Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

At age 33 I had a small bleeding mole removed from under my left breast. It was melanoma, I had a wide excision and all margins came back clear. No other treatment. Twenty two years later, I now have stage 4 metastatic malignant melanoma. You are never cured of this disease. Don't let your guard down.

Comment from: Skywilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Four years ago I had a mole that scabbed and fell off. It was diagnosed as melanoma and had spread to one lymph node. Stage 3B. After many surgeries and a mega dose of interferon it recurred in the same spot while still taking immunotherapy. For the last four years I have been diligent on my follow up appointments and my scan schedule. My last Brain MRI was one year ago. In the course of two weeks while on vacation, I started having more intense headaches, some vision blurriness and a little confusion on my surroundings. I attributed this to jet lag and fatigue. When I returned home the symptoms didn't get any better. I went to the emergency room (ER) thinking I was having a stroke. An MRI showed a metastatic melanoma lesion the size of two golf balls in my right temporal lobe. Four weeks ago surgeons removed the entire lesion but some of my brain went with it. I have kicked melanoma three times and I will continue to fight until I can't. I am hoping that's the end of it. It's a horrible disease and does what it wants. It does not follow the natural progression of disease state like other cancers. It's unpredictable and sneaky. For those of us who keep fighting, congrats on your hard work, for those of us grieving someone they lost to melanoma, my heart goes out to you.

Comment from: melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I noticed a black head like spot on my nose. I popped it (as you would) and it bled. Then days after it got bigger and started to bleed occasionally, I bathed it with certain ointments and crèmes thinking this would help my blackhead go away. It gradually ulcerated and became increasingly larger, with a scab forming that would drop off, and then return. Days and months passed, and it was still there. I decided to go to my general physician (GP), who referred me to a skin specialist. My specialist diagnosed me with skin melanoma. Having surgery to remove it for me was quite painful and scary emotionally, and I ended up with stitches that then became infected. More surgery is required as cancer is still in the margins after being tested, so back to surgery I go on the 23rd of this month, fingers crossed this time they get it all. So for me this has been an eye opener, I'm 42 with 3 children, many years of sun exposure has done this to me. Please be aware of the danger of the sun is all I can say, and if you have any abnormal spots get them checked quickly.

Comment from: Alexandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a bright blue and red spot on my left arm near the elbow. I thought it was a bruise because I do a lot of gardening, but it didn't go away after a few months so I had it checked. As soon as the doctor looked at it, she knew it was melanoma. I was shocked because all of the photos I'd ever seen were brown or black; no one ever told me it could be bright red and blue. Luckily they got it out quickly. It took two surgeries, but it was only stage 1. Please be aware that something that looks like a bruise but doesn't go away needs to be checked out!

Published: July 08

In six weeks, I noticed a mole below my left rib cage increase in size, then grow outward, and eventually bleed. By the time I got a referral to a dermatologist to remove it, it was third-stage melanoma. After surgery (6 inch incision) of the mole area and two lymph node removals, I may have a 50% chance to survive five more years. Never take a chance, get checked out!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My results after having a wide excision of malignant melanoma were, T01000 and M87200.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?