Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: widget, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been treated for Meniere's disease for three years now. My vertigo was so bad that on the onset I had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. I could not get off the floor without assistance. Since then, I have learned to stick with a low-sodium diet and to stay on my diuretic.

Comment from: nener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have had Meniere's disease for at least 20 years. I take triamterene/hcz 37.5/25, one in the morning and one in the evening. I was also told to keep my sodium at 2,000 mg or less and to eliminate caffeine and chocolate from my diet. One doctor suggested I take Lipogen, which is a B complex formula with vitamin C. I believe this helps also, and it is cheap to buy, but you may have to ask your pharmacy to order it for you. You can also take Lipoflavonoid instead of the Lipogen, but it is much more expensive.

Comment from: Geri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about eight years ago. I had vertigo only once. I take the water pills, and it seems to calm the noise. It is not as loud, and I have gotten used to it being there. I haven't noticed my balance changing. I have lost about 30% of my hearing. That just happened recently, like overnight. My ear specialist gave me prednisone in case there was an infection.

Comment from: Better23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I've had Meniere's disease since I was 16. I went through many doctors to find out what it was. He stuck me on a diuretic, and I changed my diet to low-sodium. So far, I have few attacks. Fortunately, I have what my doctor called a "rare" case of it. I have no vomiting or ringing in the ears, but I have the vertigo and the nausea. My best advice is to stick with a low-salt diet and drink plenty of fluids! Oh, and see the ENT doctor!

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: November 13

I found that water pills helped to lesson the severity of Meniere's disease but didn't take it away. I found that when I started to drink about three glasses of water a day, my attacks have completely gone away. My sister told me that she read somewhere that if you don't drink enough water, your body will store it. That made sense to me. So I started to drink water every day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered with Meniere's disease for more than 15 years. I have constant roaring and ringing. The past year has been the worst with dizziness and vertigo and sometimes severe nausea. I have been on hydrochlorothiazide for several years.

Comment from: klebrig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was at a point that I could not move my head without everything spinning, nausea, some problems with my sight (grayness around edges and some bright white flashing lights), ear ringing and fullness, and stability problems. I had fallen quite a few times. I had asked a doctor to check me for and inner ear infection. I had to go through surgery for Meniere's (the tube insertion and the 3 days of Cortizone profusion). It did help immensely, along with medication, but it is starting to get bad again, and the doctor told me that it might, he also said that it could have been caused from a very bad fall that I had. I have been living with this for about 5-6 years now.

Comment from: LisaAnn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I've had vertigo 24/7 for 5 weeks now and just was told yesterday I have Meniere disease. I am getting a cat scan done today and hearing test. My ear feels like it's plugged like being on an air plane. Being dizzy is the worst. I am just praying that it all stops soon.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?