It is so realistic that I actually let out a loud moan. I have never read of a symptom like this. I have said many of times that it is a good thing that I am totally incapacitated during these attacks. There are times when I would rather be gone than to go through this feeling.

Comment from: Skye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, although I have been suffering with symptoms for more than nine years. The first time I had an attack, I was so scared. I was too dizzy to see the numbers on the phone to call my husband. It felt as if I was going to be flung off the Earth! It made me vomit and walk into walls. I've had a few attacks like that since, but they don't seem to be quite as violent anymore, just more frequent. I don't have the ringing or hearing loss, and that is why it's taken the ENTs so long to diagnose it. It is quite debilitating. I feel tired and kind of spaced out at best and then the dizzy spells in between; especially when I look up, lie down, etc.

Comment from: widget, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been treated for Meniere's disease for three years now. My vertigo was so bad that on the onset I had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. I could not get off the floor without assistance. Since then, I have learned to stick with a low-sodium diet and to stay on my diuretic.

Comment from: nener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have had Meniere's disease for at least 20 years. I take triamterene/hcz 37.5/25, one in the morning and one in the evening. I was also told to keep my sodium at 2,000 mg or less and to eliminate caffeine and chocolate from my diet. One doctor suggested I take Lipogen, which is a B complex formula with vitamin C. I believe this helps also, and it is cheap to buy, but you may have to ask your pharmacy to order it for you. You can also take Lipoflavonoid instead of the Lipogen, but it is much more expensive.

Comment from: Geri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about eight years ago. I had vertigo only once. I take the water pills, and it seems to calm the noise. It is not as loud, and I have gotten used to it being there. I haven't noticed my balance changing. I have lost about 30% of my hearing. That just happened recently, like overnight. My ear specialist gave me prednisone in case there was an infection.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?