Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: ahh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with Meniere's disease. I have seen 6 different doctors, 3 specialists, countless tests, and Xanax, Klonopin, amitriptyline, to name a few drugs made it worse. I have been on so many diets I can't count. I cut out sugar, caffeine, alcohol, pastas, bread, and sodium as much as possible and still have attacks. Migraines to where I black out or start seeing dots all over the place, light hurts so I need to be in an extremely dark room, my vertigo is so bad I would be bed ridden for 2 to 3 days, I wouldn't sleep due to the tinnitus to where I had to hum myself to sleep. I wasn't allowed to drive, by the age of 34. I was on special duty at work. I run into walls, trip over things, etc.

Comment from: kamal, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 22

This is the story of successful recovery of a Meniere's patient. She had episodes of vertigo from 13 to 14 years before, initially 1 to 2 episodes in 2 to 3 years. Frequency of episodes increased in March 2005. Vertigo with vomiting lasted for 20 minutes. With repeated head movement and bending gradually tinnitus appeared. Doctors suggested audiometric and other investigations. This situation remained unchanged for last 9 years. They concluded it as incurable Meniere's disease. Initially the patient was on Vertin (betahistine) 8 mg to 24 mg 1 to 3 times daily, and Stugeron and Alprax occasionally; besides homeopathy and other treatments, none of which worked. This problem is due to the accumulation of fluid in inner ear. It was observed that during glycerol audiometry the problem was reduced. So to reduce the extra fluid osmotic diuretics were given. This reduced the problem to a great extent but its taste and feeling after the dose was not very agreeable. Therefore its herbal substitute was selected. One of best herbal diuretics is dandelion. It is available as homeopathic medicine. There has been no episode of vertigo since the first dose of diuretic was given.

Comment from: wilmoth7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had some of the symptoms of Meniere's disease when I was 52 (now 55); hearing loss in left ear, feeling of fullness. I kept trying ways to unclog it but nothing worked. One year I had 4 episodes of dizziness upon awakening in the morning and was nauseous and vomiting. I went back to sleep each time for a couple of hours and woke up just fine. It has been at least 2 years without dizziness. But my left ear progressively got worse with the hearing, the fullness and now it has had tinnitus, a low white type noise, I would call it, and now I get the pulsing sound with it. Sixty percent of hearing is lost in that ear. The other ear has some tinnitus but not very noticeable and the hearing is ok for my age. I was never diagnosed with Meniere"s by the doctor. He just called it hearing loss. One of the doctors who did a test on me said it could be Meniere"s and to cut back on salt. So maybe I have it and maybe I don"t, but it sure sounds similar to what I have been reading. The fact that it is in one ear and I had the vertigo spells and the fullness in the ear, which is the most annoying of all to me.

Comment from: Svbratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had Meniere's disease for 3 years now. Several times I have been out for the count, with the vertigo and vomiting. I have hearing loss in my right ear. I also have a constant loud ringing in that same ear. I am on water pills, exercise regular and try to eat a low sodium diet. These things help to reduce or minimize the attacks. I refuse to let this disease win.

Comment from: gumby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

In my early 20s I had dizzy spells and later in life I have had dizzy spells and total loss of equilibrium to the point of vomiting, and more frequently also. I have no hearing loss with the Meniere's disease, but very exceptional hearing.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm fighting a bit of a quandary in that the vertigo/nausea is not part of my symptomology, at least not now. Two years ago I was snorkeling and the next day I developed acute vertigo attacks, primarily when getting out of bed or dipping my head and then bringing it back to vertical. After 2 weeks these subsided. I've always had a dysfunctional eustachian tube, and hearing issues that were dealt with by decongestants, nasal steroids (Flonase), and ear canal irrigation. However over the past 2 years, I've had progressive tinnitus at high tones, and as far as a year ago, my hearing was 'okay'. But since this spring, a low tinnitus kicked in, constant 'fullness' in my left ear, and conductive response dropped to zero in my left ear and an overall 20db drop in left ear response. MRI and blood tests were negative. But the ENT doctor at the time was not pursuing Meniere's because there was no vertigo issue. After 6 months (I've moved), I met with a new ENT and the tests showed another 20db loss. I've started low sodium and diuretics, dropped caffeine, and reduced my alcohol to 3 drinks a week, but after 3 weeks, not much to report.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?