Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: peace be with you, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had Meniere's disease for about two years now. My symptoms vary. I call them the good, the not-so-good, and the ugly. My good is when I just have a lot of noise in my ear. The not-so-good is when I am motion-sick but still able to what I need to do around the house. My ugly is spending anywhere from two to six hours on the floor in the bathroom spinning out of control, throwing up, and having sweats and chills. I no longer go anywhere by myself out of fear it will strike when I am out. But I don't let it get me down. I know that God is in control, and it is just something I have to deal with, hopefully with grace. I look at it as, “It could be worse. It could be fatal.” So I pray that God will give you all the peace and comfort you need as you go through this. It is not fun, but it is doable.

Comment from: Frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

After ringing in the ears, some hearing loss, and a bout with vertigo, I went to see an ENT. He nailed it: Meniere's syndrome. I cut back sodium intake to less than 1,000 mg a day, take water pills if I feel the need to, drink lots of good fluids, take vitamins, and carry some sedatives with me for a “just in case” scenario. I have only had four bouts with vertigo, but I always have a headache afterward. I have been able to “manage” this disease now with no vertigo (although I have some ringing still and occasional hearing loss) for more than five years.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I have suffered form Meniere's for about 10 years. It started with fullness in the left ear and then, one morning, a whirling sensation. I was scared and had no idea what it was. I was transported by ambulance to the ER. They thought it was high blood pressure. A few weeks later, I checked with an ENT. He diagnosed it as Meniere's. I am going in for surgery tomorrow because of the vertigo. I am at my wits end with the vertigo.

Comment from: msmistya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed with Meniere's about five years ago. I have awful vertigo and ringing in my ears, but no nausea. My doctor prescribed meclizine, which helps. I started taking a multivitamin a few months back and have seen major improvements in the vertigo. I was dizzy daily before, now I still have the "sensation" but not the overwhelming, dropped-to-my-knees attacks like before. I don't know if taking the vitamins helped or if it's my imagination, but I can tell a difference when I don't take them. The vertigo gets worse.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had two Meniere's disease attacks about four years ago. I was extremely sick, could not open my eyes or eat, and was in bed for two days. When my hearing was checked, I already had 30% low-base hearing loss. I tried the water pills, and they just did not work that well. I reduced my sodium intake to around 1,000 mg a day (which is very bland food, but you get used to it). I have not had vertigo or an attack since. When I get a slight queasy feeling or tinnitus (I know I have had too much sodium that day), I will take a half of a motion sickness pill.

Comment from: WhatHelpedMe , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I would highly encourage everyone to insist that their physicians give them a trial of hydrochlorothiazide, which is a diuretic. I had roaring tinnitus, with fullness and pressure (no vertigo) in my right ear for months, and did all the tests, nothing was working to alleviate the roaring and thumping sound. I noticed that when storm fronts approached, there was a pattern of it worsening, and that I heard tones in two different pitches (example: if I called someone on my cellphone, the dial tone would be lower in my affected ear, and higher--normal--in my unaffected ear. These are all symptoms of atypical Meniere's, in other words, no vertigo, but all of the other fullness/pressure, roaring symptoms. After putting up with this for 6 months, I finally insisted on my doctor's trying to treat it as Meniere's, and sure enough, the very day I tried the hydrochlorothiazide water pill, the fullness was much relieved, the pitch difference would be gone for the day, and the roaring would be almost unnoticeable. Please try this and pass the word on to others, in case their doctor's tell them it's just incurable tinnitus. I have to take the pill for the rest of my life, but it is very much worth it. It also prevents further hearing loss. So it's important to have this treatment.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?