Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: Terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had Meniere's disease for 5 years now. My symptoms include vertigo, nausea, fatigue, brain fog, hearing loss, and tinnitus. After years of going to an ENT, she referred me to another ENT who specializes in dizziness. He gave me some options, all of which included destroying my balance nerve to alleviate the vertigo. I didn't want to go this route. I got on line and read everything I could on the disease. I found a vitamin regimen that has kept me symptom free (except for the hearing loss and the tinnitus) for four months now.

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

My Meniere's disease first started 31 years ago; left ear ringing, fullness, and vertigo. It lasted about 6 months and then after a vertigo attack and sleep, it was gone. Ten years later it came back while I was pregnant; only ear ringing and fullness. No vertigo until the night I had my son. I couldn't even lift my head to nurse him. Needless to say, it's 21 years later and although the vertigo is gone, I now have it in both ears. It sounds like a million crickets in my head. I've lost a lot of hearing in my left ear. What hearing I do have in that ear, is distorted.

Comment from: Sokun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had this dizziness all my life, I can't do certain things like normal kids would do. But my parents never knew what was wrong with me. I recently was very sick for about two weeks and vomiting. I went to see a specialist and he diagnosed that I have this Meniere's disease.

Comment from: ahh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with Meniere's disease. I have seen 6 different doctors, 3 specialists, countless tests, and Xanax, Klonopin, amitriptyline, to name a few drugs made it worse. I have been on so many diets I can't count. I cut out sugar, caffeine, alcohol, pastas, bread, and sodium as much as possible and still have attacks. Migraines to where I black out or start seeing dots all over the place, light hurts so I need to be in an extremely dark room, my vertigo is so bad I would be bed ridden for 2 to 3 days, I wouldn't sleep due to the tinnitus to where I had to hum myself to sleep. I wasn't allowed to drive, by the age of 34. I was on special duty at work. I run into walls, trip over things, etc.

Comment from: kamal, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 22

This is the story of successful recovery of a Meniere's patient. She had episodes of vertigo from 13 to 14 years before, initially 1 to 2 episodes in 2 to 3 years. Frequency of episodes increased in March 2005. Vertigo with vomiting lasted for 20 minutes. With repeated head movement and bending gradually tinnitus appeared. Doctors suggested audiometric and other investigations. This situation remained unchanged for last 9 years. They concluded it as incurable Meniere's disease. Initially the patient was on Vertin (betahistine) 8 mg to 24 mg 1 to 3 times daily, and Stugeron and Alprax occasionally; besides homeopathy and other treatments, none of which worked. This problem is due to the accumulation of fluid in inner ear. It was observed that during glycerol audiometry the problem was reduced. So to reduce the extra fluid osmotic diuretics were given. This reduced the problem to a great extent but its taste and feeling after the dose was not very agreeable. Therefore its herbal substitute was selected. One of best herbal diuretics is dandelion. It is available as homeopathic medicine. There has been no episode of vertigo since the first dose of diuretic was given.

Comment from: wilmoth7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had some of the symptoms of Meniere's disease when I was 52 (now 55); hearing loss in left ear, feeling of fullness. I kept trying ways to unclog it but nothing worked. One year I had 4 episodes of dizziness upon awakening in the morning and was nauseous and vomiting. I went back to sleep each time for a couple of hours and woke up just fine. It has been at least 2 years without dizziness. But my left ear progressively got worse with the hearing, the fullness and now it has had tinnitus, a low white type noise, I would call it, and now I get the pulsing sound with it. Sixty percent of hearing is lost in that ear. The other ear has some tinnitus but not very noticeable and the hearing is ok for my age. I was never diagnosed with Meniere"s by the doctor. He just called it hearing loss. One of the doctors who did a test on me said it could be Meniere"s and to cut back on salt. So maybe I have it and maybe I don"t, but it sure sounds similar to what I have been reading. The fact that it is in one ear and I had the vertigo spells and the fullness in the ear, which is the most annoying of all to me.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?