Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my last period at 55. I was more stressed with the perimenopause. I never really had symptoms that were horrible. I don't sleep but now that I am 58 I am getting the symptoms, dry vagina, palpitations, hot flashes, and dropped bladder. I thought I was free and now my symptoms start.

Comment from: pfox333, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have known for about 10 years when I was weak and no appetite, that I have thrombocytopenia. After testing they found that platelets were in a range of 55 to 85 (below 100). In the last 6 months symptoms got worse and now causing joint pain in my lower back. They have told me that it is incurable but when I bleed and cannot stop I am to seek help and maybe transfusion. I am also diabetic.

Comment from: Frank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Around 1999 I developed nose bleeds. I saw an ear, nose and throat specialist and he said I had a deviated septum from a nose break and needed an operation. Until then, I should keep my nose packed with Vaseline petroleum jelly. I did this but of course it would run, I'd blow my nose and it would occur again (while working a full time job). After 15 years I decided to try Vaseline to just dissolve the blood clots (with Q-tips) but not to pack my nose with it. The Vaseline had the added benefit of stopping another nose bleed (unlike blowing you nose to clear it). After a few months, I no longer had nose bleeds. It has now been a few years without nose bleeds (and no further Vaseline use). This is anecdotal and there may be now cause and effect between how I used Vaseline and my nose bleeds stopping. But it certainly seems to be the most likely cure of a 15 year nose bleed.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

At age 33 I had a small bleeding mole removed from under my left breast. It was melanoma, I had a wide excision and all margins came back clear. No other treatment. Twenty two years later, I now have stage 4 metastatic malignant melanoma. You are never cured of this disease. Don't let your guard down.

Comment from: Skywilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Four years ago I had a mole that scabbed and fell off. It was diagnosed as melanoma and had spread to one lymph node. Stage 3B. After many surgeries and a mega dose of interferon it recurred in the same spot while still taking immunotherapy. For the last four years I have been diligent on my follow up appointments and my scan schedule. My last Brain MRI was one year ago. In the course of two weeks while on vacation, I started having more intense headaches, some vision blurriness and a little confusion on my surroundings. I attributed this to jet lag and fatigue. When I returned home the symptoms didn't get any better. I went to the emergency room (ER) thinking I was having a stroke. An MRI showed a metastatic melanoma lesion the size of two golf balls in my right temporal lobe. Four weeks ago surgeons removed the entire lesion but some of my brain went with it. I have kicked melanoma three times and I will continue to fight until I can't. I am hoping that's the end of it. It's a horrible disease and does what it wants. It does not follow the natural progression of disease state like other cancers. It's unpredictable and sneaky. For those of us who keep fighting, congrats on your hard work, for those of us grieving someone they lost to melanoma, my heart goes out to you.

Comment from: Grieving, 25-34 Female Published: June 06

After being treated with radiation and chemotherapy, my hubby could not have his last two chemotherapy treatments as his platelets were low! Three months later he had to have an emergency blood transfusion as his hemoglobin was 5 and platelet count was 30! He didn't make it. He was always tired. And lost his appetite. Now he is gone.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?