Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Comment from: vparadise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had Meniere"s disease since 2012, and then it went away, and came back in 2014 with different symptoms. I drove myself to the doctor, but soon thought that that was a bad idea, when I started entering other lanes.

Comment from: hiddenlove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

For several years I had vomit, nausea and ringing in my ear and never knew what it was until I found out I have Meniere's disease.

Comment from: kpm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have Meniere's disease for 25 years or so. For many years when I initially was diagnosed I followed the low sodium diet and went through every known treatment to treat the debilitating vertigo. Nothing had any real effect. What changed my life and brought the vertigo under control is when my doctor prescribed Dyazide (brand only) and the use of a Meniett device. This device pulses air through the tube in my ear drum and helps flush moisture from the inner ear. I still have minor episodes, tinnitus, and severe hearing loss but I can live, work and ride my bike.

Comment from: young_meniere's, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am 29 and have been suffering with Meniere's for 14 years. It has been beyond awful. Vertigo, hearing loss, tinnitus, feeling as if I always have the flu, sound sensitivity, the whole bit. There have been points in my life that were very difficult ... at times I considered quitting my job, quitting my family, and giving up on trying to live a productive life. I actually felt that bad! I've tried many things: the Meniette device, profusions, vitamins of all sorts, sound therapy, water pills, etc. Nothing seemed to help a ton. They say there is no cure. But lately, I've found success with my own treatment. I have been riding my bike to work 13 miles each way - I think it helps me use my good ear's balance system and keep it strong. I think that the cardio exercise helps keep my ear and body strong. I also eat as healthy as possible and get additional exercise at the gym. I still do the music therapy when I can (sound therapy international). I also take vitamins when I can - especially Bioflavonoid (for ringing ear) and vinpocetine (helps with dizziness). I haven't been on a water pill for quite some time and no other perscriptions. My theory is that if I make my body as strong as it can be, it will compensate for the Meniere's. Basically, I'm making a positive out of a negative. I have Meniere's, there's no cure for it, so I used it as strong motivation to change my life and live as a healthy productive adult. So far, it has worked. I feel great! I haven't been dizzy for quite some time and when I have had attacks, they've been minor and I can go on. I also have tried to ignore the ringing and dizziness. It's really all in my head...I'm not on a carnival ride or a concert even though it feels like it. Positive thoughts work! If you think about your pain and ear noise all day, it's right there with you. If you try to focus on other activities, it can go to the background. I feel so much better and I'm living life. I'm no doctor, but my advice to anyone is, get healthy, stay positive, treat your body well and fight Meniere's. Don't let it get you down! Fight it. It's just a tiny little enlarged sac in your ear. It won't kill you, don't let it get you down. Best wishes and good luck!

Comment from: peace be with you, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had Meniere's disease for about two years now. My symptoms vary. I call them the good, the not-so-good, and the ugly. My good is when I just have a lot of noise in my ear. The not-so-good is when I am motion-sick but still able to what I need to do around the house. My ugly is spending anywhere from two to six hours on the floor in the bathroom spinning out of control, throwing up, and having sweats and chills. I no longer go anywhere by myself out of fear it will strike when I am out. But I don't let it get me down. I know that God is in control, and it is just something I have to deal with, hopefully with grace. I look at it as, “It could be worse. It could be fatal.” So I pray that God will give you all the peace and comfort you need as you go through this. It is not fun, but it is doable.

Comment from: Frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

After ringing in the ears, some hearing loss, and a bout with vertigo, I went to see an ENT. He nailed it: Meniere's syndrome. I cut back sodium intake to less than 1,000 mg a day, take water pills if I feel the need to, drink lots of good fluids, take vitamins, and carry some sedatives with me for a “just in case” scenario. I have only had four bouts with vertigo, but I always have a headache afterward. I have been able to “manage” this disease now with no vertigo (although I have some ringing still and occasional hearing loss) for more than five years.

Meniere's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?