Patient Comments: Melasma - Causes

At what stage in your life did melasma occur, and what was the cause (if known)?

Comment from: Lisa Torres, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have melasma. Mine started when I started peri-menopause. So mine is due to hormonal changes. My dermatologist prescribed a cream for me called Tri-Luma. About 5 days later, there was a noticeable difference and the brown spots looked so much lighter. Of course I use a really good sunscreen called La Roche-Posay. Most insurances don"t cover the cost of the Tri-Luma because it is for cosmetic purposes. The cost with tax is around $120.00 but well worth it. You only use very little.

Comment from: Lady Mai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm 35 years old. I did not have melasma during pregnancy but I started developing it afterwards when I went off my Synthroid for my hypothyroidism. It's bad now. I tried Obagi but it didn't make a difference plus I hate the smell of hydroquinone. I started using Lumnaskin for about 4 weeks now. My skin is lighter and firmer and melasma is lighter. My dermatologist asked what I did. I think maybe the Synthroid might have something to do with it.

Comment from: clooneyfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I'm 53 and I've had melasma for a few years now. It's over my upper lip, and it makes me look like I have a moustache. It fades over the winter and then reappears each summer when I go out in the sun. I've gone to the dermatologist for some fading creams, but they don't help much. I'm menopausal, but I don't take HRT. I still have hot flashes, so my hormones must still be active.

Comment from: simocrowe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I was 36 when melasma appeared. My mother is fair skinned and has many freckles. My father is a very mixed Trinidadian.

Comment from: joanne argyle pines, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I know what caused mine--it was the hyroquinone that my doc prescribed for tiny little scars and I stupidly used more than necessary. That chemical went down deep into my layers of skin. Hyroqinone is banned in Europe--I should have done my research before using this product.

Comment from: Confusedyoung, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 12 years old and I got melasma when I was 11. Everyone said it was a mustache; even my parents. I can't afford any treatment. I don't know the cause – probably the sun, because I'm not on birth control or pregnant.

Melasma - Location on Body Question: Please describe where on your body you experienced melasma.
Melasma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your melasma?
Melasma - Prognosis Question: Describe your experience with melasma. Did it fade or go away?