Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Pamela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My melanoma, which began as a flat bleeding mole on my leg, was diagnosed by tissue biopsy. I had surgery to remove the affected tissue, which the surgeon believed had not reached my muscle tissue, with skin graft repair. I was diagnosed with recurrent melanoma after discovering a lump in my groin area which turned out to be a cancerous lymph node. At that time, although I had no follow-up treatment after the first melanoma surgery, I was put on a course of Interferon for one year. I am now one a half years post-treatment having three months blood work with my oncologist and so far, I have had no reoccurrence.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

For the past few years I've had check-ups by the Dermatologist. Last year I showed her a light brown mole on my neck. She said it wasn't anything to worry about. This year when I went for by check I told her the mole was growing. She said I don't think it's anything, but since you say it's growing, I'll biopsy it. It turned out to be a melanoma. It was in the early stages but I had to have a skin graft on my neck and the plastic surgeon said the pathology report shows they got all of it. That was a little over a week ago. The place on my neck looks horrible, but I am sure glad it's gone. I have an appointment with the Dermatologist in December. I already about 3 places I'm anxious for her to see.

Comment from: Ga.Peach, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 18

I am 45 and 2 years ago I had a lymph node in the left groin area swell. I had a mole removed 3 years prior above my left knee. This was Melanoma and a surgery now an eight inch scar remains and I was told all margins were clear. Now the lymph node was needle biopsied and it came back Squamous Cell. My doctors then wanted tissue, so a removal of the lymph node was done and it came back malignant melanoma. They went in and removed the remaining nodes even after PET scan showed no signs of it spreading, but it had spread to two more of the nodes. I then had to go through 49 weeks or 155 Chemo treatments. I am a year over the treatments but I still have a lot of the symptoms. Watching and waiting and hoping it will not return. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my Life!

Published: August 01

After watching a black spot appear on my left forearm and get larger, itch and change in color, I finally made an appointment with a dermatologist after two years. He took one look at it and said he was sure it was melanoma. He removed the nodule for biopsy and it came back a nodular melanoma, Clark's Level IV and Breslow Level II. They did a wide excision of the area on my arm and also removed two sentinel lymph nodes. It all came back okay. with no spread indicated at this time. I will have a follow up appointment just for a skin check with the local dermatologist at three months after surgery and at six months a PET scan. Hopefully the cancer will not have spread anywhere else. It was 3.4 mm thick so was considered an immediate thickness melanoma. I will be having check-ups every three months for 2 years, every 6 months for the next 3 years and once a year after that.

Published: July 28

When I was 27 when a small mole on my face started getting darker. It looked black. So, I went to the doctor who told me he was sure it was not cancerous, but just to be safe referred me to a specialist. He took one look at it and removed it there and then arranged for me to come back in two weeks for my results. When I went back two weeks later he confirmed it was a malignant melanoma and checked my body for further moles. Another mole on my back was removed for examination and they arranged for a plastic surgeon to take a larger piece of skin from my face and replace it with a piece of skin from behind my ear. My other mole was fine. I've had 6 moles removed in the last 4 years and 3 of them were pre-cancerous. I was very lucky that they caught my mole early and would recommend anyone who does not like the look of their moles to contact their doctor straight away. It does not matter if they find nothing wrong with your mole, its better to live than think why I didn't go earlier.

Comment from: greg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

The thickness of the melanoma is 1.80mm. I am being sent for further test on May 8th. Could not get in before. Will keep all informed.

Comment from: Cliff H., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

2010. I noticed what I thought was hard skin under my big toe, obviously, you are really unable to see all, anyway, I paid a visit to my doctor, he suggested I should see a skin specialist at my local hospital, this I did, within 3 hrs I was in the medical room, where I had a Melanoma 2.9cm removed, within two weeks I was operated on and had my big toe and one next to it amputated. That was 3 yrs ago, although my operation, was a success, my other toe will not heal and I am in constant pain.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?