Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

On May 12 gynecologist found a black mole on inner thigh and told me to get to dermatologist quick. I couldn't get in for 9 days but finally went and he said it was nothing but would take a slice and send it off to be sure. Two weeks after the original doctor found the mole I was given the horrible news that it was a melanoma in situ. Five days later I was in surgery. They did not do Mohs which I thought they would, but instead took enough to make a clear margin. Again a wait of 2 days but they say it is clear and no cancer found now.

Comment from: greg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

The thickness of the melanoma is 1.80mm. I am being sent for further test on May 8th. Could not get in before. Will keep all informed.

Comment from: Cliff H., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

2010. I noticed what I thought was hard skin under my big toe, obviously, you are really unable to see all, anyway, I paid a visit to my doctor, he suggested I should see a skin specialist at my local hospital, this I did, within 3 hrs I was in the medical room, where I had a Melanoma 2.9cm removed, within two weeks I was operated on and had my big toe and one next to it amputated. That was 3 yrs ago, although my operation, was a success, my other toe will not heal and I am in constant pain.

Comment from: survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma a few months back, had several surgeries and looking to get another breast exam. I'm in a "risk" of getting more cancer, I love the sun. I pray they find a cure, for cancer soon. Stay positive! ;)

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 24

I am currently sitting in a hotel while 17-year-old son is having side effects from interferon. He was diagnosed a couple months ago with stage 3 melanoma. If nothing else, I would like to preach to please use sunscreen and avoid tanning beds. We are sun lovers (My son is a lifeguard), and we paid little attention to sunscreen. This can happen. My son is young and this treatment is horrible but we will be OK. He will be OK.

Comment from: Arubaqueenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a 52 year old healthy woman who loves the sun. I do not have any sun damage and take very good care of my skin. My mother in law noticed this tiny little black spot (the size of a pencil point) on my lower back. Three months later I had it checked out by a Dermatologist. She said it looked small but had to be removed for biopsy. Three weeks later I get a call from pathology telling me I have a malignant level 2 melanoma. I was very scared and shocked. They scheduled me for surgery three days later and cut out a very large margin of tissue. If it had been left without any fast procedure outpatient surgery. I think my problem would have been way more in depth of procedure to get this in control. My advice to all of you who are just looking for an answer here on this site is: Get It Removed!

Comment from: Hazman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I am 57 years old and have spent a lot of my life in the sun. I've always had moles here and there. A couple of months ago I went to my GP to burn off a few "pre-cancer" crusties here and there. He froze some other moles and then circled one with a pen and told me to keep an eye on this one and if it starts growing he'll biopsy it. It was small, about the size of a sharpened crayon and dark brown. Not weird shape or anything, just a darker mole. Well it didn't really grow so I told him I wanted it removed. Got a call a couple of days ago, malignant Melanoma. I have another visit to the doctor tomorrow to find out the next steps. I'm a little bit frightened, but we'll see what happens.

Comment from: Samlove28, 25-34 Female Published: October 26

I am 28, and I got diagnosed with melanoma about three weeks ago. I got great news yesterday that they got it all out, and all I can tell anyone of you all is to pray and have faith in God and ask Him to heal your body and rebuke the melanoma as you never have had it. You all will be just fine. Love your Lord always, and trust in Him and in the name of Jesus.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?