Melioidosis (Whitmore's disease) is an infectious disease caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei bacteria. Symptoms include bronchitis, pneumonia, fever, headache, loss of appetite, cough and chest pain. Treatment involves antibiotics or surgical removal of the lung abscess in severe cases.
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Doryx, and others)
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- trimethoprim, Trimpex (Discontinued Brand), Proloprim (Discontinued Brand), Primsol
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...learn more »
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...learn more »
In This Article
- Fever facts
- What is a fever?
- What causes a fever?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a fever?
- How is a fever diagnosed?
- How should someone take a temperature for fever?
- What is the treatment for a fever?
- When should someone seek medical care for a fever?
- What kind of doctors treat a fever?
- What are complications of a fever?
- What is the prognosis for a fever?
- Is it possible to prevent a fever?
- Where can people find more information about fevers?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...learn more »
Bioterrorism is a form of terrorism where there is the intentional release of biological agents such as viruses, germs, or...learn more »
In This Article
- What is bioterrorism?
- What are the biological agents that can be utilized for bioterrorism?
- What are the causes of bioterrorism in food?
- What are other sources for detailed information on bioterrorism?
- How can I prepare myself for a bioterrorism attack?
- What are the warning signs of a bioterrorism attack?
- What should I do if there has been a bioterrorism attack?
- How do I know if I have been exposed to a bioterrorism agent?
- Should I have some antibiotics on hand just in case I get exposed?