Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Published: April 07

Almost 4 weeks ago I had a mole removed in my local doctor's office a week later it came back melanoma cancer. Last week I had my surgery. A 5 inch cut just above my belly button left side. They also took two lymph nodes from my left arm pit. Now I have a two week wait, this is the hardest part. I'm scared. Two days before I found out it was cancer I lost a close friend to this same thing.

Comment from: rocku, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 05

My melanoma was found in a mole that grew larger on my face. They told me it is stage II. I never expected to hear what I heard on Thursday, and I am just shocked about what melanoma really is.

Comment from: mom2b, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was diagnosed when I was 24. I just went in to get checked because my mother had skin cancer when she was 26 so I thought I should get checked out just to be safe. I had some spots removed and then that was all. My Dermatologist did not tell me I had to come back or anything. Now I am 25 and seven months pregnant and the cancer is back and growing rapidly due the HGH I am producing. Now I wish I would have gotten a second opinion sooner. I didn't know you had to do follow up visits. No one ever told me.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?