Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Alexandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a bright blue and red spot on my left arm near the elbow. I thought it was a bruise because I do a lot of gardening, but it didn't go away after a few months so I had it checked. As soon as the doctor looked at it, she knew it was melanoma. I was shocked because all of the photos I'd ever seen were brown or black; no one ever told me it could be bright red and blue. Luckily they got it out quickly. It took two surgeries, but it was only stage 1. Please be aware that something that looks like a bruise but doesn't go away needs to be checked out!

Published: July 08

In six weeks, I noticed a mole below my left rib cage increase in size, then grow outward, and eventually bleed. By the time I got a referral to a dermatologist to remove it, it was third-stage melanoma. After surgery (6 inch incision) of the mole area and two lymph node removals, I may have a 50% chance to survive five more years. Never take a chance, get checked out!

Comment from: kj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a mole that came up in 2002 on my right thigh. Went to dermatologist and he said it was fine. In 2010 it started changing shape and color, and eventually bled. I was diagnosed on 1-11-11 with stage2T2B tumor, It was removed 1-19-2011, with 1 lymph node, which was negative. I have a good chance of recurrence and am getting regular checkups and petscan in August. Recently found a new bump under my skin in my abdomen, I'll be watching that for growth. It is so important not to wait. I was caretaking my mom who had ovarian cancer, after my sister was killed skydiving, I honestly thought that mole couldn't be cancer after all I'd been thru-guess what, I was so wrong, please don't do what I did and think it won't happen to you.

Comment from: Kitty B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I noticed a small black dot on the back of my thigh. My dermatologist told me she was 99% sure it was nothing as it was tiny, but very dark and brand new. I was so unsettled that it was biopsied and I got a call a few weeks later confirming my suspicions that it was melanoma. Thank fully it was caught early (in situ). Lesson: Be your own health advocate. Anything new--have a biopsy. Err on the side of caution.

Comment from: jessica2011, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My daughter was just diagnosed with melanoma stage A1, and she is scared. She is only 25 and has been reading the pamphlets the doctor gave her, but they are only scaring her more.

Comment from: greg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

The thickness of the melanoma is 1.80mm. I am being sent for further test on May 8th. Could not get in before. Will keep all informed.

Comment from: Cliff H., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

2010. I noticed what I thought was hard skin under my big toe, obviously, you are really unable to see all, anyway, I paid a visit to my doctor, he suggested I should see a skin specialist at my local hospital, this I did, within 3 hrs I was in the medical room, where I had a Melanoma 2.9cm removed, within two weeks I was operated on and had my big toe and one next to it amputated. That was 3 yrs ago, although my operation, was a success, my other toe will not heal and I am in constant pain.

Comment from: survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma a few months back, had several surgeries and looking to get another breast exam. I'm in a "risk" of getting more cancer, I love the sun. I pray they find a cure, for cancer soon. Stay positive! ;)

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?