Patient Comments: Melasma - Location on Body

Please describe where on your body you experienced melasma.

Comment from: strikenh1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am Hispanic and Native American. I was struck by lightning 9 years ago and the doctor put me on Topamax and Cymbalta for pain. I am also on Synthroid since I became hypothyroid after my first child was born. I never had melasma before the lightning strike; however, after the accident I developed nerve damage to my left arm and hand as well as sensitivity to extreme heat and cold. I have melasma on my cheeks, lips, and under my eyes. It looks like a mask. It is more pronounced in the summer.

Comment from: Shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Check for copper toxicity! I developed my melasma while I was developing the copper toxicity I didn't know I had. I was on birth control for years, was a vegetarian and vegan for most of my life- no offense, wish I still could be, and had a copper IUD- not by choice. My Dr at the time insisted on it even though I was asking for tubal ligation. Thanks a lot buddy! I tried literally everything, every cream and lotion, dermatologists, endocrinologists, nothing's wrong according to them. It's a manifestation of an inner issue whether it's caused by pregnancy or copper, or some other reason. Creams and such may help somewhat, but they are NOT the solution. I have been seeing a naturopath for IV therapy, liver flushes specifically. Not only do I feel 100 million times better, but my melasma is MUCH lighter and breaking up and fading a lot. Just moved away from the desert, I'm sure that will certainly(!) contribute as well. Took me years to find out it was copper toxicity, hope this helps someone else look into this sooner if nothing else is working.

Comment from: cujosgrl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

i also was on Topamax for a few months last yr , and i am suppose to take synthroid for hypothyroid condition that was diagnosed last year. I have not taken my synthroid for about a month now and have noticed that i have Melasma on my cheeks and forehead. Im 37 years old and I do not expose my skin to the sun. this is however the first time I have had this condition. I just find it Ironic how strikenhg was also on same meds ... maybe they might be linked ??

Comment from: deepika, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 21

I have melasma symptoms on my face ever since last year.

Melasma - Causes Question: At what stage in your life did melasma occur, and what was the cause (if known)?
Melasma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your melasma?
Melasma - Prognosis Question: Describe your experience with melasma. Did it fade or go away?