Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Published: August 01

After watching a black spot appear on my left forearm and get larger, itch and change in color, I finally made an appointment with a dermatologist after two years. He took one look at it and said he was sure it was melanoma. He removed the nodule for biopsy and it came back a nodular melanoma, Clark's Level IV and Breslow Level II. They did a wide excision of the area on my arm and also removed two sentinel lymph nodes. It all came back okay. with no spread indicated at this time. I will have a follow up appointment just for a skin check with the local dermatologist at three months after surgery and at six months a PET scan. Hopefully the cancer will not have spread anywhere else. It was 3.4 mm thick so was considered an immediate thickness melanoma. I will be having check-ups every three months for 2 years, every 6 months for the next 3 years and once a year after that.

Published: July 28

When I was 27 when a small mole on my face started getting darker. It looked black. So, I went to the doctor who told me he was sure it was not cancerous, but just to be safe referred me to a specialist. He took one look at it and removed it there and then arranged for me to come back in two weeks for my results. When I went back two weeks later he confirmed it was a malignant melanoma and checked my body for further moles. Another mole on my back was removed for examination and they arranged for a plastic surgeon to take a larger piece of skin from my face and replace it with a piece of skin from behind my ear. My other mole was fine. I've had 6 moles removed in the last 4 years and 3 of them were pre-cancerous. I was very lucky that they caught my mole early and would recommend anyone who does not like the look of their moles to contact their doctor straight away. It does not matter if they find nothing wrong with your mole, its better to live than think why I didn't go earlier.

Comment from: Arubaqueenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a 52 year old healthy woman who loves the sun. I do not have any sun damage and take very good care of my skin. My mother in law noticed this tiny little black spot (the size of a pencil point) on my lower back. Three months later I had it checked out by a Dermatologist. She said it looked small but had to be removed for biopsy. Three weeks later I get a call from pathology telling me I have a malignant level 2 melanoma. I was very scared and shocked. They scheduled me for surgery three days later and cut out a very large margin of tissue. If it had been left without any fast procedure outpatient surgery. I think my problem would have been way more in depth of procedure to get this in control. My advice to all of you who are just looking for an answer here on this site is: Get It Removed!

Comment from: Hazman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I am 57 years old and have spent a lot of my life in the sun. I've always had moles here and there. A couple of months ago I went to my GP to burn off a few "pre-cancer" crusties here and there. He froze some other moles and then circled one with a pen and told me to keep an eye on this one and if it starts growing he'll biopsy it. It was small, about the size of a sharpened crayon and dark brown. Not weird shape or anything, just a darker mole. Well it didn't really grow so I told him I wanted it removed. Got a call a couple of days ago, malignant Melanoma. I have another visit to the doctor tomorrow to find out the next steps. I'm a little bit frightened, but we'll see what happens.

Comment from: Samlove28, 25-34 Female Published: October 26

I am 28, and I got diagnosed with melanoma about three weeks ago. I got great news yesterday that they got it all out, and all I can tell anyone of you all is to pray and have faith in God and ask Him to heal your body and rebuke the melanoma as you never have had it. You all will be just fine. Love your Lord always, and trust in Him and in the name of Jesus.

Comment from: Liz, 35-44 Female Published: April 23

I am 44 years old. I have been seeing a dermatologist for more than 20 years for acne and moles. I think I was 22 when I had my first set of moles removed. I have had about 25 removed over the years, and this year, after taking two more, one came back malignant melanoma. I returned for a cut of a bigger area around to make sure they have it all. The doctor is very, very positive that she did. We shall wait and see. I will be back to have four or five more removed; they are changing all the time. My advice is to make sure your doctor takes every precaution; it's not worth the risk.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I never had any visible melanomas of my skin, but one was found in my lung when I hurt my back and had a CT scan. It was surgically removed, and I had chemo. It has now been three years without any problems.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?