Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I have suffered form Meniere's for about 10 years. It started with fullness in the left ear and then, one morning, a whirling sensation. I was scared and had no idea what it was. I was transported by ambulance to the ER. They thought it was high blood pressure. A few weeks later, I checked with an ENT. He diagnosed it as Meniere's. I am going in for surgery tomorrow because of the vertigo. I am at my wits end with the vertigo.

Comment from: msmistya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed with Meniere's about five years ago. I have awful vertigo and ringing in my ears, but no nausea. My doctor prescribed meclizine, which helps. I started taking a multivitamin a few months back and have seen major improvements in the vertigo. I was dizzy daily before, now I still have the "sensation" but not the overwhelming, dropped-to-my-knees attacks like before. I don't know if taking the vitamins helped or if it's my imagination, but I can tell a difference when I don't take them. The vertigo gets worse.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had two Meniere's disease attacks about four years ago. I was extremely sick, could not open my eyes or eat, and was in bed for two days. When my hearing was checked, I already had 30% low-base hearing loss. I tried the water pills, and they just did not work that well. I reduced my sodium intake to around 1,000 mg a day (which is very bland food, but you get used to it). I have not had vertigo or an attack since. When I get a slight queasy feeling or tinnitus (I know I have had too much sodium that day), I will take a half of a motion sickness pill.

Comment from: WhatHelpedMe , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I would highly encourage everyone to insist that their physicians give them a trial of hydrochlorothiazide, which is a diuretic. I had roaring tinnitus, with fullness and pressure (no vertigo) in my right ear for months, and did all the tests, nothing was working to alleviate the roaring and thumping sound. I noticed that when storm fronts approached, there was a pattern of it worsening, and that I heard tones in two different pitches (example: if I called someone on my cellphone, the dial tone would be lower in my affected ear, and higher--normal--in my unaffected ear. These are all symptoms of atypical Meniere's, in other words, no vertigo, but all of the other fullness/pressure, roaring symptoms. After putting up with this for 6 months, I finally insisted on my doctor's trying to treat it as Meniere's, and sure enough, the very day I tried the hydrochlorothiazide water pill, the fullness was much relieved, the pitch difference would be gone for the day, and the roaring would be almost unnoticeable. Please try this and pass the word on to others, in case their doctor's tell them it's just incurable tinnitus. I have to take the pill for the rest of my life, but it is very much worth it. It also prevents further hearing loss. So it's important to have this treatment.

Comment from: gabstardeluxe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had vertigo for about a year and two months before my dad died, I ignored my symptoms and it wasn't until about 8 months after he died I found out I was quite unwell. Renal failure runs in my family so I can't take diuretics. I am on stemital and serc for the Meniere's. I have had quite A few falls and I feel like I'm being thrown around on a roller coaster. The tinnitus is mainly in my right ear. I hate not being able to bend down and my house is atrocious. =(

Comment from: mammy donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had the symptoms for about 10 years but was actually diagnosed with Meniere's disease about four years ago. I have all of the common symptoms, but in the last year, I have started having the sensation of loosing my stomach (like when you are on a roller coaster, and you go over the top or that big dip at the bottom). It is so realistic that I actually let out a loud moan. I have never read of a symptom like this. I have said many of times that it is a good thing that I am totally incapacitated during these attacks. There are times when I would rather be gone than to go through this feeling.

Comment from: Skye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, although I have been suffering with symptoms for more than nine years. The first time I had an attack, I was so scared. I was too dizzy to see the numbers on the phone to call my husband. It felt as if I was going to be flung off the Earth! It made me vomit and walk into walls. I've had a few attacks like that since, but they don't seem to be quite as violent anymore, just more frequent. I don't have the ringing or hearing loss, and that is why it's taken the ENTs so long to diagnose it. It is quite debilitating. I feel tired and kind of spaced out at best and then the dizzy spells in between; especially when I look up, lie down, etc.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?